• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3D Vision

Associate
Hi,

Yes there is a 3d crosshair. It works especially good with games you can turn the crosshair off in. Some games like fear 2 you have to play with the 3d vision crosshair and try to ignore the ingame crosshair. It sorta looks like have 3 crosshairs, using the middle to aim with. I know some people will put up with this, but i cant :(
Nvidia do make changes to some game profiles. But from what i gather most of the problems in older games that are still present are because it cant be done. Something to do with how the game engines renders things. Each new 3d driver i remember recently have made changes to a few games each month, but i seem to remember them being recent games like, assassins creed 2 bioshock 2 metro 2033 etc. My memory is hazy.
The good thing is there are some games starting to appear over the last year that display no visual glitches and are stunning in 3d. They are listed as 3d vision ready.
Its worth just trying all your games on it and see what you think is best. My friends all think its awesome, and they all have their favourites for different reasons. GTA 4 which isnt listed as 3d vision ready with shadows turned off, is the game most people seem to be impressed with. With depth at full and a lot of convergence, you can toyificate the look of the visuals, everything on screen looks like a little model village. The other favourite is Just Cause 2 :D everytime!

Phil.

edit* After all that praise i nearly forgot. There is another problem with the tech. The 3d monitors arent quick enough to change fully from black to white and vice versa 120 times a second. So in parts of games, with high contrast scenes eg bright white lights down a dark tunnel, you will see crosstalk. This is a faint ghost image either side of the main bright source your looking at. This is dissapointing at times, but it would still not stop me playing in 3d as even with this quirk it is far superior experience. Some monitors handle it better than others. I have heard the Acer has less crosstalk, but the overall quality of the monitor in 2d, aesthetics and build quality is not on par with the dell/alienware. Both these 24" monitors handle the crosstalk better than the two 22" monitors. Then there is dlp which can display the picture with zero crosstalk. However these projectors are around £500 and are only 1280x720 (although this low resolution it is still extremely impressive to see the 3d that big).

Last edited:
Soldato
Some monitors handle it better than others. I have heard the Acer has less crosstalk, but the overall quality of the monitor in 2d, aesthetics and build quality is not on par with the dell/alienware. Both these 24" monitors handle the crosstalk better than the two 22" monitors.

Having had the Samsung 2233RZ and now owning the Acer GD245HQ I can confirm the ghosting is much less of an issue on the Acer. On most games it's barely noticeable at all now.

As for build quality and 2d, I have to say I am impressed with the Acer, it's much better than I expected :)

Associate
I suppose once the limits of LCD monitors are reached, we can hope for OLED monitors start becoming cheaper :p
Imagine having a 24" 3D OLED monitor, less than 2mm thick and it does 3D. With a quicker response time and improved efficiency.

Associate
OP
Cheers for all the input Phil its really quite helpful and bad in a way as you are not really swaying me away from it and i think im getting the upgrade bug :p Coupe having owned both the Sammy and Acer would you say the price hike between the two is worth it?

Associate
Cheers for all the input Phil its really quite helpful and bad in a way as you are not really swaying me away from it and i think im getting the upgrade bug :p Coupe having owned both the Sammy and Acer would you say the price hike between the two is worth it?

Having had the Samsung and now the Acer, the Acer is miles better. dont get the Samsung get the Acer :)

Man of Honour
While the effect is great, most games are far more practical with "2D" IMO theres only a few games I'd want to play every day in 3D and most of these are racing titles.

My overclocked GTX260 SLI setup is approx. ballpark GTX480 performance and while thats fine for 1680x1050 in 3D Vision at 1920x resolutions you will probably want a bit more horsepower especially in the latest titles. GTX470 SLI may be a good option as I'm assuming due to the way 3D Vision works you'd get good scaling with AFR - but don't take my word for it.

Soldato
3D worked perfectly on my old 275.
My 470 plays it even better.
I wouldn't trade it in, not at all. Its the best upgrade I have ever made.
I can guarantee you would like it, just go for it.

What's the worst case scenario? If you dont like it you can sell it on & wont lose much on it...
Oh & you'll need a minimum of 4Gb ram, at max settings most modern games will stutter badly with only 2Gb ;)

Back
Top Bottom