28yrs+ people - Give us some general advice in life...

Soldato
I have a degree and went to uni at 18 - what I am saying is, I wonder what percentage of graduates a.) had no real life plan when they chose their subject and b.) have not benefitted in career terms from getting a degree
edit: and of course they have been the best years of your life if its all youve had chance to do since leaving school!!

in the 3 (or so) years and with the £20k cost you could have earned £40k, travelled, bolstered your cv, then chosen a degree / career and be in a far better position at an equivalent age!
As the OP suggests - I don't think study while you're young is always the answer (post school, ofc)

as i said in my original post, i worked for a good 4/5 years before i went to uni. the jobs i was doing before uni just weren't what i expected life to really be, so i made a choice to go to uni and study something that i've carefully thought about.

at the end of the day, life isn't all about earning lots of money; you can be a millionaire and still look back at how worthless and lonely your life has been, it's about meeting people, having fun and enjoying what the world has to offer

Soldato
Not a fan of your advice, sorry.
I'm just 24, been married 18 months and everythings awesome here.
My brother (who is 20) needs to grow up and move out and let my parents enjoy their life without having a 'child' to consider!
As for study - why spend £££s on a pointless degree chosen on a whim at 17yrs of age - when you could beneft from the financial support of a job / life experience before you hang the university millstone around your neck!!

Not a fan of your advice :D

Uni was one of the best times in my life. I learnt and experienced so much

Soldato
Don't smoke drugs. I know it seems like fun, probably more so at uni, but it can lead to tragedy - and I don't mean leading to other drugs type tragedy.

I'm 28 this year and echo something similar to the above, don't take soft drugs for granted because you'll lose yourself and you only have yourself to blame when your mind has gone to ****!

Last edited:
Soldato
Study while you're young, although it's not impossible to go back to school when you're older, it's considerably harder.

Don't get married before 30, enjoy your twenties while you can.

Spend more time with your parents and get off the PC. As you age so do they, and it won't be long until they're not around. As with your friends, you might take them for granted but if they ditch you you'll get lonely very quickly.

I am obviously far from 28 (im 22) but I disagree with your second idea, I'm engaged to the love of my life and know 3 other couples who are all my age (give or take a year or two older) and are currently married and love life, I think that one completely depends on the person rather than an "everyone in there 20s should enjoy life" thing

As for the 1st and 3rd I completely agree, I'm lucky enough to live only 200 metres down the road from my parents and have an awesome relationship with them, I dread anything bad ever happening to them, even though I know that one day it is inevitable :(

Here's one that usually rings pretty true: take a good hard look at your girlfriend's mum. She's going look and act just like her someday.

*looks over shoulder slyly*

w00t!

Soldato
Like the advice, as I'm one of the younger ones on here. 18 in a few days :D

If you had the choice of 3 years travelling vs 3 years education, what would you choose? I'd love to just get on a bike and tour the world, earning enough money to cover costs along the way, but I don't know :)

Soldato
Like the advice, as I'm one of the younger ones on here. 18 in a few days :D

If you had the choice of 3 years travelling vs 3 years education, what would you choose? I'd love to just get on a bike and tour the world, earning enough money to cover costs along the way, but I don't know :)

I think that's a question that only you can answer really, you should just choose what you feel would either benefit you more or you would eventually enjoy more

Personally I would pick the education choice, but that's because I don't really enjoy travelling and feel my work is my life whereas a holiday will eventually end, but there are a lot of others here who would tell you that you shouldn't pass up the chance to travel and see the world before you dive in to the hard graft that is full time working life.

My advice to you on that question would be: don't take any advice, make your own decision as ultimately you know what you want best :)

Soldato
I think it's a good idea to consider postponing kids until your late twenties/early thirties... but then I'm only twenty-two! (It's the big two-three in July :(:eek:!!)

From a personal perspective, I'd hate to be shackled by kids whilst in my twenties (not that I just see kids as shackles, obvs ;s). I'd prefer to wait until my thirties, when I've had a good dose of "freedom" and can put my kids first, without having that urge to go and do things I've missed out on, but being unable to do so because the kids have to come first. Merrr.

My first is due in 8 weeks :p I think it's a case of when it feels right, personally I can't wait, but then I think it's when it feels right for the individual (or rather the couple) involved, I've grown up quicker than most of my friends and find myself having taken over my sister whos 26, and some of my mates who range from 26-30 for how quickly I've jumped into "life", and I don't think i'd have it any other way, i love my job (even if i do hate the people i work with) i love my missus and i love my house :D

I don't think i could go back to living on my own / with my parents and drinking every friday and saturday night, only thing I worry about though is my health, I don't get nearly enough exercise, that's one thing i would recommend as a life lesson so far.. take care of yourself!

Last edited:
Associate
35 here.

Don't **** where you eat.
If you live in somebody else's house it is their rules.
Stop whining it makes you sound like a kid.
Don't like something? Do some thing about it (see above)
Spend as much time with those you love as possible.

...and finally.

Don't set your standards too high. A shag is a shag, after all.

this.

Almost all reading this forum are in control of their own destiny, if you moan about something it's your fault.

Do a degree based on a job you want to do, not vice versa, the number of people that can't get this right is astonishing.

Women are all bonkers, accept that fact and you can get married.

Soldato
Only 27 but, some of my favourite bits of advice which I like (try) to live by:

Dont worry, it never solves anything.

Dont let anyone put you down, believe in yourself, pursue any goal.

Dont compare your life/situation to others, because you will always find someone who is better off.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wear sunscreen!

Also don't smoke and try to avoid binge drinking... (actually you'll not avoid it at uni and will prob have to odd session with work mates - I still do tbh...). Do exercise regularly.

Went on a stag do recently and met some people I'd not seen for 10 years - was scary how much some had aged, grown beer bellies, smoked too much and generally didn't look after themselves....

Soldato
Only 27 but, some of my favourite bits of advice which I like (try) to live by:

Dont worry, it never solves anything.

Dont let anyone put you down, believe in yourself, pursue any goal.

Dont compare your life/situation to others, because you will always find someone who is better off.

I like this one. I think thats a gooden

Back
Top Bottom