3,500 File Sharers Arrested

Soldato
aliensid said:
I personally download music. If I like it I'll feel compelled to go out and buy it. If you go to buy a car you don't just buy a Ford because you liked the last Ford you have, you'd take it for a test drive first; why can't the same be true for music?

it can, the artists (if good ones) will have 2 or 3 songs from the albums you can fully download before the album is released or just generally on their website.

i feel the "samples" that online stores give of the songs are crap and never enough of the song.

Associate
I love watching DVD's with my mate, he's a brillaint "riffer" ala Mystery Science Theater.

Anyway getting to the point we were watching that "you wouldn't steal a car" part of the piracy advert and he turns arounds and say "well I can't download a car"

Classic

Associate
Uchiha Sasuke said:
Bit drastic really?
Over the top really, tons of people do it, but arresting 3,500 is just crazy =/
There are other crimes they can go sort out tbh =D

exactly, once all the murders, rapes, and shootings are dealt with then come complain at us

Soldato
ArmyofHarmony said:
Artists lose negliable amounts of money, because most the people who download, wouldnt buy, no matter what (this is fact, whether you like it or not).

If i was a famous musician, i wouldnt care how many people downloaded my stuff, aslong as i still got a load of money.
Of course the amount of money artists actually stand to lose from illegal downloading is questionable, but you understand why the IFPI/BPI/RIAA carry out these high-profile raids, don't you? If they just sat back and said "oh, the artists don't loose any money anyway" everyone would be downloading music by illegal means. Regardless, these industry bodies have a job to do. I'm not a lawyer, nor a music expert, but I'd imagine if they gave in to music pirates, the next week a new independant body would be set up to fight music piracy, and artists would just jump on board that one.

Soldato
Yet another report telling of arrests rather than prosecutions. It's all a load of hog-wash. Let's wait and see how many of them actually get prosecuted, I bet hardly any because many will be intimidated and simply pay up but also because, by and large, it is not easy to *prove* that it was a given individual uploading/downloading unless the Police enter the premises, confiscate the actual computers and are somehow able to identify illicit content and that's not even considering how many of them will be running wireless networks which can be used by anyone anonymously. For example, I was sat in a car in a business park using a laptop and it picked up 5 wireless networks, three of which were unsecured. I could have downloaded/uploaded what I wanted, and I'd never have been identified yet it would show up on someone's records wouldn't it? Would they be liable? I don't think so. Could the Police prove someone *didn't* access their network and upload/download the data in question? Of course not.

Associate
Superdude said:
I love watching DVD's with my mate, he's a brillaint "riffer" ala Mystery Science Theater.

Anyway getting to the point we were watching that "you wouldn't steal a car" part of the piracy advert and he turns arounds and say "well I can't download a car"

Classic

Ah god yeah, the anti-piracy adverts are abyssmal. Some are to the extreme like; 'Piracy fuels terrorism'. Tbh I think anyone would steal a car if;
a) Everyone else was doing it
b) It was a civil offence
c) Little/no chance of being caught and the organisation dealing with it was ineffective.

Damn you anti-piracy media fools!

Soldato
Funny, I was just reading this:

As reported here and here, Canadian artists such as Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, Sarah McLachlan, Chantal Kreviazuk, Sum 41, Stars, Raine Maida (Our Lady Peace), Dave Bidini (Rheostatics), Billy Talent, John K. Samson (Weakerthans), Broken Social Scene, Sloan, Andrew Cash and Bob Wiseman, have formed a new Canadian Music Creators Coalition (CMCC). They are speaking out against the same entertainment industry associations such as the RIAA and CRIA, who claims to represent artist rights. Stop the piracy! Feed the artists! Apparently that's not the case according to the CRIA's own study. Talk about irony.

I'm also a fan of Sarah Mclachlan. In moments like this, I'm proud to be a Canadian. Laughing

The CMCC outlines 3 interesting points in their stance:
Canadian Music Creators Coalition wrote:
1. Suing Our Fans is Destructive and Hypocritical

Artists do not want to sue music fans. The labels have been suing our fans against our will, and laws enabling these suits cannot be justified in our names. We oppose any copyright reforms that would make it easier for record companies to do this. The government should repeal provisions of the Copyright Act that allow labels to unfairly punish fans who share music for non-commercial purposes with statutory damages of $500 to $20,000 per song.

2. Digital Locks are Risky and Counterproductive

Artists do not support using digital locks to increase the labels’ control over the distribution, use and enjoyment of music or laws that prohibit circumvention of such technological measures. The government should not blindly implement decade-old treaties designed to give control to major labels and take choices away from artists and consumers. Laws should protect artists and consumers, not restrictive technologies. Consumers should be able to transfer the music they buy to other formats under a right of fair use, without having to pay twice.

3. Cultural Policy Should Support Actual Canadian Artists

The vast majority of new Canadian music is not promoted by major labels, which focus mostly on foreign artists. The government should use other policy tools to support actual Canadian artists and a thriving musical and cultural scene. The government should make a long-term commitment to grow support mechanisms like the Canada Music Fund and FACTOR, invest in music training and education, create limited tax shelters for copyright royalties, protect artists from inequalities in bargaining power and make collecting societies more transparent.

In france, non-commercial uploading and downloading on P2P networks are ruled to be legal. And Band sells 120,000 copies of album thanks to online downloading, consistent with the CRIA's study showing no link of P2P as the cause for dwindling music sales.

However, to be fair, the internet and P2P networks does present a new kind of sharing on a global scale, that was never possible before between friends on restriction of geography. But DRM is clearly not the answer, as locks do not stop real theives, it only inconvenience casual internet users like you, who would pay directly to support artists if it's convenient and the price is fair. So I see a middle ground, to remove this last "mass piracy" argument: watermarks. And my question for you is this:

If you are paying, at a fair price, for downloaded digital media in support of musicians and other content producers, would you allow watermarks that can trace back to you, should the file you purchased be traded openly on P2P networks? Such watermarked files would be completely DRM-free, with freedom to be played on any device and traded to friends, in a number within reason. If you are an artist, is this even a concern for you, that your works are traded on global P2P networks that would not directly support you financially? If you are a consumer and a fan, do you care?

Ok, that's more than one question. This announcement has a poll attached, vote and discuss below. I and developers here at XXXXXXX really would like to know what you think, fans and artists alike. Perhaps, we can also come to a common ground with the MPAA, despite their pending lawsuit against us. We can hope.

Associate
i download for a listen if its good i buy it , if not its delete time
better than buying album and putting it in bin
the latest number one (crazy)got there by download so maybe the music industry want their cake and eat it
dave

Associate
its quite funny really...
theres plenty of studies saying downloading hasn't had major effects on music sales, and plenty more that say its actually had a positive effect on independent music sales. (someone else can go find them...)

The independent industry who dont only think with their wallets recognise this, and you wont find them trying to sue anyone - its counterproductive (see above).
Its the major labels who only see artists as money that are concerned, and trying to get as much as they can.

So in conclusion, only listen to good music, you'll have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom