£250 - CPU - Case - Mobo!

Soldato
To be honest the really technical stuff goes over my head lol. I can build a PC but don't really know much about the indepth stuff.

Should I just stick with the other mobo you linked?

The more expensive Gigabyte motherboard seems a nicer one TBH.

I had a quick gander at the CPU support list:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3107&ver=#anchor_os

I would just check with OcUK to see if the BIOS version is the latest one or not (saves any potential hassle).

Permabanned
OP
Permabanned
OP
I am getting excited now :D Will be getting these new pieces tomorrow. Hoping everything goes smooth!

I have never fitted an AMD CPU before, is it much different than fitting a C2D?

Permabanned
OP
Hi again guys.

I purchased the hardware today and now they're all together and working!

As I'd never installed an AMD before, I did something stupid.

I looked at the motherboard CPU slot and noticed there was a white thing over the CPU. This white thing had a lot of holes for pins in. I later realised that AMD's had pins etc etc.

So I was gently pulling that white thing up as I thought it was a CPU protector like most LGA775 boards have. I eventually pulled it up a little bit and the locking bar pulled out too!

I then realised what happened. My heart was in my mouth, I thought I fubared the mobo up!

Anyway, it clipped back down, the locking bar went back in and the CPU installed fine.

My cable management skills are very very poor though, my PC looks like a jungle at the moment! When I have a bit more patience I'll have to rebuild and get the cables nice and sweet.

So yeah, just waiting for my 4850 to arrive now. I doubt I'll see much difference with my 3870 but oh well.

I hope I haven't done any extensive damage by being a fool with the CPU slot, everything seems to be running fine anyway.

Should I be worried? Kinda paranoid as the board cost me £90 hehe.

Cheers!

Associate
So I was gently pulling that white thing up as I thought it was a CPU protector like most LGA775 boards have. I eventually pulled it up a little bit and the locking bar pulled out too!

I then realised what happened. My heart was in my mouth, I thought I fubared the mobo up!

It's funny how most of us (if not all of us) end up doing something along these lines lol. The amount of parts my friend used to screw up all because he rushed and did'nt stop to think hehe.

Associate
Hi again guys.

they provide instructions for a reason :p

Back
Top Bottom