306 D Turbo Overheating

Associate
From the 1.6 Peugeot, a fill up is between 50-55 litres, worst i've had is 380 miles, best is 460.

In my mates D-Turbo, a fill up is between 54-58 litres (his warning light comes on much later for some reason) and he gets between 520-650.

We bought at the same time (his was much older) bought my 1.6 in May 03 for £1950, a Phase 2 Dturbo at the time would've been 2.5k. I worked out that the amount of miles to break even would be 30,000 miles. I did roughly that before switching to my current car, and i've enjoyed a quieter engine and lower service costs, but these are negated by the fact that the dturbo would be worth about 1k now, whereas my 1.6 is about 800. So all in all about even.

If you really want to save money, drop the 3 door requirement and get yourself a 5 door, or even better, a 4 door saloon, they're cheap as chips, beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Soldato
Well I'll ring up direct line in a bit and ask if they can do me a deal considering i'm earning no claims on my moms policy. They honoured my mate a 1 NCB at 6 months due to him being on another policy as long as he was willing to stay with them.

I'll get a quote on a Saxo first, then try a 1.9DT.

I wonder which will be cheaper???? ;)

Soldato
Just got a quote from Quinn-Direct @ £1275 TPFT PP. :)

Direct Line don't want to know.

I'll now try endsleigh/norwich union/elephant & bell.

Well I tried Norwich Union ---->Gotta be 21
Endsleigh----->£2200
Adrian Flux----->Don't insure 17 y/o's on Hot Hatches
Allen & Allen-----> £2300
Swinton --------> £1750

So Quinn wins by a mile...........

Is it worth me waiting till I am 18 and see if it drops or just go and get one now?

I can justify the £1275 repayments and will still have a few hundred left over after the purchase of the car if I can get one for £2500-£2700 :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Did you try Elephant or Bell in the end? If so, try them and add your mother as a second driver as this can reduce the quote by a large amount

When do you turn 18? The thing to do would be to re-run the quotes but fake your date of birth so that you're 18 and see how much they drop

Back
Top Bottom