• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3900x won't idle it's clocks. Stuck on 4ghz +

Associate
Hi guys,

3900x here on an MSI x470 Gaming Pro. All latest bios updates, chipset, windows updates etc. Bios is all totally standard setttings apart from XMP on my ram.

I've noticed that mine is idling around 55c on the wraith rgb cooler. Repasted with noctua nt-h1 and lost about 4c.

I investigated further and it turns out even in windows, my 3900x clocks don't go below around 4ghz at any time, even with task manger saying 2% cpu usage.

Anyway I can solve this to get lower temps?

Thanks

Soldato
Hi guys,

3900x here on an MSI x470 Gaming Pro. All latest bios updates, chipset, windows updates etc. Bios is all totally standard setttings apart from XMP on my ram.

I've noticed that mine is idling around 55c on the wraith rgb cooler. Repasted with noctua nt-h1 and lost about 4c.

I investigated further and it turns out even in windows, my 3900x clocks don't go below around 4ghz at any time, even with task manger saying 2% cpu usage.

Thanks

This is almost certainly a power plan issue. Set the power plan to Ryzen Balanced, you should then see all threads dropping along with vcore.

Associate
I know on the Asus boards that default is to not have the c states enabled so MSI might be the same. Try looking for Global C-state Control and set to Enabled or AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled.

Associate
OP
You said in your OP you were stuck at 4Ghz, not 1.4v vcore, which is it ?
The only reason i can think of to be stuck at 1.4vcore is that you have it set in the bios ?

Vcore is minimum 1.375 that i've obseverd but it's almost always 1.4+ which is probably why it's idling so hot all the time?

I haven't set anything in the bios at all. It's set to defaults and after the last bios update, I reset everything back another time just as a precaution.

Speed wise, every core is always in use, none are being shut off (attributing to the abnormal idle temps?) They all range from 3.8ghz - 4.455ghz.

Soldato
Vcore is minimum 1.375 that i've obseverd but it's almost always 1.4+ which is probably why it's idling so hot all the time?

I haven't set anything in the bios at all. It's set to defaults and after the last bios update, I reset everything back another time just as a precaution.

Speed wise, every core is always in use, none are being shut off (attributing to the abnormal idle temps?) They all range from 3.8ghz - 4.455ghz.

In that case, i think that trying what @GregI suggested would be my next port of call.

Caporegime
Hi guys,

Thanks
Please download and install AMD Ryzen Master Tool.

Set AMD Ryzen Balanced as your Windows Power Profile in Windows Control Pane.

Run the tool with nothing running on your system and show me a screenshot of what you see like mine below.

ADoyUrC.png

Associate
OP
This is on the amd balanced plan. Stock settings and just idling in windows. Seems that HWmonitor was being a bit overzealous with the reports but it's still not right to be idling this high.

Task manager says everything is fine, 2% cpu usuage. Nothing looks out of the ordinary

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is on the amd balanced plan. Stock settings and just idling in windows. Seems that HWmonitor was being a bit overzealous with the reports but it's still not right to be idling this high.

Task manager says everything is fine, 2% cpu usuage. Nothing looks out of the ordinary
Can you post a full screenshot of task manager showing the CPU usage?

Associate
OP
Try resetting motherboard BIOS to default (optimised) settings and check again.

No change. Did notice the bios reporting the cpu temp as 41c and sys temp as 34. Lowest i've seen them. Soon as windows loads with ryzen master, we're back to 51 - 61 idle.

Back
Top Bottom