4 gig ram on win 32

Soldato
I did a search but it never showed anything i was looking for, i am using Win 7 32 atm and have upgraded to 4 gig ram, now i know it won't show the full amount due to the limitations of 32 bit.

It says i have 3.25 gig ram, but i reading on some forums users saying that includes Graphics card memory and normal ram combined when gaming is this true ? i just thought i had 3.25 gig of memory to use and my normal 1gig of memory on my 5850 on top.

Soldato
A 32 bit OS can only address 4gig of memory. That includes Ram, Vram (Graphics card memory), HD Cache etc..

It doesn't matter if you're gaming, working, watching "adult" movies or so on.

Soldato
I'd have said you've got 3.25 GB that Windows can use, and your graphics card has an additional 1 GB.
Unless Windows can only address a total of 3.25GB at any one time, and that how graphics card RAM is used.
As you can tell, I dunno :)

EDIT: just seen previous reply - so with 3.25 reported in Windows, 250MB of his graphics card memory is "wasted"?

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Unless you're using the RC, then if you can get hold of a 64 bit disc you can probably use your current license key with it. I think this is the case if it's a retail copy anyway.

Soldato
I had the same thing when I had 32-bit Windows 7 installed. Showed the reserve memory to be taking up the rest. Installed Windows 7 64-bit and reports back 4gb fully useable.

I had a look at the time and people were stating that in Vista or older builds it states you have 4gb available on a 32-bit machine but you don't so Windows 7 is more "honest" or something? Either way, upgrade to 64-bit and you'll be sorted.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
To hell with old pcs!

my old IBM T41 only has a 32-bit cpu (that's soldered to the motherboard). should i be forced to not run Windows 7 on it?

this is actually a moot argument - ATI decided not to release graphics drivers for it and lenovo are blaming ATI...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom