1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

35 dead in Istanbul nightclub shooting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Flibster, 1 Jan 2017.

1. Caged

Capodecina

Psst, hey, Chris.

Not every thread is about the EU.

Happy New Year.

2. Mynight

Soldato

What a waste of life :(.

Hope they catch whoever did this.

3. Chris Wilson

Soldato

<LOL> Happy New Year to you too, Caged, have a healthy and prosperous one :)

4. StriderX

Caporegime

Going to be interesting to see how the US deals with its Ally Turkey attacking a minority Ally Kurdish, probably nothing will be done even if it is literally genocide, cause Turkey is too important.

5. SPG

Soldato

Turkey is a mess.

The current leaders are taking the country back to the dark ages, its at least 3/4 generations of becoming progressive again.

Never really enjoyed the place, on the two mis-forturnes I had to visit one of them was when it was meant to be a nice place.

6. megakid

Wise Guy

I've been to that club in summer 2014. Scary... RIP to all the victims

7. Meridian

Man of Honour

Exactly. The Kurds are occasionally useful, particularly in fighting Islamists, but a lot less useful than a Turkish government on board with NATO. However, if Erdoğan cosies up to Russia too much then all bets are off. However, I think Erdoğan making friends with Putin is more about putting pressure on the US ("if you don't give me what I want, then I know who will") than actually siding with Russia.

That said, I really don't think this is a PKK attack. The government over there will blame it on them them, but this strikes me as an Islamic State thing. But Erdoğan will still use it as an excuse to go after his internal opposition.