30 mph !

Soldato
So i've had a 19 year break from driving.
If I didn't need to drive i wouldn't but i do.

soooooooo:

I stick to the speed limit and the roads on my commute to work are 30 mph zones.
I'ts starting to wind me up the amount of people that drive up me bum because i am sticking to the speed limit.

I don't remember it being this bad 19 years ago or are people just more rude these days?

Also do cars behind appear closer in your rear view mirror than they actually are ?

i'm trying to train myself not to look in my rear view mirror if i am just staying in my lane because
i think i'm getting a bit obsessed with it and i try and tell myself to keep an eye on where i am going rather than where i have been and just let the law breaker behind get angry instead of me.
BUT i am struggling :D

anyone else experience my 3rd world issue ?

Man of Honour
Happens all the time :( annoys me no end - I've recently (well over 6 months now) started driving a pickup and encounter it even worse than I'm used to.

I tend to stick pretty rigorously to the speed limit in built up areas - seen too many incidents - which results in no end of people sitting so close I can't see their numberplate :(

One of the problems is I think modern life pushing more and more people into cars that wouldn't choose to be there - just wait until you encounter the shocking driving habits of the 40 MPH everywhere brigade - these people need taking off the road.

Soldato
It's annoying, I hate it too. I drive with 4 seconds behind.

One thing worth noting though is that many folk now drive to the speed their sat nav is saying, and most cars spedos are about 10% over reading, so pretty often you might be doing 27mph and not 30mph.

Soldato
both - rear view mirror and wing mirrors give a different perception of distance IME...had a rental car on holiday once that had 'Objects in mirror are closer than they appear' etched in to the wing mirrors, and yes loads of people drive too close

and yes there's a big difference from 19 years ago, even 5-10 years ago

Caporegime
Yup. Our roads are full of these *****.

The same people who speed through these 30mph zones will normally proceed to go just 40mph when the speed limit opens up to be derestricted as well.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's annoying, I hate it too. I drive with 4 seconds behind.

One thing worth noting though is that many folk now drive to the speed their sat nav is saying, and most cars spedos are about 10% over reading, so pretty often you might be doing 27mph and not 30mph.

Yeah, I think mine reads 5mph slower than the speedometer. I always slow down a fair bit when speed cameras are nearby. I like to stay 7mph slower in those sections.

Man of Honour
Yeah, I think mine reads 5mph slower than the speedometer. I always slow down a fair bit when speed cameras are nearby. I like to stay 7mph slower in those sections.

My speedo is around 3MPH higher than GPS though weirdly it isn't out by a constant percentage - the further either side of ~45MPH both higher and lower it creeps up until it is about 8% out but at around 45MPH it is fairly close to accurate.

Associate
I have an urban dual carriageway outside our estate and almost everyone does over the 30mph limit up it, it’s like a drag strip. Some 20yr old kid got killed the other week.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I have an urban dual carriageway outside our estate and almost everyone does over the 30mph limit up it, it’s like a drag strip. Some 20yr old kid got killed the other week.
Yeh I heard it's mad up in Loogabarooga.

Edit: wait, I thought you made up that place... but it's Loughborough?? :eek: :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The other one that annoys me is the massive increase in the last 10 years of complacent lazy driving especially for instance cutting across corners and/or coming around bends taking a lazy line well over the other side of the road, etc. fortunately so far fingers crossed I've been able to predict it coming and avoid a collision while it is highly amusing seeing how much they **** themselves when they suddenly realise their laziness has put them on a close call with a large pickup it is going to end badly one day - hopefully not when I'm around.

There have been some pretty nasty accidents on the A roads around here due to people taking the lazy line around bends so that driving is increasingly making me angry.

Also at the end of my garden is a pretty sharp corner - hear heavy braking and see near misses multiple times a day and apparently before they put the warning signs up someone was hitting our wall atleast once a month.

Back
Top Bottom