2nd car weekend toy

Soldato
Just get hot hatch as a daily. Practical if you need it to be and sounds like you'll scratch and itch for them too. I think for a second weekend car to be properly appreciated it wants to be something a bit more special and more of an event to get you out of bed early on Sunday morning to hit the B roads.

Soldato
Concur with the general view, "fast" turbocharged hot hatches are great for every day cars (love my ST estate) but don't cut it as a fun toy.

A really well maintained Clio or type R could be potential exceptions as whilst they're not too quick in a straight line at "motorway" speeds they get there while reving keenly and handle brilliantly with a few tweaks if you decide to chuck them on track.

Otherwise go 2 seats and or a bit mad

Man of Honour
I agree with Fox - the whole point of a hot hatch is that it's a fast but still practical car - I'm unsure why you would have one as a "toy" unless it was a classic/retro hot hatch.

Soldato
I have an S2 Elise as my toy. Costs a bit more, but they aren't losing money now. You may make money if you sell it in a few years. Though they aren't as forgiving as a hot hatch if you want to drive it fast.

So yea, do it the other way round. Expensive toy, cheap daily :D The daily is going to spend most of it's time sat in a carpark collecting dings so why sink money in to it.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have an S2 Elise as my toy. Costs a bit more, but they aren't losing money now. You may make money if you sell it in a few years. Though they aren't as forgiving as a hot hatch if you want to drive it fast.

So yea, do it the other way round. Expensive toy, cheap daily :D The daily is going to spend most of it's time sat in a carpark collecting dings so why sink money in to it.

I get to play with Lotus cars most days, so I certainly see the appeal.

Associate
Yep..... I did. I know it certainly should not be in the same sentence. My 2nd choice will most likely be a ep3 Type-R.

I'd recommend an EP3 Type R, had one from new year's ago that I finally parted with in 2012. Not the fastest car in the world on paper, but every bhp you squeeze out if it will be massive fun. Not sure if you'll get a good one for 5k though, they seem to fetching a premium now for one in good nick.

Soldato
EP3 is great but its still a daily driver. For a toy you want something outrageous which you wouldnt normally get to drive. Otherwise its not an event.

Caporegime
Even my modified fire spitting V70R wasn't exactly weekend toy material IMO, so a C30 T5 will be miles away...

MX5 gets my vote. I've had several and would buy another!

Associate
If I was going for a second car for weekend enjoyment and therefore had no practicality issues, I would go for a Caterham style car

I absolutely love my Caterham, but you're not going to get near with the OPs £5k budget. A half decent Westfield will be £10-12k, Caterham a few grand more.

On the plus side, doing the work yourself to save money is easy and they generally don't depreciate if you maintain them properly.

And they are proper 'toy' cars!

Soldato
Z4 notably the Si will be a nice choice if can get one within budget. MX-5 as a weekend only car too. Wasn't a fan of the older model MX-5's personally but bought a current gen MX-5 last year and have to say Mazda know how to make a car fun and I hear previous models are just as much fun too.

Soldato
MX-5 and Z4 are still in the daily catagory tbh :D

They are quite easy to live with as an only car.

Depends what you need to do with your "only car" really. Perhaps he wants something fun to drive and wants to get his hands dirty, but doesn't want to have to worry about how he is going to get to work on Monday morning as he's half way through a modification or repair on a cold rainy Sunday evening.

Soldato
MX-5 and Z4 are still in the daily catagory tbh :D

They are quite easy to live with as an only car.
I suppose, but MX-5 less so than the Z4 IMO. Ragtop/convertible would always feel more weekend special too I think. I couldn't use mine daily, too difficult to get into, especially if in a carpark and someone parks too close. (old git :D)

Associate
Default choice for obvious reasons is the 5 but with a smallish budget you will struggle to get a good un, that said a decent mk3 should be there.

The first of the 4th gen Nds are now seeing 12k - i can assure you they are absolutely mental fun and much quicker than you would think plus the space inside is better imho.

Back
Top Bottom