• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

480 GTX SLI upgrade?

Soldato
If prime95 crashes and not linx id say memory was unstable. Btw nice temps on that sli andy mine runs sooooo hot, the first card

Nope. Memory was untouched and it was a small FFT test with no memory.

Prime was obviously doing something to the CPU that LinX wasn't.

And that is pretty much why I have come to the conclusion that such applications are a test of stupidity (kinda like shoving your head in an oven) than of if your PC is stable.

TBH I don't really care if my PC can run Prime 95 as it isn't fun. It doesn't have multiplayer, and doesn't even have a sexy voice. It's just a pile of synthetic **** and has no bearing on what I use my PC for.

If my PC does what I want it to and run all of the apps and games I play with a said overclock I am happy with that. I no longer feel the urge to put it under stupid synthetic loads just to break the hardware.

Associate
A good real world workout for cards I have found recently is Alan Wake (a rare instance of a console port done right). Crank the setting up to max it it stresses the GPU more than any other game I have seen. Got my pair of WC'd 480's (900core 1.125v) to nearly 70C. Nothing else I have even comes close to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
A good real world workout for cards I have found recently is Alan Wake (a rare instance of a console port done right). Crank the setting up to max it it stresses the GPU more than any other game I have seen. Got my pair of WC'd 480's (900core 1.125v) to nearly 70C. Nothing else I have even comes close to that.

That's strange.
I dont find this with Alan Wake.

I find BF3 and GTA 4 heavily modded stress mine the most.

Soldato
Running a single GTX 480 here, I can max out BF3 everything set to maxium (Ultra) with Post AA set to highest (High) and MSAA set to 2, I get around 45fps - 60fps, over 60fps if I disable MSAA. I don't experience the slowdowns the OP mentioned, I have 2700K @ 4.8Ghz, 16GB 2133Mhz, my ram usage on GPU hovers around 1350mb...

Used 480's are so cheap right now, adding another is a cheap upgrade and should give insane performance.

I might add a second card myself later on :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom