1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28yrs+ people - Give us some general advice in life...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Paramount, 10 May 2010.

1. Paramount

Wise Guy

Post your life's mistakes, lessons learnt, and life tips so we can learn from them. I'm not quite post 28 yet but I've recently taken these ones on board:

Study while you're young, although it's not impossible to go back to school when you're older, it's considerably harder.

Don't get married before 30, enjoy your twenties while you can.

Spend more time with your parents and get off the PC. As you age so do they, and it won't be long until they're not around. As with your friends, you might take them for granted but if they ditch you you'll get lonely very quickly.

Your turn...

2. FoxEye

Caporegime

30 here. Clearly haven't learned nearly enough yet, because my life is still a bit of a train wreck :p

3. Jimmyboyo

Wise Guy

29, same.

4. paradigm

Caporegime

Only 27, but I'll echo the comment about spending more time with your parents before it's too late. Having lost my father last year I know that all too well :(

5. [email protected]

Caporegime

Some areas of my life are totally sorted, one or two are much lacking. Doesn't bother me much of the time though, only now and again.

6. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Mum & Dad know best

7. r2d2

Hitman

I will try and give some advice to you here mate
    Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for thirteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn. One guy lives in Sutton Place. You got a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? I envy you, your youth. Go on, get laid, get drunk. Do anything. You got no choice, anyway. I mean, we're all f****d. More or less, ya know.

Hope this helps mate.

8. goldilocks

Wise Guy

Not a fan of your advice, sorry.
    I'm just 24, been married 18 months and everythings awesome here.
    My brother (who is 20) needs to grow up and move out and let my parents enjoy their life without having a 'child' to consider!
    As for study - why spend £££s on a pointless degree chosen on a whim at 17yrs of age - when you could beneft from the financial support of a job / life experience before you hang the university millstone around your neck!!

9. LordSplodge

Capodecina

35 here.

Don't **** where you eat.
    If you live in somebody else's house it is their rules.
    Stop whining it makes you sound like a kid.
    Don't like something? Do some thing about it (see above)
    Spend as much time with those you love as possible.

...and finally.

Don't set your standards too high. A shag is a shag, after all.

Last edited: 10 May 2010
  10. Troezar

Mobster

Grow things, plants, veg anything. One of the ingredients of a happy life. I guess it helps fill the need to produce something, watch it grow and nurture. Plus it makes your environment much nicer to live in :)

11. twist3d0n3

Capodecina

baffling.

i'm just about to finish uni, and it's been the best years of my life. met some great people, and had lots of fun, AND gathered a lot of life experience.

no doubt i'll find it difficult to get back into the real world (yes, i have held down a few jobs before uni), but i'm glad i have this part of my life to look back fondly on

12. goldilocks

Wise Guy

I have a degree and went to uni at 18 - what I am saying is, I wonder what percentage of graduates a.) had no real life plan when they chose their subject and b.) have not benefitted in career terms from getting a degree
    edit: and of course they have been the best years of your life if its all youve had chance to do since leaving school!!

in the 3 (or so) years and with the £20k cost you could have earned £40k, travelled, bolstered your cv, then chosen a degree / career and be in a far better position at an equivalent age!
    As the OP suggests - I don't think study while you're young is always the answer (post school, ofc)

13. Skeptic

Mobster

Don't smoke drugs. I know it seems like fun, probably more so at uni, but it can lead to tragedy - and I don't mean leading to other drugs type tragedy.

14. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

Pro life tips :

1. Don't put your penis in someone that you shouldn't. Like, for instance, your best mate's girlfriend or that loon you met on the internet. Seriously.
    2. Try to have savings in reserve. Life can throw you some shocks sometimes and having backup is always useful.
    3. Your friends will only be there for you if you're there for them. Friends matter.
    4. Enjoy your time with your parents. Parents matter.
    5. Try and find a job that you can not only tolerate but actively enjoy. This isn't easy but will make a massive difference to your life in general.
    6. If you don't like something then do something about it. Moaning won't change anything plus others will think you're an asshat.
    7. Aim high but accept that sometimes the lowest rung is all you're going to get.
    8. Live your life. Don't be a spectator.

15. fidget

Hitman

Here's mine. I'm 35 and definately have a degree in the University of Life (although still studying!)

1) Never think you are too old to achieve something. No matter how small, you can do it.

2) Never start smoking. Don't even consider it. If you do, you will regret it - not immediately, but you will. If you quit, realise "only one won't hurt" will. (I started smoking at 18 and smoked 40 a day until last year - (read this entry in my blog if you are interested or are thinking of quitting.)

3) Never live beyond your means. Do not borrow what you can't afford to pay for. Never lend more than you can afford to lose. And remember - "if you lend a friend £20 and you never see the friend again, it's probably been worth it."

4) The grass is almost never greener on the other side. Reward trust with trust, faithfulness with faithfulness.

16. ElliorR

Sgarrista

Life really does seem to go quicker the older you get. I used to think my parents were full of **** when they said that but it turned out to be oh so true.

Wurthers Originals are for Pedo's.

Don't try and compete with youngsters in online FPS games. The older you get the slower your reaction times and you get owned every time.

There is/was no such thing as "The Good Old Days™"

Death is just part of the process.

17. Paramount

Wise Guy

Young doesn't necessarily mean 18. I'm in my first year at uni and I'm 23. I had 5 years of real work, realised I wanted to learn more, and picked a smart subject that isn't going to be a waste of time and will aid me in my career and in life. A degree is yours for life, I'm sure you'll forget about 3 years worth of work after 5.

Secondly, and without making this sound personal, the odds are on your marriage failing.

18. Foxxy

Gangster

Hmm...

Advise... well im 22
    I’ve learnt to persevere. I.e. my computer science degree, I HATED it, but I got an awesome graduate sales job from it. Which I adore! Spose I saw the bigger picture.

Be frugal with money

Don’t let people change you

Do what makes you happy, not others, even if it means loosing a bf/gf or friends.

19. [FnG]magnolia

Pancake

This is very true and thinking otherwise can open up a whole host of problems.

20. Xordium

Capodecina

Be there for the birth of your children.
    Be there when they take their first steps.
    Be there when they first say daddy.
    etc

If you have to work hard now so you can cut down on the hours and work when they are little (and still want to speak to you) then its the best investment you could well make. Those are the kind of things you just can't afford to miss.