Associate
The challenge is to create a vintage 486 machine to the highest possible specifcation built using what I have in the loft and what I can get my hands on, trying to keep it as authentic as possible by using parts from around that era.

The feedback on this idea has been mixed, some people are quite nostalgic and others recoil in horror at their memories of endlessly loading drivers after a painful installation and configuration of dos and windows. Either way you can have fun watching the build or laughing at me trying as I've decided to give it a go.

So it begins...

Associate
OP

There's an Creative Vibra and an Creative AWE64 Gold, by some miracle I found the drivers.

The AWE64 is the better card by far and has the drivers so that's the sound card sorted.

Associate
OP

3DFX Voodoo 3
ELSA Gladiac
Diamond S3 Virge / Stealth 3D 2000

Convinced that the ELSA is faster than the 3DFX card, given that the ELSA Gladiac 511 PCI is basically an Early GeForce card. But this can be benchmarked later to confirm.

Associate
OP

I have 256MB of memory, two 72-pin 128MB sets. Think the most memory my 486/pentiums had was 16MB at the time.

After an exhausting search I could not find the 30-pin set, I had a 32MB set but I must have thrown them out.

Associate
OP
True, it was unheard of to have 128MB of memory, I suppose the late 90s socket 3 boards had better support for larger amounts of memory.

I did have 16MB with my 486 mid 90s however it was on two full length cards.

Associate
OP

@hornetstinger - I think my first few machines cost less than £300. Had a bit more of a budget for myself when I started selling them on.

@CapitalOne - You might be glad to see that this build features that mighty DX4 100. I do have a DX2 66 too but I turned to ebay to get the DX4.

Associate

Ohh yeah, the mighty DX4 100! Looking forward to seeing how this build pans out. I'm currently putting together a 486 build which is based around a DX2 66 and ECS elite umc um8810 motherboard. I have so many ISA sound cards its so hard to choose what to use in a build.

I personally would look at getting something with a yamaha OPL3 chip onboard. The AWE64 is a great card but i find the creative opl clone (CQM) makes some games sound strange.

Soldato
The challenge is to create a vintage 486 machine to the highest possible specifcation built using what I have in the loft and what I can get my hands on, trying to keep it as authentic as possible by using parts from around that era.

The feedback on this idea has been mixed, some people are quite nostalgic and others recoil in horror at their memories of endlessly loading drivers after a painful installation and configuration of dos and windows. Either way you can have fun watching the build or laughing at me trying as I've decided to give it a go.

So it begins...

My first home built was an Intel 486DX33 which I shortly upgraded to a 486DX2-80 (AMD or SGS Thompson can't recall). Luckily the motherboard had dipswitches for 25/33/40MHz bus clocks. This replaced my [email protected] so was a real stormer. I had 4 x 30 pin memory making one bank of 4MB.

Expect endless hours of memory allocations, interrupts, autoexec.bat and config.sys commands.

Actually my 486 ran mainly in windows 3.1 / 3.11. The 286 with its 1MB later 2MB was a DOS only machine.

This was all pre-internet so no cheating, I expect it all to be done with paper manuals, magazines, guesswork and Peter Nortons bibles. :p

The DX33 build was over a £1000 in 1993, the 286 was not much cheaper in 1990.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My first home built was an Intel 486DX33 which I shortly upgraded to a 486DX2-80 (AMD or SGS Thompson can't recall). Luckily the motherboard had dipswitches for 25/33/40MHz bus clocks. This replaced my [email protected] so was a real stormer. I had 4 x 30 pin memory making one bank of 4MB.

Expect endless hours of memory allocations, interrupts, autoexec.bat and config.sys commands.

Actually my 486 ran mainly in windows 3.1 / 3.11. The 286 with its 1MB later 2MB was a DOS only machine.

This was all pre-internet so no cheating, I expect it all to be done with paper manuals, magazines, guesswork and Peter Nortons bibles. :p

The DX33 build was over a £1000 in 1993, the 286 was not much cheaper in 1990.

It was the few who had PCs back in the 1990s, remember at school when they had RM Nimbus 186's everywhere on trolleys. One PC in one classroom at a time.

Yeah, it wasn't a case of slotting everything together and firing it up and letting the software sort everything out on a custom build. Jumper settings, dipswitches, lots of reading the manual before you even think about turning it on. Making sure all the pins on the CPU were aligned on a refit too. Then there's the installation and configuration of the OS and the drivers.

I remember the odd snag used to take days if not weeks to sort out.

Of course you could just buy one in PC world when that came about, but that would cost a fortune. Prices did come down eventually and always kept a look out for computer fairs. I remember when PC world had a sale on, PC's from £999 at a time you could build a better one for less than half that.

Associate
OP
Ohh yeah, the mighty DX4 100! Looking forward to seeing how this build pans out. I'm currently putting together a 486 build which is based around a DX2 66 and ECS elite umc um8810 motherboard. I have so many ISA sound cards its so hard to choose what to use in a build.

I personally would look at getting something with a yamaha OPL3 chip onboard. The AWE64 is a great card but i find the creative opl clone (CQM) makes some games sound strange.

Would be good to see another 486 build going on, post it up!

To be fair I've thrown an astonishing amount of old kit away over the years, it just seems to pile up. It was only the well known branded stuff that I kept.

Associate
OP
Love this thread. My first ever pc was a 486dx4 100mhz. Also 16mb ram and an s3 virge like the one you have!

Lucky. The 486 DX4 100 would have been my dream machine back in the day.

No ideal how I've still got that S3 verge card, found it alongside a Techworks Interactive 3DFX graphics accelerator card.

Associate
OP

So I've got an AT case, which has seen some use - bit of a clean up and it will look new again. eBay came to the rescue with a boxed CPU heatsink and AT to PS/2 converter.

Associate
OP
So next on the list is the motherboard...

It's an A-Trend ATC-1425A motherboard with a SiS chipset and is in immaculate condition.

It has support for 3v and 5v CPUs so will take the DX4 100 and will take the 128MB (4x 32MB 72-Pin modules) memory.

This is another eBay buy which cost a small fortune and came all the way from canada. Forgot to mention that the CPU was from the US, bizarrely it was cheaper and easier to buy and pay for postage from the US than buying from the UK. The 486 processers are quite sought after here as it turns out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jumper heaven!

My board was a little older than that shown as it came just prior to PCI and had 8 bit and 16 bit ISA slots and two vesa local bus slots which were 32bit like PCI but looked like ISA with an extension slot. These two supported a VLbus graphics card and a VLbus I/O card with FDD, HDD, serial and parallel connectors.

When i did get PCI later, I had the S3 Virge (upgraded memory) and a 3DFX Voodoo 2 3D card (for Doom etc.)

I wish I had kept my Computer jumble however it was taking up two wardrobes and so I had a massive clearout.

Back
Top Bottom