• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3D Rendering 1080 Ti

Associate
So i've just taken advantage of OCUK and their £150 Ryzen 1700X and now i'm after a graphics card for 3D rendering.

So the 2080 Ti is about to be released, but really, £1100? Nope. So is it worth getting the 1080 Ti, now, wait 2/3 weeks for the 2080 Ti to be released (so the 1080 Ti drops even lower). Or wait until nVidia do their usual thing of releasing a titan 3 months later and dropping the price of the 2080 Ti to £700?

As the title of the thread says, i want it for 3D rendering so i'm after as many cores as i can get for my money.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Associate
OP
Yes your right about the Quadros, but they're silly money. And the 3D work is geared towards game development so i'd want a gaming graphics card for performance testing. Right now i'#m an amateur so perhaps i'll go with something more professional and HEDT in the future. Maybe get the 3080 Ti then?

Associate
OP
@TheRealDeal I'm using 3DS Max but i've only really just started so switching to something else is a possibility. But Blender seems like a backwards step. OCUK are currently doing the Asus ROG Strix Vega 64 at £580 with the MSI GTX 1080 Ti at £600. Looking at that chart comparing Vega 64 performance against the 1080 Ti is striking. To be honest i'd never consider a Radeon card. Ever since nVidia and PhysX the Redeons always seemed out of date, and require a small generator to run.

Soldato
Look again, you can see a Vega 64 for £440 (or 56 for £400). Actually been doing better drivers wise than Nvidia in the past 2 years I'd say, and that's without including Linux where it's a complete slaughter by AMD.

Associate
Can't really answer unless you specific exactly what you're going to doing (rendering images/frames for something or creating models for use in video games). 3dsmax uses both software and hardware renderers but some third party renders only work on specific vendor hardware. The new internal Quicksilver renderer only requires that the card is SM 3.0 compliant. Renderers like Scanline, mental ray and Arnold will use CPU only. Ideally you should first get the best CPU + RAM you can then worry about the GPU as the former is more vital for production work. 32GB+ RAM is a must and the more cores the better.

Associate
You should get an RTX card. The Tensor and RT cores will be a big step up when it comes to 3D rendering compared to last gen cards.

And if RTX is good enough for Pixar it should be good enough for you. :p

Associate
OP
@Rozzy85 You clearly know your apples and oranges. I'm running 64GB of RAM at 3200mhz. I opted to get the 1700X over the last gen Threadripper since i thought it best to throw the money behind the graphics card. I'm new to working with 3DS Max but after some simple tutorials it became clear that my Radeon 7970 couldn't be used with the default renderer and i switched to a GTX 780 Ti so i could take advantage of the Cuda cores.

The plan is to work in 3D towards game development so obviously modelling and 3D scenery rendered in real time through the game engine. But i imagine creating some animated cut scenes once i'm up to speed with the software.

@Las Vega I agree the RTX card seems like the right move. But right now i'm reading that with everything set to max, modern titles that take advantage of the ra ytracing feature, that you'll be lucky to get 50 FPS at 1080p. I don't think i'm at the stage right now to need such power. To me it's like i'm a learner driver and the 2080 TI would be like buying a Lamborghini. Maybe go with the 3080 Ti once i'm more experienced and the Ray Tracing feature is a bit more above par?

Back
Top Bottom