30 yrs old - too old to learn something new and enter career?

Associate
I was wondering exactly this the other week. At the age of 30 and with a wife & child who depend on my income, is it feasable to give up accountancy for a career that I don't hate?

Trouble is I don't know what it is I want to do. When I was a kid all I wanted to be was a helicopter pilot or a police officer but I was too shortsighted to do either. I chose my A-levels with a view to engineering but after 8 A & 2 B grade GCSEs I had a bad time at sixthform and came out with a D in Physics and a B in Media Studies. I wasn't attracted by university at the time as I'd fallen out with education and wanted to work for a while. Now here I am, 12 years later a part qualified accountant who hates almost every minute of his working life.

I feel your pain m8...and the line between 'Rambo-ing' it in the big bad world and staying secure is VERY blurry to me at the moment, and that is with dependents. To me it feels like sitting still doing nothing is like dying a slow death...

Soldato
Get a job as a business analyst - the quality I have seen in the last couple of years makes me think they gained their knowledge from reading the back of weetabix packets...

I learns my BA skills from Wikipedia and common sense ... although I'm darn good :)

Associate
It's never too late, ever (well, I guess until you retire anyway). It's just harder when you have responsibilities, both time and money wise. If you want to change, then do it, the more thought you give it the better though

Caporegime
Get a job as a business analyst - the quality I have seen in the last couple of years makes me think they gained their knowledge from reading the back of weetabix packets...

Usually because its such a broad job that encompasses many different people with completely different skill sets...

Techie types know what the software engineers want but can be out of their depth when it comes to whatever the business domain is and the opposite can frequently be true of people coming from a particular business domain. Techies can look stupid when talking to clients business types can look stupid talking to developers.

Caporegime
In answer to the OP - unless you've got your heart set on a career as a fighter pilot then no 30 is not 'too old'.

Soldato
A guy at Uni with me had an interesting story. His dad at the age of 30 decided to become a doctor. So went and did his a-levels and then went to medical school. He finished top in the University class and now is a kickass surgeon earning tons of money. So dont let your age put you off, if you are happy to work hard people will give you a chance

Associate
My father was like 50 when he suddenly chose to get a bachelors and a masters to get into law so no, it's never really too late. I bet driving 20-year-old chicks to uni was fun too lol. :rolleyes:

- Ordokai

Associate
36 here and thinking about another change (havent a clue yet) so far its been

RAF->IT->NEXT? im averaging about 9 years before being totally fed up.

work out £££ for commitments then have a go. like said earlier workout how long a working life you have left and work backwards theres many years left. roll on when im in 50's and kids left home we can downsize and B+Q hardware dept here i come :)

im generally looking at the minimum wage i'll need my family to survive on and try to find a job/junior position that gets entry at that then work back up the ladder to get more dosh :) although the more i work the more i realise i prefer happyness/satisfaction rather than money.

good luck, but remember you have a job and dont bite the hand that feeds you....

Back
Top Bottom