• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600X @ 65W Woes

Associate
Is this an issue or normal behaviour?
I have an AMD 3600X on a Asus B450E (latest BIOS) motherboard and using AMD Ryzen Master to monitor the CPU. My question is; no matter what Ryzen Master shows CPU power no more than 67.01W but I thought the CPU was a 95W part? It never really gets above 4.2Ghz (unless I manually OC, but power consumption is the same). I have tried both AMD power plans, AMD Balanced and High Performance. But for some weird reason, I get better performance on balanced. I have tried manually setting everything on the CPU and also tried disabling PBO, but the wattage remains the same. One other thing that I noticed, is the voltage, if I leave everything on auto in the BIOS, running CBR15 the voltage hits 1.45 to 1.5 and this doesn't drop below that the entire time CB is running. I have set this manually now, because that scared me.
For cooling, I'm using an open loop and my temps never exceed 69C after running CB multiple times. Will hit 72C when stress testing.
I have added screenshots of Ryzen Master under load and CBr15 results
Ryzen Master
Cinebench

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea if I have done something wrong, this is normal behaviour, or the hradware is possibly faulty.

Associate
OP
Soldato
I don't use RyzenMaster. However Assuming the CPU power and SOC power need to be added together it is hitting the 88W boost cap that 65W chips have.

However as you've identified this is a 95W and should attempt to boost higher if temps are okay. In fact you can see the PPT limit of 128W.

I recommend using hwinfo64 for a more detailed breakdown.

That makes complete sense, I guess I got a bit of a dud when it comes to the silicon lottery too, as my daughters 3600 does way better than my X. :p

She can get 4.35Ghz @ 1.3v all core OC and I can't get past 4.25GHz @ 1.35v

You talking about PBO or manual overclocking here? Have you checked to see what you can get at 1.4v and above? If you have temp headroom and evidently happy that it is well below the 95W TDP, then why not.

One of my machines with a 2700 for example I have running at 150W for Prime95 AVX loads.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom