• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2070 super or 2080 super

Associate
Hi guys, I've been building systems for years but I'm at a bit of a loose end right now.

I been holding out for the 2080 super which I was hoping OC would get stock of next week. In the meantime I've been looking into the specs of the 2070 super and now I'm questioning which one to get.

Is the performance of the 2080 super compared to the 2070 super worth the extra money?

Hoping you guys can guide me,

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys, I've been building systems for years but I'm at a bit of a loose end right now.

I been holding out for the 2080 super which I was hoping OC would get stock of next week. In the meantime I've been looking into the specs of the 2070 super and now I'm questioning which one to get.

Is the performance of the 2080 super compared to the 2070 super worth the extra money?

Thanks

Depends on your needs. What resolution/frame rates are you aiming for? How long do you want it to last? I'm expecting there to be big competition at the higher end next year so I'm going for 5700XT with the view to upgrade to a decent 4K card later.

Associate
OP
I want decent frames in high demanding games like Hell Let Loose! I will be paring the card up with my original processor (i7 6700k. I will be upgrading my monitors to 144hz but I am undecided on 1080p or 2k.

Soldato
I want decent frames in high demanding games like Hell Let Loose! I will be paring the card up with my original processor (i7 6700k. I will be upgrading my monitors to 144hz but I am undecided on 1080p or 2k.

1080p is not bad gaming but i would get 2k if you have the option, there is definitely a visual difference between the two, but from 2k to 4k the visual difference was not as pronounced for me anyway. I appreciate this is a personal matter for most with many not noticing anything to noticing big changes.

Wait for AIB partner card 5700XT and then see how they compare to 2070s since both might be close to each other performance wise. If you can afford 2080s then by all means buy that but i don't see the point unless you are one of those that keep their card for long time. For me the performance difference of ~10% is not worth almost £160-£180.

Associate
OP
Are you aware Intel are joining the GPU party next year? It could bring a lot of competition and performance increases, fingers crossed.
I did hear a rumour about that! It could go either way, combining a Intel CPU with an Intel GPU could see massive performance increases. On the other hand their first releases could be a bit hit and miss! We won't know for sure until they test!

Caporegime

Thanks

From all i've read its the worst "super" upgrade of the lot when comparing it to the next tier, so in this case a 2080ti. Which is stupid money.....

I have a 2080 at 1440p 144hz and its decent but its not ludicrous. Although these days i tend to Gsync lock stuff to 60hz or a bit higher if option and just forget about it.

Whats the price difference..... a 2070sup will probably be good enough but a 2080sup will be "better", all you gotta ask yourself is... is the 100 quid really that big a deal at the end of the day?
100-150 quid is a month of being careful on beer or coffee, or whatever your poison is... 1 month. nothing... Buy big!

Associate
OP
From all i've read its the worst "super" upgrade of the lot when comparing it to the next tier, so in this case a 2080ti. Which is stupid money.....

I have a 2080 at 1440p 144hz and its decent but its not ludicrous. Although these days i tend to Gsync lock stuff to 60hz or a bit higher if option and just forget about it.

Whats the price difference..... a 2070sup will probably be good enough but a 2080sup will be "better", all you gotta ask yourself is... is the 100 quid really that big a deal at the end of the day?
100-150 quid is a month of being careful on beer or coffee, or whatever your poison is... 1 month. nothing... Buy big!

I've got to agree with you! No point in messing around! If I change my GPU every 2-3 years the 2080 super would be the better option! Like you say....lay off the beer for a month and it's covered!!

Caporegime
Everytime i upgrade my pc i cut a corner off on something...
I did it again this time i got a 9700k instead of a 9900k now 2 months later im sitting here with disposable income thinking "why didn't i just get the 9900k....?" I wouldn't even notice the difference but it annoys me :p

Soldato
The 2070 super seems a better option than 5700xt since not only had it got good perf but can also do ray tracing

If you are buying any of the RTX cards for ray tracing then you will be highly disappointed, the 2080ti struggles with RTX at playable frame rates let alone 2070s.

if you can afford 2080s and keeping your card for 3 years and playing at 2k resolution then its a great card to have.

Associate
The 2080 super has the weakest upgrade over the non-super version out of the 2060/2070/2080 however you're still seeing that ~10% upgrade over the 2070 super so it's definitely more powerful, and with OC you can push it even further. You're paying ~£200 premium over the 2070 super but that extra performance will probably help it last those 2-3 years before you upgrade

I'm personally getting a 2070 super with the full intention of upgrading to the equivalent of the 2080ti next gen hence I'm skimping a bit and going for the mid range model

Soldato
The 2070 super seems a better option than 5700xt since not only had it got good perf but can also do ray tracing

I wouldn't buy RTX cards for the ray tracing. Nice to play around with but as the main argument for buying Nvidia over AMD is more FPS it isn't logical to me. I think once ray tracing matures, by that I mean real platform agnostic ray tracing, I think it will be fantastic. I do think it will be another 2-3 generations before we have the power to run it at what would be considered decent frame rates on none RT hardware i.e. 100+ FPS

Permabanned
Look at the stock on the 2070 super though... Palit? No thanks after the RTX failure rates! Everything else is on pre order and well that is the cut down 2080 die. Boy the 2080 is gonna be rare i tell ya.

Soldato
Look at the stock on the 2070 super though... Palit? No thanks after the RTX failure rates! Everything else is on pre order and well that is the cut down 2080 die. Boy the 2080 is gonna be rare i tell ya.
Why you singling out palit for the rtx failures? It's everyone, even nVidia direct cards :p

Permabanned
Yes, Inno3d and MSi are in stock, there's no mass palit avoidance O_o

You put those words in my mouth im trying to say decent cards are not in stock all the people you named are garbage inc the chancers MSI, Inno are budget also they are all offering budget cards with a crazy vulverable 2yr warranty.

Back
Top Bottom