• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3070 causing mobo beep error code

Associate
Hi all, appreciate any help if possible as I am struggling to fix my issue!
Just upgraded my PC to a Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Ampere Graphics Card, however i am having a beep code issue when booting the PC. It appears to be running fine though once up and running??

I am getting pretty much max fps at 1440p for my monitor (144hz oc to 165hz) however this GPU is making my motherboard beep one long 4 short beeps when booting up, my 2070 SUPER didn't have this error beep, I changed back to check if this issue occurred with the 2070 and nope, only with the 3070. The 2070 only had one beep upon start-up which I think means boot successful.

I thought it might be the power supply wattage, as 750w is recommended with an i9, so installed a 850w yesterday over my 650w and that did not fix the issue either.

I also just seen another post on here saying don't use daisy chain for power cable, so I installed 2 separate power cables to the PSU and its not that either, still beeping upon start up! Anyone else had an issue like this?

PC SPEC. AS FOLLOWS:
  • Intel Core i9 9900K - 8 Cores - 16 Threads @ 3.6Ghz/5Ghz + 16MB CACHE
  • CPU Overclocked To Approx 4.7Ghz To 4.8Ghz
  • ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING - USB3.1 Gen2, SATA6 + DUAL M.2
  • ID-COOLING Auraflow 240 RGB - AIO Water Cooler
  • Asus GeForce RTX 3070 8GB ROG STRIX OC Ampere Graphics Card
  • CORSAIR Vengeance RGB pro 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz
  • 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro M.2 NVMe - 3500MB/s(R)-3000MB/s(W)
  • 850w Corsair Gold PSU

PS - Thanks for reading and hoping someone can help me fix this!

Associate
ALSO is it essential to not use daisy chain power cables? i've read people are saying not to do that, i did for the first few days and had no issues?

As the power draw of these cards is high, and an 8 Pin cable only supports ~200W of current (not 100% certain on the exact figure), its is highly advisable to use 2 or 3 separate 8 Pin connectors to the card, otherwise you run the risk of drawing too much current through the 8 pin wiring, which can damage the wiring/connector.

Associate
Apologies but I'm going to hijack this post as it's pretty similar to my issue.

1 long beep then 3 short beeps (a no VGA error) on my ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero. I have a Corsair 750W RMX, a RTX 3070 and Ryzen 5900x, 32gb decent RAM.

In spite of this error beep, it proceeds to boot to windows with no apparent issues....

I have two separate modular cables going from two separate sockets on my PSU to the 6 pin and 8 pin ports on my GPU respectively. Both of these cables are butterfly cables (as it's all I have), but crucially I'm only using one connector on each cable to actually plug in to the GPU (difficult to explain). Presumably the fact that they're butterfly cables doesn't matter, so long as you're only using one connector on each cable?

Thanks

Associate
OP
Did you try what worked for me? I think it’s just needing update on bios firmware/drivers for the new cards.

all was working fine for me but I don’t like the beep so disabled CSM and worked fine

Associate
Thanks for the reply. I've got the latest BIOS release (07/12/20). I'll try disabling CMS and see what happens. I'm no expert but isn't it a bit odd that CMS would have anything to do with the GPU?

Ta

Back
Top Bottom