360 Vs. PS3 Update Size

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Last time I got annoyed with the large patch thing was playing Burnout Paradise.

Turned it on.. 800MB? It did add bikes and a lot of additional content but it still took a few hours for me to download it on a pityful 2MB connection and to top it off it's not allowed to background download, so I just had to do something else :(

Soldato
PS3 does have terrible patching problems. If you havent played a game in a while then you should boot it up with the view to do something else as you could be sitting there for a while watching it patch the heck out of itself. As said if you could do it in the background it wouldn't be so bad.

I think the worst PS3 patch I ever saw was for eye of judgement.I thought it was a joke fora while it took about 2 hours or so,with about a hundred or so patches..

Soldato
ps3 bioshock was annoying for me loadsa drive space, took forever to download, and then took ages to apply and install....put me offa it unfortunatley and didnt play it properly.

will try again soon tho with it

Tell me about it... that games a nightmare to get up and running in terms of waiting for updates.

not only does it tell you that is needs to download a 204MB update before it starts to install, then when you think the game is loading, it slaps a huge notice on the screen saying 'installing Bioshock - Please wait...' and this takes ages......

Thankfully, that game is well worth the wait. Otherwise I'd be pretty hacked off otherwise.... Half hour to start playing a new console game is a tad much...

What happened to the good old days of turn your console on, slap a game in, and off you go..!! lol

Actually, its just progress, games are so complex that patches and updates are now part of gaming, I don't mind as mostly its just a one time install so I'm not too fussed....

Associate
I have noticed (and it may just be a coincidence) that downloads from PSN and updates are a lot quicker since the 3.0 firmware update so whether that had anything to do with it?

My worst patch was Burnout when I bought it from the store - took hours to d/l, a while to install, then god knows how long to download the patches and install them.. In the end I left it overnight.

I really hope they can implement something that will d/l larger patches in the background, letting you play the game - that way when its finished d/l, you get a notification, press the ps button and choose to install it, or it installs the next time you start the game... can't be that hard surely? It is frustrating turning it on for a quick blast and having to wait 20-30 mins + to play the game...

Soldato
How on earth does that update list require 608mb! It sounds like just bug fixes 0.o.

As a 360 owner i really do wish more games were patched as consciously as killzone 2. Spose gears was but the patchess just made it worse :p.

Publishers really need to spend more time testing their games. Ive played games where they could have been optimized a bit better or even basic bugs that ruin the game. Just baffles me really. Greedy ********.

I used to have a 360 and as far as I'm aware some 360s don't have hard drives so where would they store a 600MB patch?

I hate the PS3 for patches and also installing the game on your HD I have a 40GB and it's been full quite a few times where I've had to uninstall the game data just so I could play another game. I've also had the error where the HD had no space left to download the patch. I've also had the case where the patch took 40minutes to download after me just wanting to play. Why can't they include an option saying
"this game needs patch wanna do it now or later (warning not patching means no access to live services)"

Soldato
If you check out my gamertag you will see I have played a decent amount of games on my 360 (75 to be precise) and never had to wait longer than 1 minute for it to patch up,

On my ps3 on the other hand I have had multiple games not allow me to play because of patches, The main ones that stick in my mind are pain, killzone and motorstorm, Exclusives I know but why is it that exclusive 360 games don't require 45 minute waits to get in game?

*edit* I will say though that I may have only bad experiences with PS3 patching as I only tend to use it for exclusives, my 360 does the main amount of gaming.

I do have virgin media but so do millions of other people,

I also manage to get speeds of 2.4MB/s from steam, download 400MB files in minutes from xbox live, I even get wii virtual console games in seconds but as soon as I use the PSN it makes me wait 30 mins for a relatively small file (200MB), something isn't right there

Last time I got annoyed with the large patch thing was playing Burnout Paradise.

Turned it on.. 800MB? It did add bikes and a lot of additional content but it still took a few hours for me to download it on a pityful 2MB connection and to top it off it's not allowed to background download, so I just had to do something else :(

Thats your consoles way of saying "Not tonight dear, I have a headache"
:D

Soldato

I also manage to get speeds of 2.4MB/s from steam, download 400MB files in minutes from xbox live, I even get wii virtual console games in seconds but as soon as I use the PSN it makes me wait 30 mins for a relatively small file (200MB), something isn't right there

Are you using wireless on the PS3? If so that could be the reason why its slower, my wireless maxes out at about 500kb/s where as when connected by cable it will go at the full speed of my connection.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Are you using wireless on the PS3? If so that could be the reason why its slower, my wireless maxes out at about 500kb/s where as when connected by cable it will go at the full speed of my connection.

Something is wrong with your wireless ;)

Caporegime

LOADS of people on here with PS3s have the same issue, who also have Virgin Media as their ISP. It is some issue with one of the routers, set-top boxes or routing issues to PSN, but it is an issue. This is why I mentioned them, specifically.

One guy here had his set-top box/cable modem changed and that fixed the problem, which implies the problem was with Virgin Media or their equipment/routing.

rp2000

Soldato
LOADS of people on here with PS3s have the same issue, who also have Virgin Media as their ISP. It is some issue with one of the routers, set-top boxes or routing issues to PSN, but it is an issue. This is why I mentioned them, specifically.

One guy here had his set-top box/cable modem changed and that fixed the problem, which implies the problem was with Virgin Media or their equipment/routing.

rp2000

Ooh, haven't heard of this before, I have tried the PS3 plugged directly into the modem before to rule out the router / wireless and still had the problem so it could be the modem.

Back
Top Bottom