2nd car weekend toy

Associate
Only if you are soft :D

Well, :D sort of.

One of the things that really swayed me towards the mk4 Mx5 was its far superior cabin to the Fst and gt86 (at the time) - it is a great place to be if you can fit which is not too hard because the drivers side actually has some room. Heated seats, epic heater and aircon, great visibility when the roofs down... er ok when up ;) and a ride that is fine for the model.
I am 6ft exact and wider than i would like to be :p but i have no trouble with it - i even have the seat a couple of clicks forward as i like to be closer to the wheel for quicker twirling action.

I daily my 5 for the last 4 and a bit years and its been absolutely fine.
It doesnt leak even in the worst rain (even fine in a car wash), its got decent boot space for 1 or 2 folk shopping. Ok the passenger side is more cramped because of the subwoofer they fitted to the bottom which takes about 4 or 5 inches but its not epically bad.

And as i have said its faster than you think, it will keep a 182 honest no problem and is about Fst performance - i dont recall anyone ever saying the Fiesta was too slow, its also faster than the GT86 and does a ton in about 15 seconds.

The 182 and Fst are also contenders though, both are proper hot hatches, none of this cash grabbing modern crap where overweight run of the mill cars are given more boost and stiff suspension and called "sports cars"
All fun.

Soldato
There are down sides to all of them. I had a mk7 FST before a GT86 and the GT86 is WAY nicer to ride in. The seating possition is much more comfortable.

The FST had to go after a couple of years because it was giving me a bad back and shoulders. The ride was also somehow very hard but bouncy at the same time.

Last edited:
Associate
‘90’s Lotus Elan but they seem to be rising in price as well, likely a struggle at £5k and would possibly need some work at the low end of the market. I’m not sure how good they are as an ownership proposition either but expect they drive well enough.

I wish I’d kept my Elise - it’d be worth a lot more now :rolleyes:

Soldato
‘90’s Lotus Elan but they seem to be rising in price as well, likely a struggle at £5k and would possibly need some work at the low end of the market. I’m not sure how good they are as an ownership proposition either but expect they drive well enough.

I think the engines are pretty solid (Izuzu ones I think), but you get electrical issues. But thats the same as with many classics. Electronics don't last forever :(

It's the cheapest of the Lotuses because it's wrong wheel drive, but they are good. About 6k+ now but the ones left are mostly well looked after ones.

Yea that's the thing. I wouldn't want to sell mine and then prices rocket lol. So I'm going to keep it as long as I can. Some of the S1s are worth more than they were new now.

Last edited:
Soldato
111R are like 20k+ now and miliage appears to be irrelevant. The older Rover engined S2s are cheaper but still 15k and up. The limited edition S1s are crazy prices already.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I sold my Elise 111S with 20k miles on it back to Christopher Neil in 2011 for £11,500. Hard top, touring pack etc.

Dont reckon I could replace the equivalent for less than £17k now :(
£11500 9 years ago is over £14000 with inflation taken into account, so don't be too hard on yourself!

Soldato
Aye, imagine selling a DC2 with Mugen 5 way suspension, twinloop exhaust and carbon intake for £3k like I did because the rear arch rusted through. That hurts still.

Associate
OP
Aye, imagine selling a DC2 with Mugen 5 way suspension, twinloop exhaust and carbon intake for £3k like I did because the rear arch rusted through. That hurts still.
:eek: For 3k, I haven’t looked at the prices of them for years. I wanted one about ten years ago, had a couple lined up to look at, then my wife told me she pregnant.

Soldato
:eek: For 3k, I haven’t looked at the prices of them for years. I wanted one about ten years ago, had a couple lined up to look at, then my wife told me she pregnant.

TBH, they're decent cars for a baby.

Massive boot you can lay a baby in to change the nappy, fits prams in and the seats aren't too bad for getting into the back.

The Recaros on my Clio have got springs out of bear traps, takes 2 grown men to fold them forward.

Back
Top Bottom