• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2x8800GTS 640MB In Sli = What single card solution?

Soldato
Theres a couple more triple A titles coming out that use physx atleast as much as batman - possibly more...

Personally I think it added nicely to the atmosphere in batman - even tho most of the effects used could have been done fairly well on a CPU only physics lib... except maybe some of the cloth workload in some sections.

PhysX made the frame rate choppy and uncomfortable even on the 'Normal' setting in Batman; that was with a GTX260 @ 1920x1200, max settings. It's just not really acceptable for a few bits of fluttering paper. Installed a 5850 yesterday and won't be looking back.

Man of Honour
No problems with framerate here - 2048x res, everything including physx on max, lots of AA... fraps showed it above 50fps most of the time - generally hard pegged against the limit.

The only time I saw problems was if I stayed in those "old" sections with the aqeducts/brick towers for too long (more than 20-30 minutes) - only really noticed it when I went back to do old puzzles - think it was due to the physx falling rubble not being cleared properly and building up a "backlog" after awhile.

EDIT: Oh just realised thats due to the 190 series drivers - I put on to test mid way through playing - I should go back to the 186.18s again - was no slowdown at all with those.

Caporegime
PhysX made the frame rate choppy and uncomfortable even on the 'Normal' setting in Batman; that was with a GTX260 @ 1920x1200, max settings. It's just not really acceptable for a few bits of fluttering paper. Installed a 5850 yesterday and won't be looking back.

Yeah the games need to run at about 100+ frames before you can use PhysX, as the cards take about a 30 frame hit with it on, so be no good in a game like Crysis, as if you can't break 50 in that with no PhysX, then when you turn it on, you're gona be down to 20. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
So you are are running a X800XL and just ordered a 5870? Thanks for your unbiased opinion. You don't need to justify your purchase to me my lad, just the credit card company.

Considering you completely missed the other 2 PC's in his sig running nVidia cards, I suggest you go for a 5800 series card. Obviously your eyes do not pick up details, so the little value PhysX brings would be wasted on you :p

Man of Honour
Yeah the games need to run at about 100+ frames before you can use PhysX, as the cards take about a 30 frame hit with it on, so be no good in a game like Crysis, as if you can't break 50 in that with no PhysX, then when you turn it on, you're gona be down to 20. :p

I think those numbers are slightly exagerated :p

But this is one reason I like SLI + PhysX - a lot of the time neither card is running above 70% load so theres plenty of space to run physx work before it starts to touch the framerate at all.

Caporegime
Theres a review posted in here somewhere, shows the 275/285 running Mirrors Edge with and without PhsyX, with PhsyX on, the 285 dropped about 26 frames, the 275 dropped about 30, now thats some hit for some waving flags. :eek:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Bare in mind that some of that hit isn't the physx processing itself but drawing the visual component of the extra effects.

Soldato
So you are are running a X800XL and just ordered a 5870? Thanks for your unbiased opinion. You don't need to justify your purchase to me my lad, just the credit card company.

I don't own a 5870, my main rig has a 260, and I actually picked up another for 260 SLi, so well done

Waiting for a 5870 2gb for 6 screens.

Enjoy PhysX :cool:

Soldato
Batman with the physx is fine, runs really smooth and looks stunning, dunno what people are going on about up there tbh :rolleyes:

Calling me a liar then :rolleyes:

It ran like arse, shouldn't do, no idea why, end of :)

Not worth the hassle given how much of a total marketing gimmick PhysX is anyway.

And I'm supposed prefer Nvidia...

Last edited:
Associate
if your staying green then woudl say hold out for new gen card from them later this year/early next year. bit pointless buying old tech of the 2x series now imo

Soldato
Grow up, I didnt even quote you (in my previous post, lol):p

No, you inferred. Granted it could have been a driver issue and I didn't look into sorting it out, but that just shows how worthless I felt the PhysX effects were.

Regardless, as for the original question, two G80 core 8800GTSs should be around as fast as a GTX260, given that a 9800GX2 which ran two G92 core 8800GTSs was a bit higher than that.

Soldato
No, you inferred. Granted it could have been a driver issue and I didn't look into sorting it out, but that just shows how worthless I felt the PhysX effects were.

Regardless, as for the original question, two G80 core 8800GTSs should be around as fast as a GTX260, given that a 9800GX2 which ran two G92 core 8800GTSs was a bit higher than that.

Calling me a liar then?

:rolleyes:

Awesome Thread!

Back
Top Bottom