27" 1440p or 34" Ultrawide 1080p?

Associate
Hey folks so i currently have the system in the description although will soon be upgrading to a Ryzen 7 1700,Gigabyte AX370 K7 Motherboard,16gb Trident Z RGB Ram and a 500gb Samsung NVME for good measure :) Im hoping for the system to last the next sort of 5-7 years without upgrading

Im currently Rocking a Samsung Monitor which has the following specs 1680x1050 16:10 60hz and 5ms response time Im looking into either getting the iiyama GB2760QSU-B1 G-MASTER Red Eagle 1440p 144hz 1ms or the LG 34UC79G Ultrawide 1080p 144hz 1ms with the Discount code there both around the 390 pounds mark and was wondering which would be better for longevity/FPS/Simulation gaming i.e Destiny 2, COD WWII and Project cars 2?

I was looking at getting a Vega 56 or RX 580 depending on how the pricing is but the Middle of next Month.

Any help/Suggestions is greatly appreciated will be purchasing next Tuesday :)

Soldato
The GB2760QSU is a 27", 1440p, 144hz, TN panel
The 34UC79G is a 34", 1080p, 144hz, IPS ultra wide panel

The PPI in the LG is far lower so that would be a concern for desktop (and games too as AA may need to be applied)

The TN's are typically 6 bit, with poor viewing angles, and colour changes from left to right (and being a big screen may be noticeable) and have poorer colours, but it'll have even backlight.
The LG will be more accurate, and have better viewing angles, but may suffer from IPS backlight bleed.

Personally I'd try and get a 3440x1440p 100hz ultra wide.

Associate
I think you're going to get a lot of different answers.

Here's how I ended up with the LG 34UC79G, your priorities may be different:

I'd had a Samsung P2450h (24", 1080p, 60Hz) for several years and while there wasn't anything wrong with it, I wanted to try something different. I currently have a GTX 970 and, depending how the custom designs work out, I may get a Vega 56 in a few months. The last real top end Nvidia card I could afford was the GTX 580, so whatever monitor I went for wouldn't be powered by a 1080ti or a Vega 64. So whatever I went for, it had to be usable with a GTX 970 in the short term and a Vega 56/1070 class card in the longer term.

Incidentally, this is also why I didn't consider a G-Sync monitor.

A lot of what I'd read suggested than 27" 1440p was the natural successor to 24" 1080p. A friend of mine has a 27" Benq 1440p, 144Hz Freesync monitor running on a Ryzen build with a R9 290X and he let me spend an afternoon gaming on it. The monitor was very nice, extremely clear, but at 100% scaling I found the text a little small. I felt that I might need to use font scaling in Windows, which would reduce the benefit of the extra desktop space from the higher resolution. Your eyesight may be better than mine!

On to gaming. I had a go at Doom, and although the monitor was much nicer than what I was used to, once the action started the experience was actually very much the same as my 1080p Samsung. Don't get me wrong, it looked nicer, but the experience felt the same. Also, I had a framerate counter running and performance was quite a bit lower than I was used to. The 290X would be faster than my 970 at the same resolution, but on the 1440p monitor the 290X was having to push around about 78% more pixels. I also had a go at Planetary Annihilation: Titans and again, the higher resolution was nice, but it didn't make a massive difference to my enjoyment of the game.

I would have liked to have seen an ultrawide monitor in action before I bought one, but unfortunately that wasn't an option. That was one of two reasons why I didn't go for a 3440x1440 screen: They're very expensive to buy before you try, and secondly they have about 138% more pixels for my GTX 970 to push around. After the performance hit I observed on the 290X at 1440p, I realised I couldn't afford a powerful enough PC to get the performance I would want.

That left 2560x1080. The common wisdom is that really you want a 29" screen for this resolution, but with the current deal on the 34" LG I took a chance and I'm glad I did. I honestly couldn't be happier with it. 21:9, even at 1080p, is much better than 16:9 if you usually have two windows open side by side on the desktop. I was worried that text would be too pixelated but at the distance I sit from it I haven't found this. Again, I wear glasses so your eyesight may be better than mine and you may find this an issue.

I find gaming at 21:9 much better than at 16:9. I've got to admit when people have talked about it being a more immersive experience I hadn't really believed it, but it does make a big difference. The first thing I ran was Doom to get a fair comparison and the extra width really does change the experience. Plus the performance hit isn't anywhere near as bad as I'm only asking the GTX 970 to push 33% more pixels than before.

While I like a good FPS I'm more of a casual player and more of my time goes on RTS and MMO games. I've been back on the old Lord of the Rings Online lately and 21:9 gives a much better impression of being in a huge open world than 16:9 ever could.

Anyway, that's my experience, with a few caveats:

- If you've got great eyesight, try and find a 34" 1080p monitor to look at before you buy.
- If you can afford the graphics hardware to push it, not to mention the monitor itself, I'm sure 3440x1440 is worth it.

Associate
@lloydcars18

Whats the sitting distance away from screen?

I have a Asus MG279Q, so 27" 1440P, my sitting distance is ~1m, at times seems too large and have to move back a bit. A U2515H I had at 25" did not make me do that. A 34" for me would seem from this experience too big, at the sitting distance I use.

Probably subjective, but something to bare in mind, when deciding on monitor. I had prior to these monitors a 24" FG2421 and 22" Samsung at same as res as your current monitor.

Permabanned
@lloydcars18

Whats the sitting distance away from screen?

I have a Asus MG279Q, so 27" 1440P, my sitting distance is ~1m, at times seems too large and have to move back a bit. A U2515H I had at 25" did not make me do that. A 34" for me would seem from this experience too big, at the sitting distance I use.

Probably subjective, but something to bare in mind, when deciding on monitor. I had prior to these monitors a 24" FG2421 and 22" Samsung at same as res as your current monitor.

Very objective and fair point. Some people sit closer to their displays (less than 1m) and in these cases, even 24" is simply too much.

Associate
Yeah I jumped from 24" 1080P because it did seem a little loss in image quality at distance I used screen at.

25" at 1440P was spectacular. To me image quality was far above anything I had ever laid my eyes on. The high DPI made it like AA on image without a performance hit on GPU. Only snag was the U2515H was 60Hz, even 75Hz I would have kept it. Most games fine but first person shooters seemed to me not as fluid on 60Hz. I'd say the FG2421 had spoiled me.

If ever Dell bought out 25" IPS 1440P FreeSync 75Hz or +, I'd gladly swap out the Asus MG279Q for one.

Associate
OP
Hey Folks thanks for the Replies i sit around 1-1.5m away from the screen i dont use a Desk i have a gaming chair i sit on and my Monitor Sits on top of a TV Stand i just bought a Second stand as want to keep my monitor as a Second screen for YouTube/Twitch etc il upload some pictures in a minute.

Associate
To me looks more like 1.5m than 1m, I'd measure to ~center of chair. I'd think the 34" at even 1080P won't look bad for DPI at distance in photo, especially when engrossed in a game, rather than looking at static image.

Associate
yea just measured it its 1.5m
From your seating position I would recommend the LG for sure. It's an awesome gaming monitor.

People go on about the low ppi but it wasn't a problem unless you do a lot of desktop related tasks. The LG has amazing contrast, black level and color. I sat just under a meter from it and it was perfect.

I also have a Dell S2417DG which has high ppi, more than the 27 inch monitor and you have to sit much closer to it. So with that in mind, nothing wrong with the LG ultrawide.

Associate
Let me how you get on with yours Lloyd. My LG should be here at my work within the hour then its the long wait until I get home

Associate
Well Lloyd I got mine today, I must admit I really like it. No dead pixels which is a bonus!.

I was a little bit worried I would notice the resolution difference however small, from the 2 x 24" 1200p monitors I have but I am glad to report that first impressions are good. In fact I have a dell 2407wfp beside it and it looks absolutely hellish beside the LG.

Think I am going to play GTA:V from the beginning seeing as it works well with an Ultrawide.

Back
Top Bottom