• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Associate
Sure... though naturally there will be a difference in price. Buyers in this situation would have to consider the value of paying the difference between a lottery 8700K and what appears to be a pre-binned 5Ghz+ 8700K.

The fact that these are doing 5Ghz with toothpaste is interesting. I look forward to seeing what their ceiling is.

Associate
Would only be tempted to upgrade from 6700k if this 8086 has the meltdown fix at hardware level. Overall looking forward to see the benchmarks

Associate
Almost certain to not have any fixes, this is just a 8700k

Agreed. However if benchmarks look good I might just go for it for raw performance.

Their already has been a performance hit for meltdown (as a worse case scenario).

I would get a good return on my 6700k now and keep my DDR4 memory and get just mobo + cpu + cooler. The only thing thats keeping me is intels 9th Generation and the release of PCI Express 4.0

My current Setup

Gaming Machine - i7 System
CPU: Intel i7 6700K @4.2GHz | Cooler: Noctua U12 | Mobo: Asus Maximus VIII Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB | Video: eVGA GTX 1080ti SC Black |
Case: Cooltek W1 | Display: Asus Designo MX279AQ

Soldato
I'd put a tenner on there being no actual changes other than binning, so no security fixes.

But I can't lie, I'm tempted by that boost clock. Usually starved for single-core performance, and if the stock clocks satisfy that, then maybe an ITX board would have plenty of VRM power for it?

Man of Honour
Wonder what going be the price difference between these two cpu's...

Binned 5.2ghz i7-8086K
Binned 5.2ghz i7-8700k

8086K should be higher:
-Faster and more expensive chip pre-binning
-Higher resale value due to the above
-"Anniversary Edition" chip so a bit rarer
-Potentially better silicon due to on average being more recent than a 8700K

Slightly tenuous but you'd be expecting prices at least $100 higher on the 8086K.

Soldato
Yes it very annoying that I just bought my 8700k and haven't even built this new PC yet and then I read that a faster i7-8086K is being released in a few weeks time...

The anniversary chip is just a very highly binned 8700K, Nothing architecturally different, Delid your 8700K, Put some liquid metal on it and then overclock it, I did and got 5.1GHz stable across all cores.

Soldato
This will render the £650 binned 8700K @ 5.1 pointless, as it will do the same and come in much cheaper.

And it will do it on toothpaste so it's actually a higher binned chip anyway. It's a shame it's not soldered for good thermals. Not into fans ramping up constantly.

Soldato
Would only be tempted to upgrade from 6700k if this 8086 has the meltdown fix at hardware level. Overall looking forward to see the benchmarks

6700k, 7700k, 8700k, 8086k and the 8 core presumably named 9700k are all Skylake architecture, which is coming up to three years old.

I've had my 6700k @ 4.7Ghz since August 2015, not upgrading until Icelake releases on 10nm. That will be a new architecture, hardware security fixes and will have 5-15% IPC improvement, as well as 8 core mainstream as standard.

Soldato
This will render the £650 binned 8700K @ 5.1 pointless, as it will do the same and come in much cheaper.

And it will do it on toothpaste so it's actually a higher binned chip anyway. It's a shame it's not soldered for good thermals. Not into fans ramping up constantly.

What are you on about.

The £650 binned 8700K at 5.1 which I'm taking your word for exists, does it on all cores at once.

5.1 on an 8086K is from it cutting the clock on 5/6 cores and pushing the best core to 5.1.

This is not special for this CPU or for Intel, it's a thing for every high end CPU these days, the fanciest boost clock is what it can get by sacrificing the clock speed of all but one core.

Associate
Im very tempted, currently rocking a 4700k, been feeling the need to upgrade, but specially with the security flaw was going to try on hold on for a hardware fix but I did read it won’t be fix for the 9700k either and that won’t be 10nm it be 14nm. I know it all rumours but gut feeling is intel does seem to be struggling and pace seem to be slowing down, and I kinda thinking now it will be 2020 before we get real next gen cpu.

Soldato
Im very tempted, currently rocking a 4700k, been feeling the need to upgrade, but specially with the security flaw was going to try on hold on for a hardware fix but I did read it won’t be fix for the 9700k either and that won’t be 10nm it be 14nm. I know it all rumours but gut feeling is intel does seem to be struggling and pace seem to be slowing down, and I kinda thinking now it will be 2020 before we get real next gen cpu.
Ice Lake might be a decent step, but the next major leap probably won't come until that Ocean Cove they are making, that won't be until maybe a few years.

Back
Top Bottom