• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

4790k -> R5 2600. Any specific benchmarks?

Soldato
With a bit of luck i might get my new parts for a cheapo ryzen build. I was wondering if there was a benchmark someone might want to see run on my current system and the new? maybe to help with deciding on a purchase later on?

Current old system:
i7 [email protected] ( can be oc'd to 4.7 maybe even 4.9) cooled by Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler
Asus Sabertooth z87
Kingston Fury DDR3 1600mhz 2x8 gb 9-9-9-27-1t
Sapphire nitro+ vega 64
1080p temp monitor

New system:
Ryzen r5 2600 cooled by stock wraith cooler as i dont have a mounting bracket for my cryorig
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M motherboard
Kingston HyperX Pred DDR4-3200 DC - 16GB 16-18-18
Sapphire nitro+ vega 64
1080p temp monitor

Personally im not expecting much in terms of average fps but i am hoping for a 10%ish bump in minimum and a less spiky frametime line. Of course this is highly dependent on the title testet.

Caporegime
just get fraps do 1 min benchmarks on your favourite games . do min max and avg framerate. very simple to do and will show you what you need. its a good thing to show you what you upgraded to and how you benefit.

i think in some games you will notice even at similar frame rate it feels smoother. performance wise it depends on the game. some games like raw mhz so the 4790k might just be in front depends on the 2600 speed.

the good thing is you can still get top dollar for 4790ks. so this will ofset the price of upgrading to a newer platform.

if you can access mm someone is actually looking for one right now.

Soldato
OP
just get fraps do 1 min benchmarks on your favourite games . do min max and avg framerate. very simple to do and will show you what you need. its a good thing to show you what you upgraded to and how you benefit.

i think in some games you will notice even at similar frame rate it feels smoother. performance wise it depends on the game. some games like raw mhz so the 4790k might just be in front depends on the 2600 speed.

the good thing is you can still get top dollar for 4790ks. so this will ofset the price of upgrading to a newer platform.

if you can access mm someone is actually looking for one right now.

Well that is what i am hoping for.. For the most part the actual framerate has been fine but it has been ridden with microstutter at times and always when the cpu util has been hitting around 80% or more. BF 5 has been very taxing but there are also other games that have been pounding the living **** out of the little quad core :p.

Soldato
I would try get a 2600x in the hope of it reaching 4.3 all core then slightly faster 3200 c14 ram if you haven't already. Worth it in the long run if you're thinking of going zen 2. X chip should hold its value better.

Soldato
OP
I would try get a 2600x in the hope of it reaching 4.3 all core then slightly faster 3200 c14 ram if you haven't already. Worth it in the long run if you're thinking of going zen 2. X chip should hold its value better.

The whole point of this purchase was for it to be as cheap as possible.. CL14 ram is not cheap and the kit i have chosen cost around 60% of the cheapest cl14 3200mhz i could find here in DKK. I am hoping that i can tweak the timings on the kit to perhaps 15-16-16 or something like that with a bit of extra voltage. Ive had good luck in the past with kingston memory. The 2600x i see no point in really and im fairly certain i can get within 100-150mhz of if anyway OCed vs OCed. Besides i will most likely be upgrading to the 3000 series late next year unless the performance is 10% or less.

Soldato
The whole point of this purchase was for it to be as cheap as possible.. CL14 ram is not cheap and the kit i have chosen cost around 60% of the cheapest cl14 3200mhz i could find here in DKK. I am hoping that i can tweak the timings on the kit to perhaps 15-16-16 or something like that with a bit of extra voltage. Ive had good luck in the past with kingston memory. The 2600x i see no point in really and im fairly certain i can get within 100-150mhz of if anyway OCed vs OCed. Besides i will most likely be upgrading to the 3000 series late next year unless the performance is 10% or less.

Thought about a similar upgrade myself. It's not cheap at all for tiny gains if any next to your i7 at 4.5 say, in particular when the 2600 might not hit 4.2 ac with possibly c16 ram. It's more ivy and sandy owners that see the gains at lower clock speeds like mine and even then they aren't great for the outlay. Zen 2 will address this based on what we've seen. I personally wouldn't want a pcie 3 board when pcie4 is so close plus you know you're guaranteed to get the best performance on an x570 board compared to b350 with a bios flash. There's also a chance x570 might contain further boost features that won't be avaliable on b350 or x470. That's speculation of course.

Associate
I am upgrading to Ryzen from a i5 4590k
But should I get the Ryzen 1700x or 2600? Both are a similar price at the moment.

Caporegime
2600 for Gaming ^^^^ higher per core performance.

Well that is what i am hoping for.. For the most part the actual framerate has been fine but it has been ridden with microstutter at times and always when the cpu util has been hitting around 80% or more. BF 5 has been very taxing but there are also other games that have been pounding the living **** out of the little quad core :p.

I had that problem with my 4.5Ghz 4690K, Very high CPU load and stutter.

Upgraded to the Ryzen 1600 and never looked back, actual frame rates are not always higher but always smoooooooth now, its like night and day.

Soldato
OP
2600 for Gaming ^^^^ higher per core performance.

I had that problem with my 4.5Ghz 4690K, Very high CPU load and stutter.

Upgraded to the Ryzen 1600 and never looked back, actual frame rates are not always higher but always smoooooooth now, its like night and day.

Just got my parts today and tbh i'm not making it easy for the ryzen to shine. Its a crap b450 board without cooling on the top vrms, no bclk ocing, no direct voltage setting only offset(better than none i suppose), also cpu is on its silly little stock cooler and while i do have 3200mhz ram its only 16-18-18. Currently with all these limitations in place i have it OCed to 3,9ghz and compared to my [email protected] (1886mhz ddr3 9-9-9-27) my fps is slightly higher in BF5 and incredible smooth. Cinebench score doesnt really impress me much as its only around 1342. Never the less actual gameplay has been great for the very limited time i've had to play today. Can't wait for my am4 mounting kit to arrive for my cryorig r1 ultimate. Poor little motherboard will most likely snap in 2 due to the weight :p

Associate
Just got my parts today and tbh i'm not making it easy for the ryzen to shine. Its a crap b450 board without cooling on the top vrms, no bclk ocing, no direct voltage setting only offset(better than none i suppose), also cpu is on its silly little stock cooler and while i do have 3200mhz ram its only 16-18-18. Currently with all these limitations in place i have it OCed to 3,9ghz and compared to my [email protected] (1886mhz ddr3 9-9-9-27) my fps is slightly higher in BF5 and incredible smooth. Cinebench score doesnt really impress me much as its only around 1342. Never the less actual gameplay has been great for the very limited time i've had to play today. Can't wait for my am4 mounting kit to arrive for my cryorig r1 ultimate. Poor little motherboard will most likely snap in 2 due to the weight :p
Which board did you buy?
Nice to see you have seen an improvement. I will be upgrading from a 4690k so should see a more significant increase.

Soldato
OP
Which board did you buy?
Nice to see you have seen an improvement. I will be upgrading from a 4690k so should see a more significant increase.

I got the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M as it was the only board within the budget i set that had the proper spacing between top and bottom pcie sockets. Couldn't use my Xonar Essence STX soundcard otherwise and the onboard sound is just terrible(i tried it briefly). I also found a few heatsinks from when i got the proligmatech mk-26 GPU cooler and used some of them to cool the top VRM components and that has been working fairly well.

Soldato
OP
So a small update, ive finaly got the am4 bracket for my cryorig r1 ultimate cooler. running a stress test in realbench no longer results in temps of 82c+ and lockups at 3.9ghz at 1.32vcore but instead stable and no more than 55c. I cannot however push for stable 4.0ghz in realbench as the board wont allow for more offset vcore and therefor the max total vcore seems to be capped at 1.365 which just isn't enough it seems. Temps still not an issue. It stinks as its really close to stable. should be noted that due to my little heatsink mod on the top vrms they never go above 50 degrees according to hwinfo.

EDIT:
It seems the way to overclock on this board is using pstates which is interesting as its a new concept of ocing to me. I can set whatever voltage and core clock and it works fairly well. Ive been up to 1.45v as a test and 4.2ghz but not stable sadly but atleast i know how to push this system a bit more.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom