28yrs+ people - Give us some general advice in life...

Soldato
Not a fan of your advice, sorry.
I'm just 24, been married 18 months and everythings awesome here.
My brother (who is 20) needs to grow up and move out and let my parents enjoy their life without having a 'child' to consider!
As for study - why spend £££s on a pointless degree chosen on a whim at 17yrs of age - when you could beneft from the financial support of a job / life experience before you hang the university millstone around your neck!!

Maybe if you were 34 and had been married over ten years I might believe you had a point. But you're not and I don't.

I've seen too many of my mates who got married in their early twenties on the wrong end of a divorce recently.

1. Don't grow up too fast.
  2. Enjoy your twenties and have some fun.
  3. Parents and siblings matter. Spend some quality time with them.
  4. Travel and see other cultures.
  5. You're never too old to do anything. I'm still about 12 inside!
  6. If you hate uni after a couple of years - persevere and stick it out for the extra year.

Associate
Maybe if you were 34 and had been married over ten years I might believe you had a point. But you're not and I don't.

I've seen too many of my mates who got married in their early twenties on the wrong end of a divorce recently.

1. Don't grow up too fast.
  2. Enjoy your twenties and have some fun.
  3. Parents and siblings matter. Spend some quality time with them.
  4. Travel and see other cultures.
  5. You're never too old to do anything. I'm still about 12 inside!
Yes this ^^ too.

Soldato
I'm glad I ventured into this thread, I'm 19 and frankly I'm worried about my future - there are lots of things that aren't going right in my life at the moment and I really do feel like I'm wasting my younger years!

To be honest, I'm doing a degree which I hate - I have a year left after this one, and I'm going through friendships at the moment and really struggling to meet more people like me that share my interests - thus I don't really get out and do stuff :( I'm also desperate to get myself into a proper relationship but absolutely nothing is happening!

I work part time in a garden centre which I really love, I enjoy working with the plants and I get along great with everyone there - which makes me want to take up horticulture when I finish uni purely to meet more likeminded people and form some proper friendships.

Associate
Hmm...

Advise... well im 22
I’ve learnt to persevere. I.e. my computer science degree, I HATED it, but I got an awesome graduate sales job from it. Which I adore! Spose I saw the bigger picture.

Be frugal with money

Don’t let people change you

Do what makes you happy, not others, even if it means loosing a bf/gf or friends.

I would have thought similar to you when I was your age.

Remember, quite often making yourself happy is a result of seeing a friend/partner happy.

It can't all be take take. If you do, you will end up a very lonely person - so sometimes you DO need to do what makes others happy, at your own sacrifice.

And people changing you (subtly) can be a good thing (Mrs Fidget would agree). You should learn by your mistakes and change for the better as a result.

Associate
I'm glad I ventured into this thread, I'm 19 and frankly I'm worried about my future - there are lots of things that aren't going right in my life at the moment and I really do feel like I'm wasting my younger years!

To be honest, I'm doing a degree which I hate - I have a year left after this one, and I'm going through friendships at the moment and really struggling to meet more people like me that share my interests - thus I don't really get out and do stuff :( I'm also desperate to get myself into a proper relationship but absolutely nothing is happening!

I work part time in a garden centre which I really love, I enjoy working with the plants and I get along great with everyone there - which makes me want to take up horticulture when I finish uni purely to meet more likeminded people and form some proper friendships.

Don't worry. I'm sure pretty much most of us have felt like that at some point. Trust me - at some point in the not too distant future, things will fit into place.

As for a relationship - again, it will happen. Don't try too hard (gawd, it was frustrating whe people said that to me!). Have fun now, then settle down in a few years time. You will know when you are ready :)

As for the Garden Centre job. You love doing it? That's great. I don't know what you are studdying at uni, but speak to your boss about how you feel. Pleanty of people leaving Uni are unemployed. You already have a foot in the door. Even if it's totally different to your uni course, tell your boss how you love your job and are considering making a career from it. See what opportunities arise.

Good luck :)

Associate
Don't marry someone thinking you can change them - you can't

You'll regret passing up opportunities you didn't take up far more than those you did.

Stay close to your parents - when you've no-one else to turn to they'll still be there for you.

Forty five years old and still feel about half that age inside - shame the exterior is showing so many signs of wear and tear.....

Gog

Gog

Associate
Alfie said:
You know what? When I look back on my little life and the birds I've known, and think of all the things they've done for me and the little I've done for them, you'd think I've had the best of it along the line. But what have I got out of it? I've got a bob or two, some decent clothes, a car, I've got me health back and I ain't attached. But I ain't got me peace of mind - and if you ain't got that, you ain't got nothing. I dunno. It seems to me if they ain't got you one way they've got you another. So what's the answer? That's what I keep asking myself - what's it all about? Know what I mean?

Sums it up really.

Soldato
As for the Garden Centre job. You love doing it? That's great. I don't know what you are studdying at uni, but speak to your boss about how you feel. Pleanty of people leaving Uni are unemployed. You already have a foot in the door. Even if it's totally different to your uni course, tell your boss how you love your job and are considering making a career from it. See what opportunities arise.

Works for me.

I got disheartened with the course at Uni. I was working part time and decided to take a year out in the middle of the course and went full time for the year then went back to as the americans would say "get closure".

Gave me a completely different perspective and the kick up the ass I needed. The job wasn't great (can't mention them here) but I learned a lot of life skills and worked with a great bunch of people.

Soldato
Don't worry. I'm sure pretty much most of us have felt like that at some point. Trust me - at some point in the not too distant future, things will fit into place.

As for a relationship - again, it will happen. Don't try too hard (gawd, it was frustrating whe people said that to me!). Have fun now, then settle down in a few years time. You will know when you are ready :)

Good luck :)

Thanks for the advice mate - I'm currently studying computer and network technology and I'm totally sick of it, always been interested in plants and horticulture and I've met so many likeminded people at work - a lot of free spirits that kind of thing. The main thing for me is just getting myself into the right social group but I just cant seem to do it!

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the advice mate - I'm currently studying computer and network technology and I'm totally sick of it, always been interested in plants and horticulture and I've met so many likeminded people at work, a lot of free spirits that kind of thing.

Well, sometimes people think a hobby such as IT is what they should do for a living - in some cases it can "spoil" the fun the hobby brings, in others it can be a dream job.

Just remember, if you have a go at one thing now and it does not work out, you can always change career. You have loads of time :)

Soldato
I will try and give some advice to you here mate
Look at it this way. A man takes a job, you know? And that job - I mean, like that - That becomes what he is. You know, like - You do a thing and that's what you are. Like I've been a cabbie for thirteen years. Ten years at night. I still don't own my own cab. You know why? Because I don't want to. That must be what I want. To be on the night shift drivin' somebody else's cab. You understand? I mean, you become - You get a job, you become the job. One guy lives in Brooklyn. One guy lives in Sutton Place. You got a lawyer. Another guy's a doctor. Another guy dies. Another guy gets well. People are born, y'know? I envy you, your youth. Go on, get laid, get drunk. Do anything. You got no choice, anyway. I mean, we're all *****d. More or less, ya know.

Hope this helps mate.

Was I supposed to understand a single word of that?

Caporegime
Go for cooking skills over looks. When the looks fade and you don't want to shag them anymore you will still appreciate a decent meal.

I wish I'd listened to my old man.

Back
Top Bottom