2TB sabrent Rocket no longer detected and appears to be very very dead

tey

tey

Associate
OP
Not sure he answered this? Even if it was a debit card purchase I'd still speak to your credit card company and then your bank.

paypal but honestly id rather sabrent own up and replace it instead of going down the route of forced refunds, im not completely unreasonable

Soldato
I also thought about not being "unreasonable" once, and got burnt. This is business, be cold about it, they can figure out their own issues you just get your money back.

Associate
Given this is an eBay purchase and therefore likely Paypal involved, you usually can't section 75 refund IIRC?

Even if you do manage to get a refund through some way, I imangine it will only send your own Paypal balance negative and they'll come after you and/or ban your accounts. I'd certainly be careful about how you deal with that, it's absolutely not the same as dealing with a traditional retailer.

Soldato
Sabrent rocket has 5 year warranty if you register it within 90 days, but has to be purchased from an authorized seller, EBAY never has been an authorized seller of any hardware for computers. This is why I don't buy new gear from EBAY and a good chance you get faulty goods or goods that are copies. Drives are the worst on EBAY they are sometimes copies that look like the real thing. Why you think they are a lot cheaper on EBAY ? I think you lined yourself up for a fall sadly there.

Also Sabrent are really good for RMA and send out new drives if yours fails, they don't even question the return, once they get it they send out a new one.

Sorry to say only thing you can do is take it up with EBAY and the seller and ask the seller for a receipt of where he/she purchased it and it may have come from and authorized seller then you could ask Sabrent if they will honour the original receipt if from an authorized seller.

Soldato
Thats the problem with ebay thinking your getting a bargain untill warranty issiues arise.

Its a common mistake people make with ebay.

Yup and then you have all the people there now buying graphics cards for £2k+ and don't realise they have zero warranty and could fail at any time and they have no real come back as the seller will just say user damaged it after many months of it being fine. The Sabrent rocket 2TB is a £370 drive and that's why I never purchased one on ebay even when they were cheaper than everywhere else, because drives fail and no warranty.

Associate
It is odd that sabrent allow you to register for the 5 year warranty and I believe the auction site was on that list. If they think the seller is not authorised then they should reject the product registration.

Associate
It is odd that sabrent allow you to register for the 5 year warranty and I believe the auction site was on that list. If they think the seller is not authorised then they should reject the product registration.

Ebay is the platform for selling, not the seller themselves, so you *could* had an authorised seller selling through ebay, however it's unlikely. I'm guessing the store he bought it off were not authorised and most likely "found" a load of drives on the back of a lorry and setup a store front on ebay to sell them onwards. This might not even be a real Sabrent drive, it could easily be a cheap knock off in Sabrent packaging.

OP, take it as a learning experiance and go through the correct channels next time, if something looks too good to be true, it often is. Sabrent are not at fault here, you are.

tey

tey

Associate
OP
it is less than a year old and requires no registration for 12 month UK warranty (as stated on both the packaging and in the manual ) regardless of where you got it aslong as its a genuine product and these dead drives are starting to pop up in mass now, the 5 year extended warranty is where things get difficult legally but sabrent are intentionally now delaying the RMA, never buy from sabrent

Associate
Well, I'm in the same boat. A 7 month old 1Tb Sabrent Rocket 4.0 - totally dead.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of buying from Ebay, I won't be touching Sabrent with a bargepole ever again and I'd suggest everyone else think twice before buying their rubbish.

Back to Samsung for me, accept no substitute.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom