• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Caporegime
Yea its really nice. The box, the card, everything feels really nice and premium. They knocked it out of the park in terms of feel and looks.

Just a shame about the **** thermal pads, and coil whine.

Didn't get any whine that i noticed on my 3070, though i've read the 3080 upwards can have it.

Associate
Can't say I can hear anything here, even with Furmark running full tilt. Must be all the wine :)

Edit: Is there a better test / load likely to cause it?

Last edited:

Stu

Stu

Soldato
What boost and temps are people getting with 3080FE? I've been playing Overwatch all evening (I know, not very taxing for 3080), and my GPU is holding around 1875 (+/- 15) with a max peak at 1950, and temp is 73-77C.

Soldato
Not wanting to put a downer on it but seen an article that AMD/Sony have said getting a PS5 into 2022 is gonna be difficult...

If that's the sign of the times, glad I got my card in November now absolutely.

PS5 way harder to get than a 3080 I reckon, at least the 3080s dont have queue at the retailer and are during the day at consistent hours.

Soldato
Not an impossibility but still kind of silly that it is so blanket address wise indefinitely.

Usually you make logical posts Rroff but we disagree on this one, the limits are a good thing, yes in normal times they would be ridiculous in a free market, but at the moment we have to treat these goods as rations.

Man of Honour
Usually you make logical posts Rroff but we disagree on this one, the limits are a good thing, yes in normal times they would be ridiculous in a free market, but at the moment we have to treat these goods as rations.

Dunno why everyone reads this so binary - limits good yes, but the implementation of them leaves a lot to be desired - it isn't like the only options are no limits or complete blanket limits. There are a lot of people who live in houseshares, etc. especially when I worked in IT it was very common in London, etc. that a lot of the junior IT roles were people living in those kind of setups and so on.

Associate
Given the limitations of the existing systems, its the best they have come up with, which is better then a free for all. Its not perfect, but without it a lot of your average joe would not be able to get even a sniff of a 3xxx series card.

Associate
What boost and temps are people getting with 3080FE? I've been playing Overwatch all evening (I know, not very taxing for 3080), and my GPU is holding around 1875 (+/- 15) with a max peak at 1950, and temp is 73-77C.

Mine was peaking at about 1950 but temps were getting over 80⁰ and i wasn't happy with it.

Undervolted to .875 @ 1905 and occasionally just tips over 70⁰ if I've got the heating on. Normally though it runs at about 65⁰

Tested at higher clocks and didn't see any noticeable difference in FPS in cyberpunk or AC valhalla but see a noticeable increase in heat.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Mine was peaking at about 1950 but temps were getting over 80⁰ and i wasn't happy with it.

Undervolted to .875 @ 1905 and occasionally just tips over 70⁰ if I've got the heating on. Normally though it runs at about 65⁰

Tested at higher clocks and didn't see any noticeable difference in FPS in cyberpunk or AC valhalla but see a noticeable increase in heat.
Thanks for that... think I need to learn about undervolting because a 10C drop would be nice, especially since the fan is exhausting hot air over my RAM.

Associate
Thanks for that... think I need to learn about undervolting because a 10C drop would be nice, especially since the fan is exhausting hot air over my RAM.

I was pretty new to it too. There's a number of youtube vids that show you, its relatively straightforward. I'm using afterburner to do it.

Happy to be corrected by the forum experts if there's a better way but it seems to work for me

Associate
Didn't get any whine that i noticed on my 3070, though i've read the 3080 upwards can have it.

Its luck of the draw on the 80s and up too. Some people get no whine, others get it terribly. Some have luck changing PSU, most dont.
Could also be hearing... some people might not hear the whine as much.

Take the win though :) Whine-less card is nice.

Can't say I can hear anything here, even with Furmark running full tilt. Must be all the wine :)

Edit: Is there a better test / load likely to cause it?
Furmark for me does not create all that much whine. Oddly none of the benchmarks do. (3dmark, Superposition, Heaven, PureRaytracing)
The worst whine I get is on GTA V (which also makes the vrams hottest...not sure related?) and Hitman 2 at various points.
Doom Eternal has it at the menu, and a little in game.

I read that RDR2 causes real bad whine for people, but I dont own that.

PS5 way harder to get than a 3080 I reckon, at least the 3080s dont have queue at the retailer and are during the day at consistent hours.
I found getting a PS5 much easier than 3080.
It looks like the market is getting near-normal. Scalped ones seem to only go for £500-600 now. So not much over RRP.
Dunno why everyone reads this so binary - limits good yes, but the implementation of them leaves a lot to be desired - it isn't like the only options are no limits or complete blanket limits. There are a lot of people who live in houseshares, etc. especially when I worked in IT it was very common in London, etc. that a lot of the junior IT roles were people living in those kind of setups and so on.
How could they account for house shares? Even IF manually vetting every oder?
Whats to stop me odering 5x cards to my house but using Jim, Joe, Jack and Jill as the names next time? They going to interview each person?
The system isnt perfect, but its a dam sight better than what any other retailer seems to be doing. (ie nothing.)

Back
Top Bottom