1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

306 Seat Knackered

Discussion in 'Motors' started by sparkymark75, 18 Sep 2009.

1. sparkymark75

Mobster

My get to work 1998 306 XSi has failed it's MOT because of the drivers seat has a cracked frame. Does anybody know how easy they are to remove/fit?

I'm trawling around local scrappies looking for a replacement but not having much luck so far :(

2. iaind

Capodecina

Just 4 bolts and possibly an electical connection

3. sparkymark75

Mobster

Ok, got it. One of the bolts is a bitch! The orange cable is for the pre-tensioner, it's two cables soldered together where they meet. Is it safe just to snip them?

4. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

Isn't the point in the pre tensioner to hold tension, so it'll do something odd if you snip them...I'm not sure though.

As IainD said, 4 bolts though...should just be able to remove them, unless it has airbags in the seat or sensors in the seat...or heatead seats, but I'd have thought they are just electrical connections/plugs.

5. Nomisf

Man of Honour

The pretensioner pulls the belt tight in the case of an accodent , to restrain you. If you want it is fairly easy to remove the tensioner mech (2 bolts) and stick it on the new seat, just dont drop it !! Otherwise it really is as easy as 4 torx bolts (t35 ? )

6. Stellios

Capodecina

Good luck buddy, I had a hell of a time finding a seat due to the same problem, and I gave up and bought a Focus.

To remove the seat.

1. Unplug the battery (Assuming you have side airbags/pretensioners?)
    2. Leave for 30mins-1hour
    3. Unplug cable under seat
    4. Remove screws and remove seat
    5. Attach new seat
    6. Connect wiring
    7. Reconnect battery

7. Nomisf

Man of Honour

Surely unless it was heated/all airbags fancy seat they should be 10 a penny - a friend of mine couldn't even give away his 306 interior!

8. Stellios

Capodecina

Honest, I spent 3 months looking in scrappies for a drivers seat for a 1.4LX phase 3 (probably the most seen model) and had no luck. Was an excuse for a bigger engine too :)

9. Nomisf

Man of Honour

Wow, thats quite some time - should have stuck a nice HDi part leather interior in there. I dont blame you , the 1.4 is woeful.

10. InvaderGIR

Capodecina

All 306 seats are the same. :confused:

Just find one from the same interior spec vehicle.

11. sparkymark75

Mobster

Crikey, can't afford that for now!

When you say unplug the able, that implies it's plugged into something by a connection of some sort. All I can see are two orange wires soldered together.

12. sparkymark75

Mobster

Easier said than done.

13. Nomisf

Man of Honour

is either wire connected to the seat itself ? (sounds silly i know) if not, someone has removed/attempted to disable to pretensioner

14. sparkymark75

Mobster

The wire comes from under the carpet under the seat, runs up under the seat and then into the seat belt buckle. Can't see a connection anywhere but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

15. Nomisf

Man of Honour

Ah ok, seems someone has removed the connector then (they tend to become faulty and cause an error light - you will either need to cut them and re connect when you replace the seat - or remove the pretensioner while the seat is in situ (possibly made easier by removing bolts and rotating/fiddling with seat, then put it onto the new one in the same manner.

16. sparkymark75

Mobster

I see what you were refering to now. Managed to get a seat and when I removed it from the car at the scrapyard, it was still connected by the plastic connectors.

So in my haste to get it fitted into my car, I wnet and cut the soldered together cables without taking note of what was connected to what :rolleyes:

The wires from the seat are pink and grey and bot wires from under the carpet are orange/yellow. What would happen if I connected them the wrong way around? Is the airbag likely to fire when I re-connect the battery?

Idiot :eek: