1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Discussion in 'CPUs' started by Journey, 30 May 2018.

1. X-Mikuru_Beam-X

Hitman

I’ve been out the loop for a while on modern CPU’s, Do people manually overclock these Coffeelake chips like with the 4770k for example? Or do you leave them stock and allow them to boost on there own?

I’m interested in one of these 8086k Chips to replace my 4770k but I’m not sure I’d know how to set it up to run optimally...

2. SiDeards73

Soldato

Most people would delid an 8700k, remove the rubbish TIM, replace it with something decent and the overclock the chip to the desired frequency.

AMD Ryzen+ chips on the other hand, you get the most mileage overclocking the ram then setting the bios to boost the CPU.

3. Journey

Sgarrista

A few people, not most by a huge margin.

4. eddiew

Wise Guy

Yer, respectfully, most people are not going to risk their expensive new CPU by delidding it, especially if they've never delidded before.

But the relevant answer is that most people who overclock Intel... overclock. Pick your volts, pick your frequencies, and try not to melt anything :)

Ryzen 2 on the other hand; leave it alone and let it use it's own boosts. They're coming out of the factory set to the upper limit of what the silicon can handle anyway, there's nothing more to be gained.

5. 8 Pack

OcUK Staff

We will bin, delid etc from launch of this cpu, just as we did with 8700k, 7700k etc etc....

We will offer silver and special copper ihs options also.

6. Dirk Diggler

Capodecina

If it's advertised to hit 5.0Ghz out the box, then what's to bin?

7. humbug

Caporegime

Right. They are already binned 8700K's.

This is just Intel getting in on the act of selling selected CPU's for more money.

8. Journey

Sgarrista

der8auer finally sending you some love from Casking.de with those IHS's then, haven't they had them pretty much since the launch of the 8700K?

9. kitfit1

Mobster

Mmmmmmmmm, the "gouging" force is strong on this one.

10. Troezar

Mobster

To be fair if there were people with oodles of cash queuing up to throw money at me for small gains in performance I'd snap their hands off too. I'd just buy a retail chip and take my chances but then I don't have oodles of cash ;)

It's also a good thing that their are companies around that can offer these services add there are people who enjoy their tech, have money but no skills or confidence/time to do it themselves.

Now if it was food and water I'd be revolting with the peasants too lol

11. chaparral

Capodecina

Wonder what going be the price difference between these two cpu's...

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8086K
    Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k

12. chaparral

Capodecina

My new 8700k I received yesterday is L751D415

No tested it yet as waiting for the motherboard & Ram to come..

13. chaparral

Capodecina

Wonder if this new Cpu will need one the new z390 motherboards that meant to be coming out very soon :eek:

14. 8 Pack

OcUK Staff

No we had for a long time also just pm did not set up on the website for a while. We had them up on 8700k afew months now.

It's not price gouging at all people get the product they pay for and speed they pay for with better thermals and warranty.

If you want a 5.3 chip for example or more then they will be priced according to the percentage doing the given figure and how difficult they are to find.

Some businesses not just individuals will pay extra for any gains most of our highest binned chips go this way these days.

These run on z370

Last edited: 31 May 2018
  15. BTVA

Gangster

I don't really want people to read my comment and hold high expectation as silicon lottery is a game of statistics :p Good luck with your chip and please tag me in when you find out how overclockable the chip is.

16. SupraWez

Wise Guy

I wonder what speed the binned units will hit.

17. Journey

Sgarrista

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k currently £799, in 2 weeks, it'll be worth about £400 and that's being generous. The lower end ones have already been reduced to clear, well reduced, but still they'll be worth the same as an 8700K non-binned CPU in 2 weeks (Total Recall, keps coming to mind :D)

If you just bought an 8700K, then it's a real shame since the price will no doubt fall once these land.

18. bru

Soldato

yes makes you wonder if 5.5 might be possible or even more.

19. chaparral

Capodecina

Yes it very annoying that I just bought my 8700k and haven't even built this new PC yet and then I read that a faster i7-8086K is being released in a few weeks time...

20. IT Troll

Mobster

If you’ve just received it and haven’t used it yet you can always return it.