• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3.4Ghz Phenom Showing As 785Mhz!

Associate
As the title says my new cpu is showing as 785mhz in windows properties and in cpu-z im getting 807mhz ... whats going on???

Its a new build and everything is running great using a hard drive from an old machine - xp home.

thanks in advance

Associate
OP
omfg i really had a panic on then haha thanks man!!!

oh on subject im only seeing 2.75Gb of ram too from 2x2Gb DDR3 1333 ... any ideas why?

i am on 32bit but expected maybe 3.5Gb to show?

Soldato
omfg i really had a panic on then haha thanks man!!!

oh on subject im only seeing 2.75Gb of ram too from 2x2Gb DDR3 1333 ... any ideas why?

i am on 32bit but expected maybe 3.5Gb to show?

4GB is the total amount of memory which a 32bit OS can address so if you have a 1GB+ graphics card then that's where other ram is being lost!

Soldato
Phenom doesn't use speed step, I think the equivalent is "cool n quiet". I'm impressed it can clock it that low. Run prime95 for a bit just to check it comes back up under load

Associate
OP
running a gtx295 so i doubt the graphics is taking the memory lol?

deffo only seeing the 2.75 but when i was installing something the cpu was up at 2.15ghz.

system is phenom 3.4 quad, gtx295, 850w corsair, 1tb hdd, blue ray rom n blueray rw.

all running from stock out the can i got 18000 3d marks in 06 - is that normal???

Associate
hey, I just got a phenom II 720 with a Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P and if i change the multi on the cpu it seems to disable **** n quiet. When I check in cpuz its running at full speed. Will this damage the cpu in any way? and is there a way to have cool n quiet enabled with the multi changed. (sorry i havnt used a amd cpu in a very long time)

Soldato
Mmm, when my processor has nothing to do, even when overclocked it will still go into an idle state.

Basically it drops the multiplier from up to x21 down to x9.

Bus speed stays at whatever it was set to but the multiplier adjusts according to load.

I can overclock to 3.6GHz but at idle that is merely 1.5433GHz because the multiplier goes to x9 when there's nothing to do.

With something worthwhile to do it turns the multiplier to 21 for 3.6Ghz then occasionally Turbo will kick in and hit just over 4Ghz if really pushed.

I luvs my i5 o.0

Associate
yeah thats what It was like with my intel cpu, but it seems to differ with amd. The temps at idle are really good it seems only going up to 25 really so it all seems fine.

Back
Top Bottom