1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

285mm fitted but binding?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by AmDaMan, 17 May 2006.

1. AmDaMan

Mobster

Hey all, fitted the brakes to 1side today but up on testing it seemed to be binding? The calipers went to the garage to all be freed up etc, but it looks like the pads are constantly touching, is there anything I should check? Thanks.

2. Simon

Capodecina

They should touch constantly (well look like it)

When they first are fitted in they may appear worse, the pads are not flat to the disk and there is only a certain amount of pad knock back by the master cylinder.

When the pads are bedded in and flat, this pad flex will be eliminated allowing the pads to come fully off the disk.

In other words: Don't worry about it till they are bedded in

3. AmDaMan

Mobster

Phew, Glad about that, I never remember that when I changed my old pads though, then again the disks wern't new.

They were smoking though by the time I got home and I sounded like I could hear grinding, is that the pad and disk?

I'm fitting the other tomorrow, absolute nightmare getting the disk off and the brake hose.

Oh those brackets were a work of art :p

4. Simon

Capodecina

You only fitted one side and then drove it ? :eek: Hope it wasnt far:)

Yeah Neal had a set of them too, he was happy with them too. Steve is a damn good machinist

5. AmDaMan

Mobster

Yeah, only drove it up the road and it was smoking by the time I got back.. Had to give it some just for it to move, and sounded like it was grinding more on some sharper turns.

I'm unfamiliar with this new type of sliding caliper. It all went together fine but should the slide be pulled out or something when it goes back together to give the pads room?

The sliding mechanism moves ok (requires a bit of force) but the garge greased all the sliders and pistons up so it should be alright?

6. Simon

Capodecina

You sure nothing is rubbing on the disk other than pads?

7. AmDaMan

Mobster

I don't think so, we are gona double check it tomorrow. One thing I thought was strange though, you know the area where the pads touch the disk? Well it looks like it's touching the outside of the disk too? Is it meant to go that far out?

8. Simon

Capodecina

Outside? Like the edge rather than face.

Its should cover the whole disk apart from maybe 1 or 2mm, this is the unswept bit you get to allow you to see how the disk wears.

Pics are worth a 1000 words ;)

9. AmDaMan

Mobster

Yeah i'll take a few tomorrow don't forget to check back, no one else knows what's going on :p

The caliper it's self sits flushly against the disk (about 1-2mm clearance) so don't understand how the pads would do that.

10. Fulcrum

Hitman

I was going to mention the guide pins/sliders but if you've checked that then maybe its because your old pads were so knackered :p What was the condition of them, the disk may have rusted up through the pad not making full contact which it now is hence all that grinding

Just keep checking it reguarly I think, if Iam unsure about anything I check how easily it locks up on some wasteground - just in case you have to do an emergency stop for real sometime.

Replacing front or back pads can then highlight problems with the other set so check every wheel, you shouldn't change just one wheel thats bad practise but not necessarily lethal just be carefull :)

11. Lowe

Soldato

Out of interest which calipers did you go with in the end? :)

12. Simon

Capodecina

21 T calipers

13. AmDaMan

Mobster

Fulcrum - The disks and pads are brand new.

I'm going to get started later, i'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

14. AmDaMan

Mobster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obvious problem :eek: Why would the caliper not clear the disc!!! :eek:

15. Simon

Capodecina

What disks are they?

16. AmDaMan

Mobster

They are 21 TXi discs, i thought they were 21mm? they say 19mm on though?

17. ci_newman

Sgarrista

:eek: Ouch! That looks pretty messy! I'd remove that disc and check it for signs of cracking if you drove it any distance (cant hurt to check).

As for why the calipers are sitting funny :confused: I dont know alot about the setup and new stuff but can the caliper be remounted or moved if the mounting botls are loosened?

18. Fulcrum

Hitman

So what setup is this and what car.

19. Alibaba99

Wise Guy

Are there any shims with the kit to allow you to centre the caliper over the disk.

20. AmDaMan

Mobster

LOOK HOW GOOD IT LOOKS !!!!

[​IMG]

Just joking, here is the one side I've just done, a simple washer to space the custom bracket to the hub was all that was needed. It's all good now :) My only concern no is I have run out of bolts for the other side and no one seems to have them! M12x 1.25mm. I'll search about tomorrow again. Also one of the slider pin rubbers looks abit worse for wear, is there anyone that sells universal ones? I don't want crap to get in it. Also no comments about the state of my car I know, i know!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]