360 + MCE = Web browser :)

Soldato
so i dont need anything special?? A mate can get it for me cheap if needs be but i wasnt sure. Hows the program lauched? I always thought u need the remote to access that part of it?

Caporegime
You could view stuff from the couch with a wireless controller and keyboard. It may be more accessible for people to browse from their TV than from the PC.

Soldato
tried a few of these myself last night, the ebay one would be nice but you have to enable activ x, dont really want to open that up to be honest.

coudnt find the browser one, thanks for the link, will try that one tonight

Soldato
Never officially I'd say as it would show up MCE for the crippled software it is.

Thats why the big black brick will keep its place under my plasma, alongside its slimmer and more powerful sibling :D

Caporegime
Sagalout said:
Never officially I'd say as it would show up MCE for the crippled software it is.

Thats why the big black brick will keep its place under my plasma, alongside its slimmer and more powerful sibling :D

It was rhetorical :p

Associate
Does the plugin allow you to actually browse properly?

I had a method to create shorcuts, and the websites loaded on the 360 but you couldnt exactly browse coz there was no mouse, you could type tho, only in google cause you default to the search box... but then you cant click on search results?

Any info?

Soldato
hah, yeah sorry.

I just find it strange/amusing when people find the 360 MCE functionality to be impressive, when the old xbox offerred something so much better years ago. People are allowing themselves to be impressed my MS who are very deliberatly drip feeding them with limited functionality. IF MS had the inclanation they could easily produce something as good as XBMC for the 360 but because it would hurt sales in their software market they cripple their own hardware.

Caporegime
gram333 said:
Does the plugin allow you to actually browse properly?

I had a method to create shorcuts, and the websites loaded on the 360 but you couldnt exactly browse coz there was no mouse, you could type tho, only in google cause you default to the search box... but then you cant click on search results?

Any info?

I would imaging you use the 'tab' key to move to the address bar/links and then use enter to submit.

Caporegime
Sagalout said:
hah, yeah sorry.

I just find it strange/amusing when people find the 360 MCE functionality to be impressive, when the old xbox offerred something so much better years ago. People are allowing themselves to be impressed my MS who are very deliberatly drip feeding them with limited functionality. IF MS had the inclanation they could easily produce something as good as XBMC for the 360 but because it would hurt sales in their software market they cripple their own hardware.

You cannot compare the 360 with the XBMC as the XBMC was not an official addition! You can only compare the 360 with a stock Xbox, and in those terms it is very impressive.

Associate
NokkonWud said:
I would imaging you use the 'tab' key to move to the address bar/links and then use enter to submit.

yeah but on the 360, the keyboard is only active wehn the onscreen keyboard is up, so you cant exactly tab?

Soldato
NokkonWud said:
You cannot compare the 360 with the XBMC as the XBMC was not an official addition! You can only compare the 360 with a stock Xbox, and in those terms it is very impressive.

Yes, I agree, but its still the case that Microsoft are very deliberately supressing its development because it conflicts with their PC software division. Internal politics are giving the consumer an inferior product and I bet that the 360 developerss must be furious that they arent allowed to let an otherwise great piece of kit reach its potential as a media center.

Back
Top Bottom