3D Modeling : Middlesbrough 2105

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Whats the course like? How much is it costing you with loans and living etc? I'm really intrested in doing this or a similar cousre I was looking at Leeds MET myself

Associate
www.tees.ac.uk

they have a large selection of 3D/Games/VR/Programming/Multimedia courses. I'm out of touch of the fees and charges as it's changed a bit in the last few years, but apparently Teesside was one of the best if not the best in the country for this kinda degree/HND/Masters. Teesside also gets a lot of funding, which explains why they always have upto date equipment and brand new massive buildings springing up every year (they are funded so much partly due to Middlesbrough being one of the poorest areas of the country, and because of that they get more funds).

Associate
As for living expensses, i think rent in boro centre is approx 35 quid a week and theres some cheap supermarkets nearby so you can pick up food really cheap. Being a student in boro you can save a lot of money compared to other parts of the UK. (rent may have changed in last few years though, i wouldnt imagine by much like)

Caporegime
OP
Zaf said:
Whats the course like? How much is it costing you with loans and living etc? I'm really intrested in doing this or a similar cousre I was looking at Leeds MET myself

Leeds MET doesn't come close to Teesside for Computing. Teesside is the leading Computing University in Europe. It spends multi-millions on it's Computing department alone. 4 years ago I believe it was 71/75 Universities, last year it was 12/75. It spent £50m on it's department in 2003.
I got a loan of £2,150 per year IIRC, but I live at home, so I would get more living on campus (it would be cheaper for me on campus too :( ).

My course is fantastic, the modules changed this year, I decided to resit 2nd year again (despite passing 1st year) as there was no animation on the Games Design course (there was last year and I never wanted to do it... I'd take the Computer Animation course if I did).

I will probably be texturing it in the future and lighting it better, I may go for a nighttime scene, I am undecided. It won't be used in an animation by myself as I am not an animator. My friends may.

I would be tempted to build it how I wanted it building before the last minute rush aswell.

Last edited:
Associate
be good to see the end result all textured, that parts probably the most fun. :) Make a good portfolio piece having HQ renders printed out.

You could do a flythrough animation, all you need to do is a B-spline or whatever and animate the camera along the spline with the camera's interest animated a frame in front of the camera, so the camera points in the direction of the spline. If your unsure ask one of your animation mates they could knock up the path and camera in minutes, then encode the frames to DivX/Xvid AVI, be good to see that too :)

Caporegime
OP
richard1973 said:
be good to see the end result all textured, that parts probably the most fun. :) Make a good portfolio piece having HQ renders printed out.

You could do a flythrough animation, all you need to do is a B-spline or whatever and animate the camera along the spline with the camera's interest animated a frame in front of the camera, so the camera points in the direction of the spline. If your unsure ask one of your animation mates they could knock up the path and camera in minutes, then encode the frames to DivX/Xvid AVI, be good to see that too :)

Thats a good idea. I have a monorail going around, I may build the monorail train itself and animate a view through the windows. Might be worth a go :).

Associate
yeah good idea, or to cut down workload, have the camera path just above the mono rail track so the camera view looks as if it's looking out the drivers window.

Associate
Wondered if any of you wizards could help me, I got to build a desk and computer in 3ds max, I'm struggling with applying textures, anywhere I can get some for free and some tutorials on how they work?

Associate
i haven't visited 3dcafe for a few years and it looks like they don't do free textures anymore. However if you google the words 'free textures 3d modelling' it brings up a lot of sites, some of these may help.

Though if you have a digital camera it's always better and satisfying creating a model made entirely of your own work. 3D max also takes .jpg it doesn't need to have file type changed like say softimage (unless they have updated these days too).

Soldato
Wow this is some awesome stuff,

I am in the process of learning Blender 2.4 at the moment, it's extremely hard for me to start with, but I am learning and it's such a cool feeling to make models.

I have only done one tutorial and that was of a stickman! and I was grinning from ear to ear when it was finished!

Rich

Caporegime
OP
therubble said:
Wondered if any of you wizards could help me, I got to build a desk and computer in 3ds max, I'm struggling with applying textures, anywhere I can get some for free and some tutorials on how they work?

Press 'M' for the materials guide.
Select square 1 and makes it a multi/sub-object.
In slot 1, select 'Bitmap' and load your texture.
Do this for all required textures (in the sequenced slots)
Select all polygons and add a UVW Map (in Modifier list) and select 'Face'
Select the material ID's from your textures onto polygons.

(check Texture Correction from the view right click menu to see it more detailed pre-render).

Add a skylight for better lighting. (Or used more advanced lights if you can).

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
titchard said:
Wow this is some awesome stuff,

I am in the process of learning Blender 2.4 at the moment, it's extremely hard for me to start with, but I am learning and it's such a cool feeling to make models.

I have only done one tutorial and that was of a stickman! and I was grinning from ear to ear when it was finished!

Rich

If you can master Blender Max and Maya will be a breeze ;)

Back
Top Bottom