4 Dimms won't boot with XMP, B450, r5 3600

Soldato
I'm currently stuck getting my 4 dimms to boot with XMP or any setting for that matter. 2 Dimms works fine no issue. This is my second kit. Ram is on the supported list for the motherboard and its 4 identical sticks. No matter the setting, even manually setting it to 1333mhz results in failure to boot, then after a delay a bios reset happens automatically where it then boots to windows and the ram is then running 2400mhz so base speed, and 17-17-16-39-2T. If i reboot after this it goes through the same failure to boot and resets the bios before it can start op. I don't even have to go into the bios and change stuff for this to happen.

Specs:
Gigabyte auros M b450, Bios F42a.
4x kingston HyperX Predator 3200 CL16 16-18-18-18-36-1T (2 kits of 2x8gb, HX432C16PB3k2/16).
Ryzen 3600(non x).

I'm tearing my hair out, whatever little thats left.

Soldato
You sound like you need to use the Ryzen RAM calculator thing. Manually set some voltage and you should away. Apologies for not having the link. I'm sure another AMD owner will come along shortly and link it.

Soldato
OP
You sound like you need to use the Ryzen RAM calculator thing. Manually set some voltage and you should away. Apologies for not having the link. I'm sure another AMD owner will come along shortly and link it.
I already have it. The settings for safe did jack for me. On a side note though, after again loading defaults in the bios i was able to set the timings from my 3200 XMP setting manually and it stuck this time, however it seems the board has reverted its bios to F40 now.. out the blue. I swear sometimes this board has a will of its own. Now atleast i can run 3200mhz CL16, downside is that it seems like my latency has gone up from 69ish ns to 79ish ns.

Associate
Hi, did you happen to do this when (of if) your BIOS was updated to F42a:

Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU

Soldato
OP
Hi, did you happen to do this when (of if) your BIOS was updated to F42a:

Before update BIOS to F40, you have to install EC FW Update Tool (B19.0517.1 or later version) to avoid 4DIMM DDR compatibility on 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ CPU
I don't update from usb stick/software but from quick flash. That said i did update to F32 first as required and then f40 and later F42.

Associate
Apologies, but to be clear you went F32->EC FW Update Tool->F40->F42

The EC FW Update Tool is run within windows, when I did this step on my son's board the bios reverted to F1.

So that process went, F32->EC FW Update Tool->F1 (this was on reboot)->F40....etc

Soldato
OP
Apologies, but to be clear you went F32->EC FW Update Tool->F40->F42

The EC FW Update Tool is run within windows, when I did this step on my son's board the bios reverted to F1.

So that process went, F32->EC FW Update Tool->F1 (this was on reboot)->F40....etc

No i never update through windows. My understanding of the text on gigabytes website is that you only have to use the specific version of EC FW Update tool in case you update through windows. I went F32-F40-f42a. All done through quick flash in the bios. I hope this wasn't a mistake.

Associate
The EC firmware update tool is a program in its own right, it’s not part of the normal bios process.

Highly likely that is why you are having issues with 4 dimms installed.

On reflection my son has had no issues with his rig. Tridentz 32gb c14.

Soldato
OP
The EC firmware update tool is a program in its own right, it’s not part of the normal bios process.

Highly likely that is why you are having issues with 4 dimms installed.

On reflection my son has had no issues with his rig. Tridentz 32gb c14.

I see, thats the mistake then. I thought the EC update tool was just a tool for updating the bios through windows or usb pen. Thanks for bringing that info to light. I've run the EC firmware update now and afterwards updated to the latest bios F42g and it seems to have done the trick. Cheers and thanks a lot buddy.

Back
Top Bottom