1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 hdd set up

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by madass010, 8 Jun 2010.

1. madass010

Associate

hi folks,
    i have 3 hdd`s now

ocz vertex limited edition 50gb

300gb velociraptor (SATA)

wd caviar 320gb quite old (SATA) drive

now im a bit confused as to which sata ports i should be plugging into as i would like to have it all set up properly im not really clued up on all this ide achi and raid malarky

i have the gigabyte x58 ud3r mobo, what would be the best ports to set these up on and which mode should the be in ide or achi? and how do i achieve this which controllers/drivers etc do i need ?

thx chaps

2. jbloggs

Soldato

You want to attach your SSD and HDDs to Intel ICH10R cont., the top 6 SATA ports belong to the ICH10R, I think they will be coloured blue, attach your them to the first 3 ports SATA2_0 to SATA2_2, in BIOS set the Intel ICH10R controller to AHCI, Save & Exit and install Windows, both Win 7 and Vista contain the ICH10R and Intel chipset drivers, however, worthwhile updating these (especially if installing Win 7) with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology (which also updates the drivers to 9.6.0.1014) and Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (9.1.1.1025) when desktop appears...

3. madass010

Associate

thx this sounds good to me i take it these ocz ssd`s are not sata 6gb then ?

4. 413x

Capodecina

thats the sort of setup id like, my VR for big games etc, and my 1.5tb for blu rays and when ssds eventually come down in price, an 80gb or bigger one for OS and programs!