27" 240hz g-sync recommendations

Soldato
Hey

Getting my boy a new monitor for his birthday. He's a hardcore fortnight gamer and all he keeps going on about is that my monitor is 1440 165hz and he has a 1080 60hz :D

So Im think he's ok with 1080p, but I want to get him a higher hz one. He has a 980ti at the moment but he'll have my 1080ti once I get a 3080 or whatever so ideally stick to g-sync.

Only worry is that he has 2 monitors now, both are 60hz. Is it ok if the second one is still 60hz? Will that cause and issues?

Budget about £250 very max £300

Thanks

Permabanned
What about stretching and getting him the VG279QM? The panels are finally acceptable the colors and motion and blur are all now where TN was. So going cheaper TN drastically will alter the viewing angles.

Permabanned
Ended up getting this. Asus are doing a cash back thing. So I'll get £25 back too.

Lucky little fella has a great daddy! :D

I suggest following tftcentrals calibration for a good default setup that you may want to tweak. If you check the link below you see they use Racing mode with brightness 10, Contrast 80 and custom color mode RGB 98,99,96.

Motions superb at 280hz if he had 60hz before he jusy gained 220hz thats some upgrade. Hopefully all works out.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg279qm.htm#comparison

Soldato
OP
Lucky little fella has a great daddy! :D

I suggest following tftcentrals calibration for a good default setup that you may want to tweak. If you check the link below you see they use Racing mode with brightness 10, Contrast 80 and custom color mode RGB 98,99,96.

Motions superb at 280hz if he had 60hz before he jusy gained 220hz thats some upgrade. Hopefully all works out.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_tuf_gaming_vg279qm.htm#comparison

Sometimes you have to spoil them. :D I e got one at 11 and one at 2 so he can be spoilt for a little longer

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm a little lost with monitors. I can't even see faster than 80-100hz so seems pointless to me. I have mine capped at 120 just because it makes me feel happy at that point

Permabanned
Sometimes you have to spoil them. :D I e got one at 11 and one at 2 so he can be spoilt for a little longer

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm a little lost with monitors. I can't even see faster than 80-100hz so seems pointless to me. I have mine capped at 120 just because it makes me feel happy at that point

I grew up on a CRT and nearly cried when it broke and had to use 60hz for years. He should notice its getting CRT like now as far as LCD is concered.

I have a post also where i discuss the little brother 24 inch and why in the menu its important not to use ELMB SYNC and set to off but set adaptive sync on which is the Freesync/gsync compatible option. And the Overdrive should be set to 60 this is quite important stuff so its worth doing it before he goes mad on it.

With all the settings in here it should look impressive even to you, You should maybe notice animations and blur being better a lot less blurry than 120hz. :)

Soldato
OP
I grew up on a CRT and nearly cried when it broke and had to use 60hz for years. He should notice its getting CRT like now as far as LCD is concered.

I have a post also where i discuss the little brother 24 inch and why in the menu its important not to use ELMB SYNC and set to off but set adaptive sync on which is the Freesync/gsync compatible option. And the Overdrive should be set to 60 this is quite important stuff so its worth doing it before he goes mad on it.

With all the settings in here it should look impressive even to you, You should maybe notice animations and blur being better a lot less blurry than 120hz. :)

Thanks for that. I don't usually mess with the settings on monitors. But I'll give it a go.

Them were the days of CRT monitors. Used to be a nightmare getting mine into a taxi to take it round to my mates for a LAN party :D

Permabanned
Thanks for that. I don't usually mess with the settings on monitors. But I'll give it a go.

Them were the days of CRT monitors. Used to be a nightmare getting mine into a taxi to take it round to my mates for a LAN party :D

It doesnt look pretty without tweaks, Infact the ELMB SYNC thing looks downright awful and will actually give headaches and eye issues. Its good for eye health thats why i reccomend doing it for him so he can avoid glasses at an early age.

Cant argue about the CRT weight either, should have seen my desk after it was gone, It was totally warped in the middle. :D

Soldato
OP
Hey @Rofflay it's my son's birthday tomorrow, but I'm worried this isn't the monitor he wants.

He keeps going on about the resolution of mine now (1440p 27") so I could take this monitor back and get him a 1440p 145/165hz monitor.

So for about the same price of £370 what would you recommend?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Hey @Rofflay it's my son's birthday tomorrow, but I'm worried this isn't the monitor he wants.

He keeps going on about the resolution of mine now (1440p 27") so I could take this monitor back and get him a 1440p 145/165hz monitor.

So for about the same price of £370 what would you recommend?

You want the Dell S2721DGF. Use code DAILYMAIL8 to bring it down to £359. 27” 1440p 165hz IPS. Done.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
That does look nice. Only problem is, I got the first monitor from a local shop and they don't stock that dell monitor so the boy would have to wait a few days. Hmmmmm

Print him a photo of the order confirmation and stick it in his birthday card :D

honestly you won’t beat this monitor at this price point.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah I could show him the order of he does want to change it.

Gigabyte 27" G27Q what about these monitors ?

similar spec but you loose Dell build quality, Dells 3 year solid warranty and by all accounts the Dell reviewed really well. I’m not sure how well the G27Q is calibrated from factory.

Back
Top Bottom