3700 san diego overclocking

Associate
yeah, that's what i thought at first.
then ran prime 95 for 24 hours with no problems so decided the cpu was not a problem, next i used the cpu divider and took it down to 1:2 . ... so that was the memory out of the equation.

i then changed the graphics card for an mx440 ... and the problem stopped !
i know hte mx440 doesn't suport all the functions of 2001, BUT my 6800 ALWAYS crashed at the same point ( about 10 sec, in ..... just after the buggy passes a lamp post and the camara angle changes for the third time ! )

I know it's strange BUT my standard chip heatsink blows the exhaust air straight out on to the back of the vga card. and i do notic a 10c temp change in the BACK of the vga card alone.

anyway ....

put the 6800 back in .... and lowered the clock setting to "safe mode" ... and all works fine ! .......

have ordered a zalman fatal1ty fs - v7 gpu cooler kit ... and i'll see what differeance that makes to the card and the system . :)

Associate
wow, thought you were using water cooling or something !
think i've maxed out on my standard HSF
i'm at HT clock 255, HT4, volt at 1.475volts with mem divider @ 166.

I haven't messed about with the memory O/c yet will try that soon ....
will see how prime stable ithe cpu is over the next 24 hours ....

Associate
I'm currently running the rig in my sig, brief summary: -

3700+ SD on Asus A8N-SLI Premium
2x512mb OCZ PC3200 RAM

currently overclocking (stable) with a 1:1 ratio of 258x11 = 2838MHz (VCORE at 2.42v)

Can't get it above this stable, but I think that's my memory and the CPU is willing to go further. It happily boots at 265 x 11 = 2915 MHz but something makes this Prime Unstable. All of this is with a VDIMM of 2.8 (max for this RAM, it will error above this) and a VCORE of 1.45v.

Unfortunately i know nothing about dividers or where to find it in my BIOS, so not really sure where to go from here.....

EDIT: As a note, this is air cooled by thermalright SI-120 & Vantec Stealth 120mm fan - max load temps are approx 45 and idle about 36

EDIT2: Hmmm, found the divider setting, but even with VCORE of 1.5 (large increase on what i was using) and a 333 divider (reducing DRAM speed to untroublesome levels) - I could not get the CPU stable at 270... it would boot, but aquamark 3 would cause hard restarts and BSODs. It was also giving me "crackly" sound, which seems to be a trademark of onboard sound when you push your FSB too far.

Looks like 258*11 @ 1:1 is about as good as it's going to get for me :)

Last edited:
Associate
wow. that's a good o'c.
i haven't messed with my memory too much yet. and am still waiting for a decent cooler for my vga card. ... would like to push the memory, but don't think i'll get it anywhere close to what you've got.
was gonna change my Bois to an unofical version; to get a better memory divider ( they do 186, and 192Mhz in some unoffical bois versions. )

will see how it all goes in the next few days ......

Associate
blade148 said:
wow, thought you were using water cooling or something !
think i've maxed out on my standard HSF
i'm at HT clock 255, HT4, volt at 1.475volts with mem divider @ 166.

I haven't messed about with the memory O/c yet will try that soon ....
will see how prime stable ithe cpu is over the next 24 hours ....

Your ht is at 4x. Try putting it at 3x once you go past 250. If you have move volts to chipset and ldt then you may be able to run at 4x at 255.

Associate
sagramore said:

2x512mb OCZ PC3200 RAM

currently overclocking (stable) with a 1:1 ratio of 258x11 = 2838MHz (VCORE at 2.42v)

Can't get it above this stable, but I think that's my memory and the CPU is willing to go further. It happily boots at 265 x 11 = 2915 MHz but something makes this Prime Unstable. All of this is with a VDIMM of 2.8 (max for this RAM, it will error above this) and a VCORE of 1.45v.

Unfortunately i know nothing about dividers or where to find it in my BIOS, so not really sure where to go from here.....

