2933/3200 JEDEC 32GB 2x16GB Kit [NOT SODIMM]

Soldato
Hi Guys
I've got a Acer pre-built system around that unfortunately does not support XMP (don't get me started, it's greyed out in BIOS). It's based around a 10700K so officially can support 2933MHz, and unofficially much higher.

Rather than having to worry about warranty issues by replacing the motherboard, I was hoping someone might know of some memory kits that have a JEDEC speed of 2933/3200/3600MHz, so I don't have to rely on XMP profiles I cannot use; and have the memory default back to something silly like 2133 or 2400MHz, but should instead just run at the fastest JEDEC profile the motherboard/CPU will allow.

Anyone? I know Kingston have done some SODIMMs with 3200MHZ JEDEC, but am looking for desktop memory, and looks like the desktop DIMMs rely on XMP. If the timings are not terrible that'd be nice too, albeit its for an Intel based system so shouldn't matter so much.

Most of the decent RAM I can see seems to rely on XMP and higher voltages to run at decent speed!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Crucial and Kingston both make desktop memory than can do this, you need the standard 'value' stuff, not the ones with heatsinks and rgb. The timings will be terrible I'm afraid, no way around that.

Soldato
OP
Figured that'd be the case. No worries, at least I know it's possible to find; and if its value it shouldn't be rediculously priced.

I'll take terrible timings over the RAM running at 2133/2400MHz, especially with Intel :)

If anyone has any particular part numbers they think I should check, would be much appreciated.

Man of Honour
Figured that'd be the case. No worries, at least I know it's possible to find; and if its value it shouldn't be rediculously priced.

I'll take terrible timings over the RAM running at 2133/2400MHz, especially with Intel :)

If anyone has any particular part numbers they think I should check, would be much appreciated.

As far as I know, these are all JEDEC:
(16 DS) KVR32N22D8/16, (16 SS) KVR32N22S8/16
(16 DS) KVR29N21D8/16, (16 SS) KVR29N21S8/16
(16) CT16G4DFRA32A, (8) CT8G4DFRA32A
(8) LD4AU008G-R3200GSST

Soldato
OP
PPS I understand 3200 CL 20 is possible via JEDEC. If anyone can find any of this, please do list a kit number :)
I've found Crucial 32GB (16x2) 3200 CL22 JEDEC Dual Rank 1.2V for £150 for 32GB [Kingston seems to be around £200), I'd love to know if there's actually any 3200CL20 JEDEC ram in actual manufacture and not just a spec officially approved by JEDEC.

I am hoping to temporarily test some XMP RAM just to ensure that the XMP on this motherboard is indeed disabled; which I believe it is, but it'd be a waste if I could get a better performing kit for the same price or less; simply due to misunderstanding.

Associate
Had similar with my server board, tried some desktop ram and just couldn't get it stable, I guess some timings settings were off, so bought some Kingston 3200 CL22 dropped in in and was problem free, once it was in I was able to tweak some memory settings and get it down to CL18-18-18 etc, I am sure it would do more in a better motherboard but this board wouldn't even allow a voltage tweak, 1.2 was all I had to play with.

Despite some slow memory speeds (my 3200 dropped to 2933 when I put 4 sticks in) my 5950x still put in benchmark numbers up their with some of the tuned machines so I wouldn't obsess about things too much.

The fact it has XMP in the bios greyed out in your board might suggest it is available, some pre-built board have special key sequence to open up advance menu items, try and find your board name and have a search for that.

Don
Not sure if these will help, but these are all OEM pulled parts, so I'd imagine should be JEDEC SPD Rated:

SK Hynix - HMA81GU6CJR8N (8Gb) 3200AA
Samsung - M378A1G44AB0-CWE (8Gb) 3200AA (Dell OEM)
Samsung - M378A1K43EB2-CWE (8Gb) 3200AA (Origin Dell Replacement)

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. Ideally I'd be looking at 16gb dual rank DIMMs so the above 8GB ones aren't ideal but will bear in mind.

Acer have locked the bios down pretty heavily which is a real shame as the machine has many good points, especially at the price I paid.

Really not sure why they've locked down XMP to be honest.

Associate
XMP is overclocking, most OE companies don't want you to do that.

Have you done the simple thing and asked ACER for an unlocked BIOS, you do have a K chip, the expectation with a K is overclocking, you never know they may provide an unsupported/unwarrantied beta if you sign a disclaimer etc?

There is also the option to do your own BIOS mod, I have done this before to add NVMe boot to a board.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes, I have [to no avail thus far], I've also asked if resizeable bar support is coming, as frankly I also think that should be a done thing.
I have been told that [rebar] is coming August; but as far as I can see Acer is very slow with BIOS updates/support, and unfortunately their CS responsiveness gives much to be desired.

What is frustrating is the product page mentions XMP [and also Overclocking] in one place and then it is never mentioned again; I am loathe to buy XMP requiring RAM only for it to be forced to use poor, slow JEDEC settings.
"With support for dual-channel DDR4 configurations (up to 64GB XMP), a buffet of dual, high-speed storage, Intel’s Z490 chipset and up to a 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i9 Processor – this beast gives you a taste of what a powerful system is truly capable of. "

I am hoping to borrow a stick of RAM to test this out though before I buy anything, if XMP DOES work, then bonus, if it doesn't, 3200 JEDEC kit it is. I am REALLY hoping XMP is greyed out in the motherboard as the included RAM doesn't support it. If this is the case; then I will let them off, but for a Z490, the lack of customisation and control in BIOS is very poor, given the market they are targetting with this grade of machine.

Obviously I'd prefer self builds, but components have not been...ideal...this last year or so, and managed to get this machine at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well was able to borrow some RAM off my brother just now and turns out the info I was given previously was wrong, the machine does in fact support xmp. It doesn't allow you to pick a particular XMP profile but it does at least allow you to activate XMP when compatible RAM is installed, and SEEMS to pick the fastest profile.

Either way this makes my life easier, will allow me to pick a higher performance kit, and potentially cost me less too!

Still think the BIOS is a bit of a joke, but at least a bit happier!

Back
Top Bottom