1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

360 Vs. PS3 Update Size

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by P-man, 9 Sep 2009.

1. P-man

Associate

Why are PS3 game updates almost always massive in MB's?

Whenever I fire a new 360 game up, if it has an update the bar fills the screen in literally seconds and its done...

Different story on my PS3, fired up Motorstorm: Pacific Rift and its got a 608MB update. Quite frankly, its insulting.

It was a similar story with GT5: Prologue, with not just large updates, but many of them.

2. Robert1986

Capodecina

Buy a Wii.

3. wwwebber

Wise Guy

All I can say is that you must have a very low "insult" threshold :rolleyes:

4. Red Porsche

Wise Guy

Its because ps3 games are so bad they need massive patches.

Ive wondered that myself.

God knows what you'd do if someone actually insulted you xD.

5. Robert1986

Capodecina

He'd probably post about it on the internet.

6. P-man

Associate

Just a figure of speech, well in my book anyway :p

7. Robert1986

Capodecina

Did you ever take into consideration as to what the updates actually were?

8. TriedandTested

Capodecina

I agree. I downloaded a game off the store. Tried to play it and the update was bigger than the original game size! Why don't they just put the latest (patched) version on the store?!

9. P-man

Associate

Would just be interesting to see if anyone else who has both consoles and has tried the same games on both has noticed a difference in update size.

10. Streeteh

Capodecina

Little or no difference between multiplats afaik. You tend to find PS3 exclusive games often get new content in their patches, for example buzz had a 400mb patch which i then found had new characters in it. On the multiplat front a good example would be street fighter where the file sizes of the championship patch for each console was within 10mb of eachother.

11. Robert1986

Capodecina

This is the 608mb Motorstorm update.

Last edited: 9 Sep 2009
  12. P-man

Associate

That's quite a list! Justifies the size at least.

13. Streeteh

Capodecina

Now when i say this i'm trying very hard to avoid offending people, this is not a fanboy comment as the aforementioned xbox exclusive was not programmed by microsoft in any way and the studio that made it are notorious for leaving games unfixed but here we go....

Fable 2. Dear god that game was buggy, i've just played it through and over a year after release there are still several massive bugs to watch out for. For example i had to redo an entire quest (a long one at that) because the guy at the end of it outside the crucible wouldn't talk to me. Add to that several other bugs such as my character getting stuck in some form of default pose like you see in developer videos (arms out at length, legs straight down) twice, which required a restart of the game and several other niggles and i knew i was playing a lionhead game.

Would i rather have a several hundred MB patch to fix those things? Of course.

Again i'm not saying that it's anything to do with either console, it's more the fact that i like to see big patches that make major alterations to the game (for the better). I mean look at Killzone 2, the control scheme for that game was overhauled three times just to appease the fanbase and all sorts of other alterations and balance fixes have been applied over the past few months.

14. Teaf

Sgarrista

Guess it depends on what's broken / wrong with the game. Maybe the item they need to update is such a large file and they can't patch it with a small file size, so they need to send you the full file - 600~ MB is rather large though.

15. antijoke

Caporegime

Nothing to do with update size, but I have noticed that demo sizes tend to differ considerably. I downloaded one demo for both consoles and there was about 500mb difference.

(With the PS3 demo being bigger).

16. Robert1986

Capodecina

What did you think a 608mb update was?

17. P-man

Associate

Erm, a large 'update', as in bugs fixed, extra features, the usual...

Any other useless comments?

18. Robert1986

Capodecina

You started this thread comparing update sizes without saying what the updates actually were. This thread is flawed as you only mentioned exclusive game updates. If a update for a mutli-plat game was much larger on the ps3 than the 360, then you'd have a valid reason to complain.

:/

19. Shamikebab

Capo Crimine

But then I played through the entire game, most of the side quests and haven't encountered a single bug or crash :p

20. Red Porsche

Wise Guy

How on earth does that update list require 608mb! It sounds like just bug fixes 0.o.

As a 360 owner i really do wish more games were patched as consciously as killzone 2. Spose gears was but the patchess just made it worse :p.

Publishers really need to spend more time testing their games. Ive played games where they could have been optimized a bit better or even basic bugs that ruin the game. Just baffles me really. Greedy ********.