• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3080TI launching this year $999 with 20GB VRAM

Soldato
Would agree until all confirmed take with salt. But does make sense, nice slot for a Ti card between the 3080 and 3090 both chip, price and even naming wise. Will be left with a bunch of chips I imagine that do not need to locked off quiet as much as the 3080, but do not quiet make the cut for the 3090 as they all share the same core.

Suspect it may be like Titan X and 1080Ti (though not quiet as close as that pairing). Those who can't wait for the best will get the 3090 so get the premium from those guys. Then get the 3080Ti out there and get more sales from those who the 3090 price tag was a tad too much.

Man of Honour
I'd be careful with any leaks - lots of sites and certain YouTubers, which have been bigging up their source, have been dead wrong on Ampere heh.

Associate
3070Ti with 16GB for $600 and 3080Ti with 20GB for $800(+) make sense product wise.
Also makes sense for Nvidia to wait and see what happens to Big Navi before releasing these.

Associate
OP
The specs, price and timing do align but no idea whether it's 'true'.
Would agree until all confirmed take with salt. But does make sense, nice slot for a Ti card between the 3080 and 3090 both chip, price and even naming wise. Will be left with a bunch of chips I imagine that do not need to locked off quiet as much as the 3080, but do not quiet make the cut for the 3090 as they all share the same core.

Suspect it may be like Titan X and 1080Ti (though not quiet as close as that pairing). Those who can't wait for the best will get the 3090 so get the premium from those guys. Then get the 3080Ti out there and get more sales from those who the 3090 price tag was a tad too much.
It really depends on RDNA2 but I suspect there's a lot of truth in it. I'm waiting for the 3099;).

Soldato
3070Ti with 16GB for $600 and 3080Ti with 20GB for $800(+) make sense product wise.
Also makes sense for Nvidia to wait and see what happens to Big Navi before releasing these.

3070 Ti confuses me a bit. There's only £170 between the 3070 and 3080 as it is. Seems a bit tight for another card to be slotted between the two.

It does make me wonder if the Ti cards could come after AMD's announcement, and be accompanied by adjusted pricing?

Soldato
3070 Ti confuses me a bit. There's only £170 between the 3070 and 3080 as it is. Seems a bit tight for another card to be slotted between the two.

It does make me wonder if the Ti cards could come after AMD's announcement, and be accompanied by adjusted pricing?
As the original article said, it could also be that Lenovo published out of date information. It seems obvious that a 20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 exist in at least design form, based on the leaks. It's possible they were originally intending to just release those versions with the double memory, but then changed their minds and scaled it back to what we have now. Maybe they know AMD have nothing to threaten to them, so they could afford to gimp the VRAM. Maybe it was always the plan to launch the small versions first and the doubled VRAM models will come next year. Impossible to say really.

Soldato
I'd be careful with any leaks - lots of sites and certain YouTubers, which have been bigging up their source, have been dead wrong on Ampere heh.

Nvidia's silence on the subject is telling, if there were no plans to release such a card they would say so, so as not to put a dent in 'vanilla' 3080 sales. They can't flat out deny there is no such card, then launch it a few months later.

There is simply too big a market gap between the 3080 & 3090 for there not to be such a card on the horizon.

Caporegime
As the original article said, it could also be that Lenovo published out of date information. It seems obvious that a 20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 exist in at least design form, based on the leaks. It's possible they were originally intending to just release those versions with the double memory, but then changed their minds and scaled it back to what we have now
12/16/20/24 sounds very much like the intended figures.

6/8/10 ..... ...... <tumbleweed> ..... 24

That gap is just ridiculous and defies explanation.

Associate
Is the extra 10GB VRAM likely to be a worthwhile upgrade for a £250-300 price increase? [Edit: noted that it will have extra CUDA cores too]

Also, do we know enough about this touted new gizmo where the GPU accesses data on SSD drives in a more effective way? Does that perhaps reduce the VRAM requirements?

Soldato
Is the extra 10GB VRAM likely to be a worthwhile upgrade for a £250-300 price increase? [Edit: noted that it will have extra CUDA cores too]

Also, do we know enough about this touted new gizmo where the GPU accesses data on SSD drives in a more effective way? Does that perhaps reduce the VRAM requirements?
The new I/O technology is designed to load stuff into VRAM faster, but it's still using the PCIe bus, which is far, far slower than the VRAM itself. There's still going to be a huge performance penalty for running out of VRAM and needing to shuffle stuff in and out, regardless of whether it's coming from system memory or direct from an SSD.

Back
Top Bottom