• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

40th Anniversary Intel - Core i7-8086K - 5.0GHz+

Soldato
What are you on about.

The £650 binned 8700K at 5.1 which I'm taking your word for exists, does it on all cores at once.

5.1 on an 8086K is from it cutting the clock on 5/6 cores and pushing the best core to 5.1.

This is not special for this CPU or for Intel, it's a thing for every high end CPU these days, the fanciest boost clock is what it can get by sacrificing the clock speed of all but one core.

You could have taken 10 seconds to click on the overclockers link rather than take my word for it but i'll make it easy for you: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-00m-oe.html

With the 8086K it will likely be a case of enabling MCE and an easy 5.1 on all cores, so I stand by it making the binned chip pointless (unless you want to pay that much for a de-lid)

Soldato
You could have taken 10 seconds to click on the overclockers link rather than take my word for it but i'll make it easy for you: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-00m-oe.html

With the 8086K it will likely be a case of enabling MCE and an easy 5.1 on all cores, so I stand by it making the binned chip pointless (unless you want to pay that much for a de-lid)

I cba searching for it because it was irrelevant to the point that one was guaranteed all core, the other is advertising a boost speed for single core. You are basing your belief that it does an easy 5.1 all core on... nothing.

Soldato
I don't really want people to read my comment and hold high expectation as silicon lottery is a game of statistics :p Good luck with your chip and please tag me in when you find out how overclockable the chip is.

It seemed very true though as originally under very short stock most were cracking 5-5.1 and then with lots of stock much lower odds. Smart marketing if that was the idea.

Not sure how this new chip would fair against my original retail batch now delidded 8700k which runs 5.3 tops. Seems like it would be very similar performance if I was lucky enough to get one which clocked that high.

Soldato
Is it not the same chip?
So if you clock it to the same amount , then the performance should be identical?
Or are there actually differences excluding the base settings?

Soldato
I cba searching for it because it was irrelevant to the point that one was guaranteed all core, the other is advertising a boost speed for single core. You are basing your belief that it does an easy 5.1 all core on... nothing.

No, on the fact that their existing lineup does an all core boost at the rated turbo speed. Hence MCE. There's nothing to suggest this chip won't do the same.

Associate
No, on the fact that their existing lineup does an all core boost at the rated turbo speed. Hence MCE. There's nothing to suggest this chip won't do the same.
There's a point at which the single core Turbo Boost speed is not sustainable with all cores loaded at sane voltages/temps or even at all.
I suspect these new chips will manage it but at what price in terms of voltage/temps?
Time will tell.

Associate
Anniversarilary flawed ;)
That's actually rather fitting as 8086 and x86 were for years a very very flawed architecture compared to just about all the alternatives. Almost no registers, a 20 bit address bus, 64KB memory models, real-mode etc. (although some of those things were only an issue due to 286 and 386 being so weird).
If only IBM back then had chosen something decent like the Motorola 68000K for the original PC

Associate
my 8700k does an easy 5ghz unbinned, and un delided on all 6, with no tinkering required. Was a happy day when that piece of silicon arrived.

Soldato
People still running 6 core cpus? wow and for £400 plus hahahahaha :D

anyways ill wait for the AMD 9080 40th Anniversary to come out it will be 8 cores and Soldered and half the price :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom