28yrs+ people - Give us some general advice in life...

Soldato
stay fit
it's better to have a few very good friends than lots of mates
get as many one night stands as you can before you settle down
don't get a girlfriend for the sake of it
travel
save and get a pension
your parents may annoy the hell out of you at times but they're your best people in life ..... in most cases
never stress over your education, just find your niche
work to live, don't live to work but work hard
be honest

Soldato
As for study - why spend £££s on a pointless degree chosen on a whim at 17yrs of age - when you could beneft from the financial support of a job / life experience before you hang the university millstone around your neck!!
Totally disagree. If you know what you wanna do, go out and do it.
I don't wanna be one of these people in their late 30's/40's just settling down to have kids. I'm sure no one does really.

Man of Honour
Always give something new a go.
Never turn down life experiences.
Don't regret anything, learn from the experiences.
Travel the world, meet new people.
Be open minded.
Enjoy the company of others as much as you can.
Work hard at school.
Go to uni.
Don't spend your life in front of a computer.
There's more to life than money.
Keep in touch with friends, and rekindle old friendships.
Try not to get yourself into too much debt.
Don't get yourself a criminal conviction even a minor one could have detremental effects later on in life (for employment particularly).
Accept you're not always right.
Be eager to learn.
Don't accept everything you're told or see at face value.
Not everyone is out to screw you.

Associate
Never eat anything bigger than your head.
Never **** anything you can't beat in a fight.

More seriously: when you have argument with your girlfriend always apologise, especially if it clearly wasn't your fault :)

Last edited:
Soldato
life is too short. be happy, enjoy yourself. look after those around you.

you only get one shot at it.

if you are miserable then do something about it...

had a crap week so bit morose.... but am doing something about it!! :D

Associate
Totally disagree. If you know what you wanna do, go out and do it.
I don't wanna be one of these people in their late 30's/40's just settling down to have kids. I'm sure no one does really.
There are advantages to both, but your 20s really are the golden years of your life. You have few responsibilities and the cash and friends to really enjoy yourself so don't waste the opportunity by settling down too early. There's still plenty of time to do it late 20's early 30's.

Man of Honour
There are advantages to both, but your 20s really are the golden years of your life. You have few responsibilities and the cash and friends to really enjoy yourself so don't waste the opportunity by settling down too early. There's still plenty of time to do it late 20's early 30's.

Agreed.

Carpe diem etc...

Have fun. :)

Soldato

Agreed - You really have to enjoy your twenties as much as you can! Its not until these opportunity's are over do you realise you had them and there gone.

Soldato

Every generation in my family has had kids early 20's, I aint about to break it, get it out of the way as early as I can.

I hate small children, so get the first 12 years out of the way and it'll be smooth sailing from there with a bit of luck. Then I can die knowing I actually made some difference.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agreed.

Carpe diem etc...

Have fun. :)

I spent my 20's in the Royal Marines, so up to my arms in blood and crap, my 30's I spent building my company and raising my Son, now I am in a position to enjoy and reap the rewards, I would say your 40's are the time in which you can broaden your horizon and experience all those things you just don't have time to do in your 20's and 30's.

Soldato
Remember that you're living your life today so don't dwell on the past.
Same thing goes for the future. It's alright to look forward to something (be it uni, a big move, etc.) but do not forget that today is your life. Do not sit there waiting for something to happen before 'life can begin', it's the journey that's life.

Soldato
I'm 29 and still have no clue what I'm doing, bu theirs been a line that's stuck with me for awhile.

Failure is an option, fear is not.

Soldato
27 here. Have a few nuggets of 'wisdom'

Personal debt is bad. Learn about money and financies as soon as possible, I've been on a repayment plan for over 4 years and still have about 2 years left. I very quickly got into a position which has had me by the balls for much of my 20s - but I'm paying every bit back and learnt a lesson, the hard way.

If you don't know what career you want by the time you are 18, the chances are you won't know until you are mid to late 20s. Choosing a random degree choice won't help you decide. It doesn't matter if you don't know your calling, you'll find it eventually (I'm a careers adviser :p and I don't want to be, oh the ironing!)

If you think you are good at something, and you can succeed at something, don't let people tell you otherwise, find out for yourself. Don't let people's expectations of failiure stop you from trying.

Learn and grow from each relationship you come away from. It'll lead you to someone who is perfect for you if you learn the lessons.

Do something for other people, volunteer work - I was a volunteer for Samaritans for 2-3 years and it changed my life and I got loads from it personally.

If you think of something funny to say, but might be slightly inappropriate given the circumstances - be bold and say it anyway, what's the worst that can happen! :p

Caporegime
I'm 33, my thoughts:

If you're young enough to still be in university, stop knobbing about, get your head down and work hard to get a good result.

Don't stay in a job or situation that makes you miserable. Change is easier than you think.

Earning more money is overrated.

It's never too late to do something different.

It's better to try and fail than not to try.

Soldato

Fully accept and embrace your own mortality, once you have done that your pretty much free of all worry. The little things really do not matter....

Don't settle down in your 20's find out everything you can about yourself and travel as much as possible.

Find someone who can see through you, who loves you not for the outward act you create with your ego but because they see right through it to the person on the inside......someone who makes you feel vulnerable.

Associate
I'm 31

1) Dont listen to people who say that your 20's are the golden years, probably just about anything that can be achieved in your 20's can be achieved into your 30's and probably 40's as well. :D

2) Dont have kids until YOU are ready for them, do not be forced/pressurised into them...they are THE biggest commitment you will ever have.

3) Do always have the confidence to speak your mind, but only so long as you believe in what you are saying.

4) its important to save, but to save for no reason is pointless

5) Exercise Regularly...if you dont you will regret it later in life ;)

6) Never be jealous/envious of other peoples lives, they are probably not as good as they would have you believe.

Back
Top Bottom