4.1 is live

Caporegime
I'm just updating now, hopefully I'll get a big speed improvement on my 3G as certain apps at the moment are virtually unusable and sending a text is a chore.

Caporegime
You most certainly should, people are reporting huge improvements.

Good stuff. I'm hoping that the Last.fm app works better, at the moment it's virtually unusable and often refuses to load at all, also texts take an age to type out as well, I have to sit and wait for the thing to catch up with what I've pressed, really frustrating. It's just updated so I'll give it a bit of use over the weekend and see how things go.

I just watched the keynote and that new iPod Nano looks awesome! :D

Caporegime
Anybody still missing games ? Flight control is avaiable in the "game center games" section of the app store and my version is fully up to date but it's not visible in game center. Even says in the app description it's now been updated to support it.

Soldato
Play the game for a bit and that should 'register' it in games center.
Had the same thing with Real Racing after the update. Played it, a little game station banner popped up in the game saying welcome back Kawolski, looked in game center and it was there.

Soldato
3G is definitely faster – biggest test for me was the TomTom app which was almost unusable on 4.0. It's still not lightning quick but it's leaps-and-bounds over 4.0.

Soldato
Been running for a few days on the 3G with 4.1. It is a brilliant improvement and the phone is actually useable again.

This! Updated yesterday and my 3G is just so much smoother when typing. Generally doing anything with it is faster now.

What were they playing at with 4.0?! Did they even test it on the 3G?

Caporegime
hmm still no jail break for this?

Nope but ive heard its pretty soon that they will have one.

http://www.tipb.com/2010/09/09/ios-41-jailbreak/

Several tweets this morning are indicating that a jailbreak for iOS 4.1 could come sooner rather than later. Could there be any better news you ask? Why yes! Jailbreaker @pod2g as well as other sources are indicating that this “particular” exploit would require Apple to flash to a whole new bootrom in order to fix it.

What does this mean for jailbreakers? It means they run less of a risk of accidental updates and what-not being so catastrophic. Apple can’t fix this exploit by simply issuing a software update. It would require a flashed version of the bootrom out of the factory. We may eventually see new iPhone 4s shipped with newer bootroms but any older ones would remain jailbreakable, regardless of any software update Apple may issue.

So if you’re like me and lost your jailbreak for 4.1 (darn prox sensor!), you’ll soon be able to have jailbreak goodness back again. How many of you still plan on jailbreaking and how many of you think iOS 4.x gave you what you needed? For me, notification systems are still a valid reason to jailbreak. What about you?

Update: A source BGR was in contact with has now stated that a flashed bootrom would not be sufficient. A whole new processor revision would be necessary. Jailbreakers rejoice!

Associate
I'm still on 3.1.2 on my 3G. Is it worth upgrading? 3.1.2 is slow enough as it is. Any news on an unlock as I need to keep the phone on a different network to o2.

O2 let you unlock anyway. £15 for pay and go iPhone, free for contract customers.

4.1 is faster but it's no 3.1.2.

Associate
Finally got around to updating and now it keeps getting stuck on restore after the original update crashed.

I've done the hold power+home button thing but the restore keeps getting stuck in the same place...
...any ideas?

Update: I think I've managed to sort it, removed the update file and let it download again. Almost finished restoring now *fingers crossed*

Update2: Fully restored and backed-up but only 1 of my puchased apps are here, going to have to redownload the lot :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom