3D modelling a DC5

Soldato
There are some freeware 3d modellers - such as (links/descriptions shamelessly stolen from another forum I frequent)

3D Modeling/Animation/etc

Caligari trueSpace 3.2 free full edition
Pretty cool 3D modeling with animation features.

Blender3D
Description taken from their website: "open source software for 3D modeling, animation, rendering, post-production, interactive creation and playback."

Anim80r
Free 3D modeler and animator written by a guy who works at nVidia.

Wings 3D
"Wings 3D is a polygon mesh modeler inspired by Nendo and Mirai from Izware."

Maya Personal edition
Nice, but leaves a massive watermark on rendered images. It still has lots of functionality of the full version though!

GMax
gmax is a free 3D modeling and animation tool based on Discreet's award-winning 3ds max.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I dabble around with 3DS Max myself, but mainly experiment with game models rather than smooth render models:

there is no spoon...

I've never attmepted something as detailed as that DC5, awesome stuff.

I have a smooth render 2006 MX5 model I started but I have run out of post/image room.

Soldato
Nice Dup.

Id be worried that the DC5 wont ever be finished because it'll get so big and complex the computer will reach its limits.
I no nothing about 3D modelling though...

Soldato
OP
You ask the software what sort of quality you want it to render so you can turn off reflections, textures, bump maps etc etc as you work with the model.

Eventually though with everything done and you want the finished article rendered properly - it'll be running overnight.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
A lad over at a popular car modelling forum is creating this:

tomsullivan said:
just a render of the enigne with the turbos in, not sure if there are in the right position yet but they will be around that area.

tomsullivan said:

All this created using these specs:

tomsullivan said:
and my comp is handling it fine, ppl seem to under esstimate *** there comp can do, ive only got a p4 2.6ghz 1.2gig ram and a gf 6600 vid card, its no where near a high end comp

The model is probably over 10 - 15million pollies smoothed. It's amazing what a PC can acutally handle.

ob1

ob1

Associate
I think less ram just means more paging and slower progress. The guy I brought some ram off rendered an entire dragon crawling down a castle wall with only 2gb, he had to optimise it to remove non visible parts in the end he said.

This must be where dual core really does its business, do all those free renders take advantage

Associate
MrSix said:
That's fantastic, the render of the wheels is superb - wonder how long it took to render that model :)

Shouldn't take long, not in Modo 2! Probably less than a couple of minutes on an average machine. It's got a very very fast renderer.

Soldato
OP
DC5_Body_Shell_02-07-06_1.jpg

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom