• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
The latest version of Argus monitor now tracks junction temp and hot spot temp as well as core temp. I've now got my case fans running on 3 curves depending on gpu core temp, junction temp and cpu temp. This is handy for me as sometimes I'm gaming and sometimes rendering on the cpu, gpu or both. I can be hammering the cpu or gpu while the other is more or less idle and now the case fans ramp depending which of the three selected temps is highest.

A2B

A2B

Associate
The latest version of Argus monitor now tracks junction temp and hot spot temp as well as core temp. I've now got my case fans running on 3 curves depending on gpu core temp, junction temp and cpu temp. This is handy for me as sometimes I'm gaming and sometimes rendering on the cpu, gpu or both. I can be hammering the cpu or gpu while the other is more or less idle and now the case fans ramp depending which of the three selected temps is highest.

I find fans make almost no difference to mem temp on my 3080FE when mining. will probably repad if I can get over losing the warranty.

Associate
I find fans make almost no difference to mem temp on my 3080FE when mining. will probably repad if I can get over losing the warranty.
I wouldn`t worry about the warranty, taking these apart is a breeze, Mine is in a EK water block now. If you`re worried about RMA have a read here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...0fe-rear-cap-with-a-cracking-ending.18923544/ A good ending where common sense prevailed despite speculation he was screwed before he started the RMA.

I think it would only be a problem if you damaged your card during the process, a lot of people have done it already just google for the best pad thickness as I believe some have gone up 0.5mm than first thought and got better results.

A2B

A2B

Associate
I wouldn`t worry about the warranty, taking these apart is a breeze, Mine is in a EK water block now. If you`re worried about RMA have a read here https://www.overclockers.co.uk/foru...0fe-rear-cap-with-a-cracking-ending.18923544/ A good ending where common sense prevailed despite speculation he was screwed before he started the RMA.

I think it would only be a problem if you damaged your card during the process, a lot of people have done it already just google for the best pad thickness as I believe some have gone up 0.5mm than first thought and got better results.

Actually that was my hunch all along, but it's a gamble. There have been many stories where Nvidia reps appear to confirm just opening the card voids warranty. But also most reps read from generic scripts these days and don't really have a clue what happens on the ground. I would hope that if you did a good job, they would still honour the warranty. so good to see that works for some.

Associate
Actually that was my hunch all along, but it's a gamble. There have been many stories where Nvidia reps appear to confirm just opening the card voids warranty. But also most reps read from generic scripts these days and don't really have a clue what happens on the ground. I would hope that if you did a good job, they would still honour the warranty. so good to see that works for some.
Lot of hot air about void warranties. IE, lots of cases where an agent has apparently said taking back off voids the warranty. But from what I have seen, these have always been in response to being asked directly. I have yet to read of a case where a card has arrived for RMA, and then rejected as the vendor found the pads had been changed.

A2B

A2B

Associate
Lot of hot air about void warranties. IE, lots of cases where an agent has apparently said taking back off voids the warranty. But from what I have seen, these have always been in response to being asked directly. I have yet to read of a case where a card has arrived for RMA, and then rejected as the vendor found the pads had been changed.

sounds right, thanks. I already have 1.5mm and 0.5mm Odyssey pads on the way from AliExpress (cheapest 120x120 I found but slow shipping):

Thermalright EXTREME ODYSSEY Thermal Pad For Video Memory,RAM,South,North Bridge 12.8W/mk 120x20mm 1.0mm/1.5mm/2.0mm/2.5mm/3.0mm|Fluid DIY Cooling| - AliExpress

Last edited:

A2B

A2B

Associate
that's annoying but I can see why they don't wanna act yet. Wait a while, hopefully it gets worse soon (or better).

Associate
that's annoying but I can see why they don't wanna act yet. Wait a while, hopefully it gets worse soon (or better).

You just made me look at mine, it's 'wobbling' just as bad. Not much play in the bearing though, so I'm not sure what it is? I can't feel any excessive vibration either, I'm now wondering if it did this when new.

If you slowly spin it with your finger the height of the fan edge changes relative to the case, it's almost as if its thickness changes.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, it's a strange one. It was running smoothly until I noticed it a couple of days ago. I checked my bearing too, and it seems solid. Thankfully it's not rubbing on anything at the moment. I'll just keep.an eye on it and once it starts clipping the cooler it's going back!

Associate
Both my 80fe and 90fe top fan looked like that.
Only at lower speeds mind, once it speeds up it seemed to steady.

I have no point of reference for a fan mounted like this.

Unless it starts making a noise, I wouldnt worry. Even if they approved an RMA for that... the replacement will likely do it too.

Associate
My 3090fe top fan has developed a bit of a drunken wobble. Anyone experienced this issue and know of a fix? I can imagine it will only get worse over time before failing. Video below. Play on 0.25x speed and it looks like someone doing the hula

https://youtube.com/shorts/vtg_t6vLJZs?feature=share

I've tried opening a case with that other place for RMA. Guy is like, "nah looks fine to me"

Go direct to Nvidia on their web chat, they'll accept the RMA, will be shipped to Hong Kong and a NEW Replacement will be shipped back within 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Associate
sounds right, thanks. I already have 1.5mm and 0.5mm Odyssey pads on the way from AliExpress (cheapest 120x120 I found but slow shipping):

Thermalright EXTREME ODYSSEY Thermal Pad For Video Memory,RAM,South,North Bridge 12.8W/mk 120x20mm 1.0mm/1.5mm/2.0mm/2.5mm/3.0mm|Fluid DIY Cooling| - AliExpress

If you`re going to do it then run the Heaven benchmark for around 30 minutes to get everything nice and toasty, it then takes very little effort to separate the front and back plates from the PCB.
There is a guy in the watercooling section that posted this video of his teardown https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqV67U5trdU
Well worth watching, theer are others too on Igors labs and GN.

A2B

A2B

Associate
If you`re going to do it then run the Heaven benchmark for around 30 minutes to get everything nice and toasty, it then takes very little effort to separate the front and back plates from the PCB.

thanks, I researched all that and ordered the pads a while ago (I do repair work all the time so no biggie), but still wasn't sure if I was gonna risk warranty when they come in. but f it, will be fine. warming it up though is a good tip.

Soldato

I have not tried the thermal right pads, but I ran into issues with the Gelid Ultimates:
3080 FE Thermal pad mod: Don't use Gelid Ultimate 2mm pads. | Overclockers UK Forums

2mm pads need to compress a bit and 1.5mm doesn't make good contact. The conductivity specs on the thermalright pads look identical to the softer Geild "extreme" pads I ordered after discovering the "ultimate" 15w pads were too stiff. They could be the same pads rebranded, but I never actually tried the Thermalright pads.

If you have GPU temp issues, it could be that the pads are too stiff.

Back
Top Bottom