• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2080 vs 2080 super? Or wait for Ampere... Go!

Soldato
If you need the power now and don’t plan to upgrade for a while then go for one, EVGA have transferable warranty if you plan to buy a used card.

I’d be tempted as always to say wait for next gen but there is no knowing the performance and the cost, not to mention release date.

Turing is getting on now and the next gen will not be too far away if you want to hold out.

Associate
OP
If you need the power now and don’t plan to upgrade for a while then go for one, EVGA have transferable warranty if you plan to buy a used card.

I’d be tempted as always to say wait for next gen but there is no knowing the performance and the cost, not to mention release date.

Turing is getting on now and the next gen will not be too far away if you want to hold out.
Yeah I read about their warranty, but they only do a transferable warranty if you can get the original proof of purchase from the first buyer as of march2018 IIRC... Imagine trying to get that sorted in China, when you don't speak Chinese :D And no... Google translate cannot be used... Just no... I can't even ask a seller is the gpu he's selling is a super or not (price indicates its not a super but pictures show the super).

This is what a basic conversation goes like with google/microsoft translate:

me - "Hello. Is this a super or non super?"
guy - "Like me super for"
me - "4699yuan = 2080 super?"
guy - "nothing baby super with ti"
me - "not super. Correct?"
guy "like you what I say"
me "Please can you answer yes/no. Can't read Chinese."
guy "yes what said."
**give up immediately**

Associate
OP
People touting that watercooling less useful on Turing. Der8eaur sp* alluded to this in a video.

The 2080Ti however most people agree does well.on water.

Tbh I've done only gaming in testing guise, I've got my system replumbed and benchmarked only.

Generally I find operation smooth with less or no throttling, the PC is whisper quiet and I extract everything the card can do.

In synthetic benchies I got 27% higher than a 1080Ti, these aren't weak cards but you pay the premium.

A 2080 esp an EVGA card at that price is a good deal, good as any for the power. Sell your current card and live in the moment.

Or you'll be waiting for photonic quantum computing comes along!

Yeah seems like a good deal compared to uk prices for sure. Might even buy the card, bring back to the uk in January (coming back for Chinese new year) sell for £100 profit :D
Least I'll have a chance to play around with it. Yeah... Screw it... Evga 2080 XC on water it is. Spending far too much time on this new rig.. Im one of these people who can't even decide on which HDMI 2.1 cable to buy (Thanks for that Poneros! :D).

Soldato
Yeah seems like a good deal compared to uk prices for sure. Might even buy the card, bring back to the uk in January (coming back for Chinese new year) sell for £100 profit :D
Least I'll have a chance to play around with it. Yeah... Screw it... Evga 2080 XC on water it is. Spending far too much time on this new rig.. Im one of these people who can't even decide on which HDMI 2.1 cable to buy (Thanks for that Poneros! :D).

In all fairness may as well go for a 2070 super which performs practically identical to the 2080 and you can have a new card in the process.

Associate
OP
Nah, more identical to the 1080ti. 2080 is about 8-10% faster... I've looked into it a lot :D

The 2080 Evga I mentioned at £480 is brand new :D

Best deal I've found on a 2070ti is 3900rmb: the cheapy looking MSI Ventus (so no AIO if I want a warranty) which is only 50 quid less. I've figured every 10% jump here (over a 1080) costs about 1000 rmb / £110... So not worth it even it was an Evga.
-I could pay another £110 for the super (10% faster) then another £220 for (extra 30%) from a 2080ti. Done the maths, not really diminishing returns here. Never thought I'd even look at a 2080ti but did the maths anyway :D

Soldato
Btw EVGA confirmed with me the power limits are identical on the black gaming 2080S and the XC.

I just went XC in the end in case it had a higher limit or TDP and for resale as it's RGB.

I too spent hours researching then a friend asked me how much of your time have you 'spent' in that research.

I.e take your current job hrly rate and work it out. When it becomes disproportionate you may as well just buy the thing!

I too felt that though the 2070super IS a great card for the money I'd just want the 2080S and at 3440*1440 I wouldn't want any less power tbh.

Soldato
Tell a lie my 2080S not happy as artefacting in SOTTR benchmark at 2055mhz core but next increment down 2040Mhz appears ok

Soldato
Btw EVGA confirmed with me the power limits are identical on the black gaming 2080S and the XC.

I just went XC in the end in case it had a higher limit or TDP and for resale as it's RGB.

I too spent hours researching then a friend asked me how much of your time have you 'spent' in that research.

I.e take your current job hrly rate and work it out. When it becomes disproportionate you may as well just buy the thing!

I too felt that though the 2070super IS a great card for the money I'd just want the 2080S and at 3440*1440 I wouldn't want any less power tbh.

unless you were turning down contract work to do your research, you haven’t spent any money at all.

Associate
I got a 2080s, but only because I got one for £550 on Black Friday. After I've sold my 1070ti the costs to change wont be that much, and come the next round of cards the 2080s should be worth something, unlike the 1070ti which would then be worth tuppence ha'penny. If it wasn't for that deal I'd have got a 2070s.

Man maths again :D

Soldato
i also got a 2080s but went for the asus because i do like them and have been reliable for me , sold my gtx1080 for £250, got £250 xmas present from my lovely mum and paid £250 myself. So not bad cost wise and can play everything at ultra now at 2560x1440 even with rtx on that games that have it!

Back
Top Bottom