• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3800 x2 or 4200 x2?

Associate
Righty Oh after much OT from work, I got a spare amount of cash floating about for an upgrade, been wanting to go Dual Core for a while just aint had the money till now I am swaying between these two chips and for the life of me.... I just cant spend that much on a 4400 chip (for the 1mb cache) as much as I would like too.... child, mortgage car.... wife.....

Any suggestions.... I do da lot of AVI to DVD conversion so Multi threading is ideal.... my current CPU is the 3200 Winchester Chip @ 2.2 on air.... anyone care to comment if its worth it and the difference between the 38 and the 42 if any really?

Ta mucho

Vic

Caporegime
The difference is only 200 mhz beween the two.
The 3800 will easily clock to 4200 speeds and 4400 speeds 4600 speeds shouldnt be a problem.

Look at getting an opteron 165 for £230 this comes with 2 mb cache and overclocks to fx 60 speeds!

they are hard to find but you can find them:)

Soldato
PinkFloyd said:
3800 seems to be a pretty much guaranteed 2.5GHz if you put any effort in. Mine can hit 2.5 on only 1.4v, probs could go lower but haven't tried it.
the 4200 is pointless unless you flatly refuse to overclock.

mine took 1.6v to get 2.55ghz out of it

Back
Top Bottom