EDIT: As a note, this is air cooled by thermalright SI-120 & Vantec Stealth 120mm fan - max load temps are approx 45 and idle about 36

EDIT2: Hmmm, found the divider setting, but even with VCORE of 1.5 (large increase on what i was using) and a 333 divider (reducing DRAM speed to untroublesome levels) - I could not get the CPU stable at 270... it would boot, but aquamark 3 would cause hard restarts and BSODs. It was also giving me "crackly" sound, which seems to be a trademark of onboard sound when you push your FSB too far.

Looks like 258*11 @ 1:1 is about as good as it's going to get for me :)

Ive found 270 to be max for these boards and for me to run at 270 took a lot of tweaking. Run memtest before booting and check that your memory is stable. I tried to run on a divider but with cpu at anything past 260 x 10 it was unstable even though the memory was stable.

Associate
ted34 said:
Your ht is at 4x. Try putting it at 3x once you go past 250. If you have move volts to chipset and ldt then you may be able to run at 4x at 255.

DOH
knew i fogot something .. !

thanks ... will try that.

and now have my vga cooler .... so will try different cobo's over the next few days. :)

Associate
Hey guys

Another update after another day of messing about :D

I figured I had one of my memory timings on far too tight (the TRFC was on 11 not 22) and after loosening it, wham :D

I'm still running 1:1 (dividers looked messy!) and got the following results so far:

I can boot to windows at 275 * 11 but it's not exceptionally stable, but it was nice to see the chip running above 3GHz. And the memory was at 275 as well, which is nice for PC3200!!

After some testing I'm now running 1:1, 270*10.5
that's 2835MHz CPU, 540MHz DDr on the memory. 2.5-3-3-7, 1T. My HT is at 3x as well.
VCORE is also only at 1.41v, VDIMM at 2.8, so temps are nice and stable.

Am priming as we speak (Blend test to get the RAM moving), but so far so good :)

Definitely looks like a 270 top on these chips / this board, but I'm very impressed with my OCZ memory, that's all I can say!

EDIT: Darn, Prime just died 16 minutes in, i.e. selftest 2 when it began to put pressure on the CPU. So the memory is fine at 270, but looks like the CPU is less so. I'll try giving it a few more volts and see how it fares!

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, i've managed to get my 3700+ to 2600Mhz (260x10), but if i try to go to 270x10 or 250x11 (to get to 2700Mhz), its not prime stable? I have increased the vcore to 1.55v, but this doesn't help... :(

Could it be the memory, i already have it on a low divider, do i need to increase the voltage to the ram? Whats the default voltage for pc3200 memory, and how far can i increase it safely... Also, what ram timings should i use, at the moment i'm using 3-3-3-6...

Thanks in advance for any help... :)

Last edited:
Associate
Sounds like your memory timings are already pretty loose. And if you've got a divider on already then I wouldn't have thought your mem should be posing a problem.
260x10 is still a good overclock mate....

My rig just got 9 hours prime stable (the i accidentally closed it so might run it again for longer tonight/tomorrow :) ) with 270*10.5 = 2835 and memory (using 10.5 multiplier) puts DRAM speed at 258MHz, 2.5-3-3-7.

I'm quite pleased with that :)

Full specs and benchmarks can be found from the "Rig Specs" link in my sig!

Permabanned
sagramore said:

2x512mb OCZ PC3200 RAM

erm? do you mean 1.42V? if not i would love to see what cooling youre using :p

Associate
I just built my first A64 rig yesterday

my 3700 san deago appears to be running hot. 40 oC idle and 50 ish at load

I am using a Scythe Ninja it does not get more than warm.. the CPU temp intermittently jumps every now and then between 30 and 50 when under load and 20 and 40 at idle
I'm not sure if that indicates that the reporting chip is faulty ?

I am using a DFI NF3 ultraD board, cos i bought a x800xtpe AGP at the begining of this year and i cant afford to replace it with a pci-e yet...

I have applied AS5 twice now, so im sure that is ok.

Back
Top Bottom