2700X Upgrade, Mboard and RAM suggestions...boot from M.2 drive?

Soldato
Hello All,

I'm about to upgrade and am thinking of the following:

2700x
ASUS PRIME AMD Ryzen X470-PRO
16GB of which RAM?

From what I read the motherboard is the best for it's budget (~£160). However, I'm not sure what RAM to pair it with, suggestions appreciated.

I'd also like a M.2 Drive, I assume the x470 board will allow you to boot from this?

I've got a Corsair 100i hydro cooler, I'm thinking of using this instead of the stock cooler...is that a good idea (just need a bracket for it, and some Thermal compound advice - not applied this for years and always panic about how to apply...I guess YouTube will help out).
Any tips welcome

Soldato
any reason for upgrading over your 3770k? in games intel would be faster .... might want to wait till october to see how 9700/9900k fairs as well as its pricing

as always, if you've got the cash @8 Pack ram due to it being Samsung B-die based and more chance of working from the get go, if you fancy playing around use Ryzen Ram Calculator afterwards to dial it tighter

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £227.69 (includes shipping: £8.70)​

Soldato
"some" games perhaps.

most games, im either for intel and amd - like the competition. Adobe really need to work out some coding- would massively help intel compete there. also most games which factor in last decade of gaming which people still play games that old are mostly single core design or recently 4 cores, but slowly getting there.

guessing better question is , OP what resolution are you gaming on? higher res, the more ryzen takes the fight back combined with pricing is powerful combo

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies so far, I'm upgrading my second PC (AMD 8320) as I'm using it to build a cheap PC for a friends kid (for homework). I'm still pretty happy with the 3770k, but the 8320 is showing its age, seems a good opportunity to upgrade. I'll not upgrade again again for a long time and decided to go with the extra cores of the 2700X.

It's be paired with me 1080GTX and used mainly for VR gaming, plus light video editing.

Back
Top Bottom