360 Vs. PS3 Update Size

Associate
I agree. I downloaded a game off the store. Tried to play it and the update was bigger than the original game size! Why don't they just put the latest (patched) version on the store?!

the above.

also, i've yet to download a game or demo that has not then needed an update and as above, if a game or demo has an update why the hell do they not replace those available with the latest versions?

at least the downloads auto install now, although i'm at a loss to understand why games need to be installed after a download. no need for that on 360.

Soldato
the above.

also, i've yet to download a game or demo that has not then needed an update and as above, if a game or demo has an update why the hell do they not replace those available with the latest versions?

at least the downloads auto install now, although i'm at a loss to understand why games need to be installed after a download. no need for that on 360.

360 installs as it downloads.

Soldato
To be fair to the OP I have never had a single 360 game take longer than a minute to update but have had about 4-5 PS3 games make me wait 30-45 minutes to patch before they would even allow me to play single player

Soldato
If you check out my gamertag you will see I have played a decent amount of games on my 360 (75 to be precise) and never had to wait longer than 1 minute for it to patch up,

On my ps3 on the other hand I have had multiple games not allow me to play because of patches, The main ones that stick in my mind are pain, killzone and motorstorm, Exclusives I know but why is it that exclusive 360 games don't require 45 minute waits to get in game?

*edit* I will say though that I may have only bad experiences with PS3 patching as I only tend to use it for exclusives, my 360 does the main amount of gaming.

Caporegime
Name the names of these games so we can investigate.

If he has slow broadband, or is with Virgin Media, then it is quite possible that he has had to wait that long.

SSF2HD:Remix was an annoyance for me. Had to redownload the game after a PS3 restore. 300ish MB. Downloaded and then loaded up to be presented with an exactly same sized patch. Took me about 5 minutes on fast broadband (15MBit ish). I am sure a lot of people have broadband that syncs/downlaods at only 4MBish.

rp2000

Caporegime
I've mentioned two so far.

Resistance 2 - 300 or 600MB
Call of Duty WAW - 600MB
Need for Speed ProStreet - 1.7GB

sizes are approximate as I don't know them off the top of my head.

Soldato
With the speed of the Internet being what it is today I don't generally see this as a problem. At least they fix and add stuff.

If you just want a quick game of single player you can always disconnect before launching the game!

Caporegime
Virgin Media gets crap speeds off the PSN to begin with. The you have the Subscriber Traffic Management policy kicking you whilst you're down. Took me about 5 and a half hours to get WipEout HD (940MB) of a VM 2mb cable connection.

Erm, I have no issues with the PSN and I'm on Virgin. Demos/Updates download really quickly, I downloaded the Batman demo in 20 odd minutes.

Soldato
Virgin Media gets crap speeds off the PSN to begin with. The you have the Subscriber Traffic Management policy kicking you whilst you're down. Took me about 5 and a half hours to get WipEout HD (940MB) of a VM 2mb cable connection.

Im also on virgin media, I have a 20mb connection and have no problems with speed when using PSN. Game updates only take a few mins and demos etc download as quick as my xbox on live.

Associate
Erm, I have no issues with the PSN and I'm on Virgin. Demos/Updates download really quickly, I downloaded the Batman demo in 20 odd minutes.

Im also on virgin media, I have a 20mb connection and have no problems with speed when using PSN. Game updates only take a few mins and demos etc download as quick as my xbox on live.

That's news to me. I take it your UBR isn't over subscribed?

Soldato
I have to say (and I'm not a fanboy in the slightest), that since buying my PS3, I do get somewhat irritated with the updates and installing, etc. I had a friend over just after I bought it and we wanted to play some Resistance 2 online or Killzone 2 online, fired up Resistance only to be greeted with the message that I'll have to wait thirty minutes to update. It's not really what you want to hear when you want to chill out and play a video games console... That that I wish to imply the 360 is better (everyone has their preferences) but every time I've ever fired up the 360 I've been playing within a minute or so, regardless of whether I've had to update. It's just not a very enjoyable part of the experience when you have to spend so much time out of the game.

Like I said though, each to their own. :p

Soldato
I always get 20mb all of the time, When i was on BT it would fluctuate like mad at different times of the day. With Virgin its a rocksteady 20mb whatever time of the day. Only problem i have encountered is if i download more than 2gb before 9pm i get capped to 2mb for 5 hours...

Soldato
I always get the full 20mbit now on my VM connection, but definately in the past there were serious issues.

I don't mind large patches as long as their adding worth while content - but it is frustrating being forced to download patches that contain DLC I've no intention of purchasing (like in Burnout). I wonder if they do this so everyone can still play togeather online? Or maybe it's a way of getting round PS Store bandwidth costs. I seem to remember reading developers are charged per mb on content they release to the PS Store, maybe patches arn't charged in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom