43 marathons in 51 days, run by..

Soldato
In my lifetime i want to run from the top of Scotland to the bottom of England.

For no reason either. I will do it eventually, whether I will get people to sponsor me I don't care, maybe people can join in... I hope so.

I want to do a Forrest Gump ;)

Count me in :D I would love to do that!

Man of Honour
Heard about this ages ago and then seen the documentry appear on iplayer, its a really interesting watch just to see what the human body can do if your mind really wants to.
Its a good little motivation for before the gym :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I couldn't think of a bigger mental challenge. Nor a more boring one! running that many marathons, mega achievement. *tips hat*.

Soldato
Thinking about it, the only way you'd get me to run a marathon is if you burst into my room and physically made me do it there and then. Don't think I could mentally prepare myself for that kind of torture.

I'd rather do a weeks worth of consecutive high volume leg workouts!

Soldato
just watched this on iplayer

hat of to the guy, what an amazing thing to do

yes many people could probablly do this, but how many acutally have

really made me think so highly of him now

Man of Honour
This is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen and every now & then I shed a little tear because I know hard it is to do one marathon.
My problem with this is that he is actually completing his marathons in less than average walking pace (3 mph) but you only ever see him running :confused:
I'm not having a dig at Izzard but the way the producers are delivering the programme.
Walking a marathon a day is still a huge task.
RESPECT

Soldato
Not belittling what Eddie Izzard has done at all, but he's shown that you probably could. A decent support team behind you and plenty of time and pretty much anyone could do this (physically at least, I guess some people might not mentally be able to take it).

I'd suggest that 90-95% of people wouldn't have the mental strength to do it, probably fewer. It's incredible.

Soldato
My problem with this is that he is actually completing his marathons in less than average walking pace (3 mph) but you only ever see him running :confused:
I'm not having a dig at Izzard but the way the producers are delivering the programme.
Walking a marathon a day is still a huge task.
RESPECT

I read this in the paper a couple of months back when he had finished it and they say that he cut his marathon time from 10 hours to 5 hours over the period as his body got fitter/adapted etc.

Soldato
Massive respect for him, and this has been without doubt the best television I have seen in quite a while. With regards to an earlier post, yes, it shows that most people could physically do it with the support team. What it doesn't show though is the mental discipline required to do it,and I think that is a much rarer thing to find.

I'm proud to say I've actually started running myself now, partly down to seeing Eddie do this.

Soldato
[DOD]Asprilla;16150706 said:
I'd suggest that 90-95% of people wouldn't have the mental strength to do it, probably fewer. It's incredible.
I think the fact you're doing it for charity and there is a film crew watching you the whole time would be a pretty good motivator for most people. Like I said it's still really impressive, but more in the sense of "this is what the human body can do", if you listen to what Eddie is saying as he's done this I got that impression from him.

Back
Top Bottom